Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocky2005

How do you source your lighting?

Hi, I'm doing market research for a lighting showroom and could use some input from you. How do you source your lighting now?

1. Retail store? 2. Online merchant? 3. Distributor?

Comments (14)

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

i think most search online, but then seek a lighting store for touch and feel. however that doesnt mean they buy from the store... I also think, some people like to "shop local" and others, just look for the best deal...

Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design thanked User
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    8 years ago
    My decorative lighting I buy from a showroom, the touch and feel aspect. Things like cans might come from a showroom or big box. Maybe 5% online- usually specialty or replacement.
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design thanked Ellsworth Design Build
  • Boomers775
    8 years ago
    My inlaws own a lighting boutique so 95% of my lighting comes from them but I have found some great deals online with their blessings.
    They have looked into going online as they have a considerable number of people coming in to view products and then go online to see if they can get a better deal.
    Many contractors and builders use their outlet for both builder grade lighting and high end fixtures.
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design thanked Boomers775
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

I shop about 80% on line but when really getting specific I shop in store

Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi, thanks for all of your responses. I'm hoping the conversation continues so I can gather more feedback. I'll keep you posted about the conclusions we draw and how my client decides to move forward. Thanks again!!!

• apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

Online. The two independent lighting stores near me do a great job on repairs but a poor job of presenting on-trend fixtures and traditional fixtures. A lighting store should also stock a wide variety of light bulbs, including the most popular types. Being the go-to place for bulbs gets people in the store.

A changing knock-out window display helps, too.

Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design thanked apple_pie_order
  • PRO
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi avery2ptO, Great feedback. Homeowners and Interior Design professionals often think about lighting differently. As a homeowner, the look of a fixture is key. Finding a chandelier or pendant that they love and has the right style drives their decision to buy. It's overwhelming, though, when a homeowner needs to factor in the right scale (size) for a room. Naturally, seeing an item in person is the only way they can visualize it.

• PRO
    Original Author
    8 years ago

For designers, the application, lumens, lampling (type of bulb) and other considerations are most important. Avery, you made the best case example of why Designers are really important to guide a consumer's selection process. Thanks....!

• apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

Some homeowners look for brightness and light quality first and foremost. Design and style can be secondary considerations. If a homeowner wants to read newspapers at breakfast before dawn in her dining room, the light has to be bright enough then, even if she wants it dimmer during the evening. If she's working with a designer, communication about priorities is important. In the chandelier case, adding wall sconces may make up the light deficiency caused by an inadequate but gorgeous chandelier. Family heirloom chandeliers often have to be worked around. A good designer can envision complementary fixtures and come up with good options from several sources.

Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design thanked apple_pie_order
  • PRO
    Foley Development Group
    8 years ago

I send my clients to lighting showrooms. Dominion or Dulles Electric in Northern VA

Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design thanked Foley Development Group
  • User
    8 years ago

Our electrician was a major source of information. We just did renovations in every room - kitchen, master bath, two other baths, painted every room, retextured ceilings every room. Electrician was fabulous to ask hundreds of questions about what we wanted (recessed, undercounter, ceiling fixtures; where do you want to be able to turn what fixture on and off, do you want dimmers, what kind of bulbs, etc), and was very upfront about costs (ie, different types of undercounter lighting, more expensive doesn't mean better, etc). It was he who turned me on to Hubbardton Forge lighting and we bought six different fixtures! The powder room light was something we saw in the bath showroom.....originally intended for the hall bath until hubby saw the lighted fogfree mirror and went with that, so that fixture ended up in the powder room. I researched master bath sconces on line.....had a general idea of what I wanted, narrowed it down, and hit the lighting showroom with a list (the salesperson said she wished everyone would do that it makes life easier!). Same with the light over my kitchen table. Know your lifestyle and how you want to use lighting. Our kitchen designer wasn't into how things would be lighted, she only cared about whether things would fit into the space, and we didn't use a designer for anything else.....although I confess we thought about having someone come to the house, but the electrician actually worked out perfectly!

Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design thanked User
  • PRO
    Magdalena Bogart Interiors
    8 years ago

We have a large resource library with catalogues. So I know the companies who produce good quality to super high-end lighting.

For high-end lighting w work with reps. This assures the high quality and service my clients expect. If something is not quite up to par, we handle repairs and returns.

For all other lighting requests, we source online, send clients the link and they can purchase it for themselves, but also have to take care of any issues with their orders.

Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design thanked Magdalena Bogart Interiors
  • PRO
    Magdalena Bogart Interiors
    8 years ago

I forgot to mention, that I go with clients to a great showroom in San Francisco, if they want to see the lighting in reality. The showroom has a very knowledgeable staff and can answer any questions.