Software
Houzz Logo Print
lorna12345

Kitchen Decor Ideas

13 years ago
We are moving into a charming 1960s ranch with this dated 1980s kitchen. The kitchen cabinets extend along the back wall and across the end of the family room where the seller has his breakfast nook. The counter/backsplash is a beige and the cabinets appear to be a walnut stain. The appliances are white. I am looking for ideas to inexpensively improve the look of this kitchen. A remodel is not in the cards right now. Color ideas would be very helpful.

Comments (10)

  • 13 years ago
    If you are looking to do something inexpensive...paint your cabinets! I would stick to a neutral color and add new handles! Laminate countertops are also inexpensive to put in and can make a huge difference! There are so many different finishes and colors to choose from! It's. quick fix! I would even try doing some distressing on the cabinets. Just make sure you use a really good primer on the cabinets! Have fun!
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you very much. Do you think painting kitchen cabinets is something you can do yourself or something to get a painter in for?
  • 13 years ago
    I completely agree with Sandra. Check out the Rustoleum cabinet restoration kits. Very easy and, if done correctly, look very professional. Paint is an amazing weapon in the war on dated. Happy renovations!
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks so much. I can't wait to get possession and start!
  • 13 years ago
    I agree about painting your cabinets but I actually think it would be very exciting to paint them a birght color, like green or teal. Though I must admit I'm planning to paint my own white, so I suppose it's easier to tell someone else to paint them a color than it maybe to decide to do it yourself! :-) I don't plan on updating mine in the next 10 years however, so this is meant to be a long term budget solution. If you have any plans to replace them in the next few years, I would totally go for it and be bold! Also, my house is 100 years old, so I'm trying to be true to the era...with your retro home, a retro color could be awesome. Find a fun retro fabric to use as an accent too!
  • 13 years ago
    I am thinking about going white. I am afraid with no kitchen window a bright color might be oppressive. The adjoining rooms have gorgeous vintage oak flooring that has been covered for decades with w2w carpeting. I think white with all that oak flooring could be beautiful.
  • 13 years ago
    Maybe green lowers though ... You are making me dream.
  • 13 years ago
    I think white would be lovely. We painted ours (similar to yours), we used ivory and used a glaze pinstriping on the details in a mocha color. Laminate counters are more economical than others, and hardy but are not necessarily "cheap". There are products to paint counters that seem to work well. If you choose new laminate counters, they can now install an undermount solid surface sink. Here's a pic of my laminate counters with the undermount sink.
  • 13 years ago
    Can you post a photo of your cabinets? The counters and backsplash are in very good condition in our house so I think I will pick a white that works with them rather than replacing. Your laminate looks very nice.
  • 13 years ago
    .