Software
Houzz Logo Print
ad555

TV Placement

10 years ago
I am in the process of doing a Reno on a 1954 ranch bungalow and want to keep the living room fireplace wall, cleaning up the stone. The wall to the right will be removed which will create a 10ft. opening from the kitchen to the dining room. Will the TV be too high for viewing if I place it just above the mantel over the fireplace? It is 44 inches from the floor to the top of the mantel. There is also a large bank of windows across from the fireplace. The TV is the secondary one in the house.

Comments (14)

  • 10 years ago

    What size TV do you have?

  • 10 years ago
    The TV is 40 inch.
  • 10 years ago

    I would find that to be too high. Ours is on a console and is about 27" high which we find very comfortable.

    I've seen a lot of suggestions for recommended height and most suggest the TV is at or just above eye level when seated.

    Our prior stand had the TV at about 32". I was worried that the lower height would be too low but we both like the lower height.

  • 10 years ago
    Right now the TV is sitting on a desk which is 33 inches high and we find that OK. It is in a room which will become part of the kitchen so I have to move it. My dilemma is where else to put the TV. I don't really want to put a stand in front of the brick wall and I'm compelled to set up a seating area in front of the fireplace.
  • 10 years ago
    Suzyq53 - I know people who have that arrangement and quite like it. The only thing is I would not be able to have a fire going and watch TV at the same time. I suppose that's not a major issue.
  • 10 years ago

    I think you could mount it over the brick but on the far left, not directly over the fireplace. Also I would consider a larger TV, at least 50" for general viewing comfort. You can't see a small TV from your new area.

  • 10 years ago
    I agree that a 50 inch would be better, but the main TV is a 50 inch and will be in the basement which is where we do most of our movie watching.
  • 10 years ago

    What beautiful furnishings!

    Ok...Real fireplace and TV...no. Very bad for the TV. A gas or electric fireplace with a TV over it is doable but a real fireplace is a TV killer - soot and smoke do not make the components happy. Creating a built in wall unit above the stone may be the answer here.




  • 10 years ago

    But the 40" will look puny on your wall. Really the bigger the better in terms of proportion. Maybe you'll end up watching Property Brothers while you make salad. Thats what I do.

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you for all your suggestions. I think I will have to consider maybe creating a separate zone for that TV, away from the fireplace. As I mentioned, it is not the main TV. I am attaching a floor plan which shows the dining/living room as it will be. The den and kitchen will merge into one large kitchen.

  • 10 years ago

    The 40 inches will not look small if you set it up the way that lucidos is showing above. I see the hearth on the floor, and believe that the fireplace does not extend the entire wall, so you do not have to worry about soot. You'd need to just build up the wall to the left of the fireplace.

  • 10 years ago

    That diagram is super-tiny, and I can't find a fireplace anywhere on it.

    However, it seems to me that if you're willing to put a bench in front of the stone, you should be willing to put a low TV console with a medium-sized TV there. That's the most natural solution -- it should be easy to place seating such that you can encompass a view of the fireplace and TV.

  • 10 years ago
    I like the bench idea. I have to make a decision shortly since I have to decide where to bring the cable up from the basement before the ceiling is drywall ex.
    Here is a larger layout photo.