Software
Houzz Logo Print
what color to make this room tie in? also stain or solid paint? rug and ottoman suggestions?

Comments (17)

  • 10 years ago
    I like your barn doors as is. Are you looking for a pop of colour? Because your room is fairly monochromatic right now.
  • 10 years ago
    it is that way intentionally as I cannot seem to find a balance for the color scheme in this room, it is a rental so I can only change with minor things....just trying to hide/play down the pink and yellow undertones to make it all come together.....before photo, yellow couch pink floors mauve walls....
  • 10 years ago

    I'd consider either painting it white to match the trim on those bookshelves or perhaps staining it quite dark so it's similar shade as the dark fireplace and TV wall.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Duplicate post so ideas are in both spots now

  • 10 years ago
    I cannot change the fireplace or shelves other than repainting/staining in the same color family...it is a RENTAL, I could however repaint the builtins a different tone /shade of white, cream or off white, I could restrain mantle with a different undertone but just as dark
  • 10 years ago
    thank you...loving the new furniture but still need ottoman and end tables, was thinking of bring in more silver/gunmetal but concerned of how to make it all come together
  • 10 years ago

    I also like the barn doors as they are. I think the room looks great and it's very neutral so you could add any colour that catches your eye. I'd like to see a dark leather ottoman.

  • 10 years ago
    going for this but haven't found it yet
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Barn doors? If they're not operable, take them out and use them elsewhere as doors. If you leave them paint them to match the trim, so white or off-white. The fireplace is nice, but too formal for post-and-beam construction, which is very modern. The marble or granite on the sides of the fireplace look awkward. Can you replace this with whatever the walls are?

    I'm an opponent of putting TVs above the fireplace as it always cheapens the look of the visual focus of the room. Find another place for the TV, and put some framed art or even a mirror above the fireplace, or nothing.

    I don't mind the mauve too much, but since the architecture of the room is so busy, consider going monochromatic.

  • 10 years ago
    2 posts going on same space
  • 10 years ago

    I think what seems a bit off to me is the ceiling. Might be my monitor - but I find this with a lot of painted T&G ceilings - they're too bright white. Almost feels flourescent to me. Would you be allowed to paint the ceiling just enough to soften the white a bit?

  • 10 years ago

    Also, I really love barn doors but the one you've shown seems like it would be a bit of a waste. Since you've got the big cross beam after the first bay of bookshelves, you wouldn't have a lot of room to move the doors.

  • 10 years ago
    the doors have been installed by me as there was a junk heap with a purple wall behind it, so now we can use that area for storing small items, also I can't paint the entire ceiling HOWEVER I would be willing to paint the built in with a softer white...had that idea already and also maybe adding some dark fabric or wallpaper inside the back of shelves to tie in the super dark mantle....can you recommend a good softer white that would soften it?
  • 10 years ago
    Wow. You've received a lot of great advice on three different posts now. Your responses have been contradictory and confusing. Am I correct in assuming you have permission to paint only the built-ins? And only in a light colour?
    As for the furnishings. I think your sitting area is currently too crowded. I would eliminate some pieces to open it up a bit. And is that a blanket on the hearth? It's not helping here. Given your floor appears to be tile (cold?), I would invest in a rug next.
  • 10 years ago

    The kids are on winter break.

  • 10 years ago
    the main issue here is this house was designed by my friend and landlord....with creative questioning I came to the assumption she is in fact color blind and cannot see undertones, so the entire home clashes.....trying to choose the easiest fixes, all throughout the house to play down the things that CANNOT be changed....if I repaint in the same color family she has, white where it is white...blue where it is blue...etc to change the UNDERTONES reflecting dated pink and yellow, which by the way is why the blanket is thrown over the marble on fireplace as the marble has a YELLOW undertone and the floor tile has a PINK undertone.....do u understand? kind of like color correcting a bad hair dye job....this is not my style at all but trying to somehow make it all flow and not clash, so in short YES I can paint, just not going from brown to white or changing dark brown to stark white....Sorry for the confusion