Software
Houzz Logo Print
laurynn48

Budget friendly kitchen arrangement/staging advice

10 years ago
Looking for some budget friendly inspiration on my old tiny kitchen. It's a 1950 Cape cod.. We are getting ready to list and moved our storage pantry out to make some room and open it up but it is still lacking function and style. I painted the walls and cabinets but hate to put any more money into something that would be a waste if the buyer plans to start from scratch.

If anyone has some fresh inspiration for me or suggestions I'd appreciate! :)

Comments (7)

  • 10 years ago
    Oh just re read you already painted cabinets so that's good. Only other thought I had is remove the plastic blinds and replace them with the bamboo shades which are really inexpensive at Lowes. They come in 3 or so different brown tones that might contrast nicely with the white. I think you've done a good job.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Just ideas for staging:

    A pretty potted herb plant on the counter by the window

    Move the trash can out (to the garage?)

    remove the mini rug

    remove the microwave from the cart and replace with a nice bowl of lemons or oranges or apples or bell peppers (all one color)

    move the stool out

    unless the views are bad you'll want the blinds open to create as much light and space

    if you're trying to hide the flooring transition, an inexpensive indoor/outdoor rug to cover as much as possible might work. Will probably need a nonskid rug pad underneath.

  • 10 years ago

    What is going on with the floor - why is it different than the floor in the hallway.

    The kitchen is nice and clean, however, it needs some color in it. I'd add a cheap piece of art, on the wall where the life is good words are.

    One of the bottom cabinet doors, looks like it is about to fall off - or - is it just not closed.

  • 10 years ago
    Thank you all so much for the input!
    The adjoining room is the dining room which had hardwoods we refinished. The kitchen is the only room without hardwood. Makes no sense- we put down cheap vinyl 2 yrs ago to replace some ugly white and green laminate. It's a horrible transition(bugs me everyday along with the whole kitchen and dining room in general) so I'm going to try my best to make it a little less terrible
  • 10 years ago

    Just wondering, will it be possible for the next owner to expand the kitchen, or will they have to settle for the small size? That would have an effect on how much I would do to "sell" the kitchen. If the next owner was going to have to live with the small size, I think I would fix the cabinet door and put some better-but still inexpensive-vinyl on the kitchen floor. The less the kitchen appears to need even a small repair, the better. It might make the difference between a new owner feeling he/she can use the new cabinets, or have to invest in new ones. The kitchen does have some cozy cottage charm going for it. Good luck with the sale of the home.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I suggest removing the vinyl that clashes with the real wood. Then put down a sheet vinyl remnant in a light color that goes well with the wood floor. Put the door back on the pantry. Hang a brand new broom and dustpan in the pantry if you have removed the shelves and will not be showing it as a pantry.