Software
Houzz Logo Print
diy_kamvo

Paint or change chairs?

10 years ago
What color would you paint our dining room? Or, do the gray chairs not match the custom table and wood trim in the room? What would you do? I'm all ears. We would like to paint or put up art to make this work better.

Comments (31)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Like the light and the chairs do not like the cabinet or the curly black thing on the wall and i find the wall color way toodark I would do drapes to cover some of the dark woodwork at the window The art is too dark also.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Changing the chairs to a beige or a white color would brighten up the dining area.

  • 10 years ago

    There seems to be a bit too much brown in there already so the chairs are a nice break from the brown everything. I would go for a wall paint color that is not in the rosy-brown family- perhaps greige, light grey, light green? Drapes on the window & finally, if you want to make more room to sit at the table comfortably, I would remove the two hutches by the window wall and find them another spot around the house. By looking at the picture, it does seem a bit tight with the big table and the hutches in the same room. But if all this furniture together makes you happy, just leave it and enjoy your room. It doesn't really matter what we like, it's your house YOU should love it. Happy Decorating.

  • 10 years ago

    I just realized the "black hutch" by the window is a furnace? If so, I take back my comment about the drapes...no drapes near heaters!

  • 10 years ago
    Change the fabric on the end chairs. Something bright and different. Room color change. Artwork after paint.
    Lighten and follow the less us more rule.
  • 10 years ago

    I would choose a cool off white.

  • 10 years ago

    Love everything except the black ironwork and the wall color. The wall color (on my monitor, anyway) looks almost gold which is complementary to the purple undertone of the chair upholstery. I would paint something more analogous so the contrast between chair and wall wasn't so great.

  • 10 years ago

    Remove the black blinds and get fabric window treatments....maybe roman shades.

  • 10 years ago

    I desaturated the color and moved the hue away from yellow and a bit toward the red. It has exactly the same value (darkness) as your current paint. I wish I could tell you what color this is. ;-)


  • 10 years ago

    A much lighter wall color, like a very light taupe would look great. Right now, the wall color is too similar to the wood table, floor, trim, and furniture.

  • 10 years ago

    Taupe, mocha, greige- check into some of those.

  • 10 years ago
    We really wanted beige chairs but did not find the quality we wanted for our budget. The beige matched perfected but now we have these chairs and although they're not the perfect color, are very nice quality chairs. We're thinking Behr Mineral for the walls: It's a very light gray that will match the chairs very well...but will it look nice with the wood trim? Pretty torn
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    What colors are in the adjoining room? What metal is your chandelier?

    Behr is showing Hemisphere, Ice Drop and Bellflower Blue as coordinating colors to Behr Mineral. Consider artwork with fresh blues. Maybe you could paint the ceiling the palest, Bellflower Blue.

    I think the chandelier and chairs are 'transitional' pieces, adding a third transitional with art would help balance all the wood. I would remove all the small decor from the room; the picture frames and all the smalls on top of the cabinet. A simple low large bowl or platter on the cabinet with a great piece of art above would be nice, similar to the bowl in photo two on the table.

    Dining · More Info

    Transitional Dining Room · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    You'll never know till you paint a sample in your room. I found wildly different photos of Behr mineral on the Internet. Here's a very rough guesstimate of how it might look. Worth getting a sample to see.

  • 10 years ago
    Adjoining living room has pale yellow walls, red couches, brick fireplace and chestnut wood trim. I definitely need a lighter paint color to match.
  • 10 years ago
    Thanks Grover! That really makes the trim pop just not sure I love it though. Should I consider an area rug under the table? I'm concerned all the wood is competing. The darker trim then the lighter table than even lighter floors. Just feel like it's a mish mash of colors. I could really do more work by matching the trim stain to the table but that's a lot of work. I'm starting to think in forcing all this because I like the chairs but maybe they simply don't work, although everyone seems to love them..
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I think painting this room SW Divine White would look great with the wood and the chairs;) Nice warm white. click to enlarge

    Kiawah Vacation Home · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    Moving the wine bar to another room would be a priority, especially if you want to add a rug under the table. It should be 4' wider and longer than the table top, yet not run into walls or furniture on the walls. Use painter's tape to measure that out on the floor and see what standard size rugs will work in your space. Always go up in size if you must. You want 2 feet for chair scoot and sit space without having the chairs "fall" off the rug's edge.

  • 10 years ago

    I agree with a warm white for this room. I don't mind the different wood tones and white would enhance them and brighten the room.

  • 10 years ago

    diy_kamvo, I like the value of the paint that's on the walls now; I don't like the hue with the chairs. I do like the chairs, and since paint is way cheaper than chairs (and your name indicates you will diy), and it's way easier to coordinate paint with chairs than the other way around, I would look for a cooler neutral than what you have now, something taupe-y like my first rendering above.

  • 10 years ago
    make sure paint has same undertone as chairs. if the chairs have purple grey undertone don't get yellow grey paint. check Maria Killam blog. there's 50 shades of grey and some look horrible together.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    The ceiling light casts something that on my computer shows 2 chair colors - by "grey chairs" is that leaning toward linen?

  • 10 years ago
    check beirs MQ6-27 SAGE WISDOM.it seems close to the color grover came up with.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    It might be of use to you to share an image of one of our dining room designs.

    Chelsea Loft: Dining Room · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    Simple but effective fix so far was taking away the two end chairs and keeping the table top simple. We don't normally need 8 chairs so we will use the end chairs in the adjoining office and put a small table between them and bring out the chairs as needed. This opens up the room quite a bit also. I think we will be going with a light off white/ ivory color on the walls. It dawned on me that the original chair color we wanted was an ivory/ beige color that matched well..so why not for the walls! It would lighten up the room considerably and make the wood stand out. After a few days with the chairs and actually having dinner sitting on them, we decided we like them a lot.
  • 10 years ago
    Another pic...I really want to showcase the custom furniture. I will post a pic after I paint!
  • 10 years ago

    So much better already with the end chairs relocated! Gd move. I think a linen/off white on the walls will look great, and will put up no fight with the scheme in the adjacent living room. I can envision a large pc of art on the wall where you now have the black "filigree" decor. That beautiful table top compliments the Craftsman vibe of the room, and the style of the chairs is just enough of a departure to keep the room from becoming theme-ish. I like it.

  • 10 years ago
    We painted!! The difference is tremendous. We decided to use the same exact paint as our living room. First, we wanted a pale gray, then decided on a light cream color but decided it would clash with the pale yellow from our living room. We used Ralph Lauren Monogram in eggshell. The chairs no longer stick out because the walls are so light..and that was our original concern. I started googling a bit and found that gray and pale yellow go very well! We thought maybe the living room and dining room being the same Color would be boring but hey, we think it looks great! Thanks for the help everyone. If there is anything we learned here it was that sometimes you pick the wrong paint!!
  • 10 years ago

    I love the room, and the wall color works well with everything except the chair color. Simplest fix would be to paint the walls to match the chair color. Gray is a neutral, so the walls should still work with the woodwork. Be sure the lights in the room aren't changing the colors. Daylight bulbs produce the most true color, whereas warm white bulbs add yellow tones. Take a chair outside to compare paint swatches to the fabric.

  • 10 years ago
    Work in progress. Gray accents and clock. Thoughts?