Software
Houzz Logo Print
laurynn48

Does this room look okay? Any final touches I'm missing?

10 years ago
Getting ready to put my 1950s cape cod on the market and have been working to get rid of bulky furniture and things to open this TINY living room up a bit. The awkward entries and oversized (but only now) couch make it difficult to arrange. Any further suggestions that I'm missing please let me know! Thanks :)

Trying to get used to a new camera on this phone so I couldn't tell which pictures were best!

Comments (17)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I'd suggest getting an apartment size (or renting one) sofa with legs to give the room a larger look. Use the ottoman as a coffee table and let the FP be visible. Move the bookshelf left of the FP and move to the right of your entry console table. Leave the window blinds open and sparkling clean windows to bring in lots of natural light. Something like this sofa. Small, clean line, visible legs.

    Coronado Apartment Size Sofa, Buckwheat, 72"x33"x31" · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    HI -- Can you rent or borrow a smaller sofa ? And re-move the shelf unit from beside the fireplace . Put a painting above the sofa instead of a mirror . And pull the two chairs a little bit into the room and have a small clear glass top coffee table . Put the ottoman else where - not in front of the fireplace . Do you have a screen for the fireplace or fill the box with logs . You need an accent color either in some cushions or /and in the painting .

  • 10 years ago
    I would consider taking out the rug. There's just too darn much white in that room. Besides, your potential buyers will want to see that lovely hardwood floor.
  • 10 years ago
    I agree with Darzy. As long as the sofa stays I think it would be difficult for potential buyers to imagine what they can do with the space. Staging it with proper sized pieces will be important as it looks like your room is right off the entry way. First impressions of your home can make the difference.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Get rid of everything except the sofa, chairs, ottoman, small round table. Use ottoman as cocktail table. Or hire a stager who know what they are doing to get the most bang for your buck. You are selling square footage and the wood floors and fireplace are the best features of the room.

    If you are using a realtor maybe he/she will pay for a stager.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I would keep the mirror over the console table, but replace the mirror over the sofa with a large canvas. The room seems to lack color and a focal point. A few suggestions: See more at: http://www.houzz.com/projects/1295077/art-original-abstract-paintings

    Art - Original Abstract Paintings · More Info

    Original Abstract Painting 48 x 48 · More Info

    SOLD!!! Art - Original Abstract Painting, 48 x 48 · More Info

    SOLD!!! --Original Abstract Painting 48 x 60 · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    I'm still searching for a couch to replace this one with but I took the suggestion of removing the rug. Is it any better ?
  • 10 years ago
    I love your rug but your room looks larger without it.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Your room looks much larger and fresher without it! If you miss having a rug, maybe seagrass or sisal would work, but I tend to think just a small coffee table would add interest. The rug's pattern seemed a bit busy for the small space. I might also lose the shelf to the left of the fireplace.

  • 10 years ago
    And move the two chairs a tad away from the wall.
  • 10 years ago

    Take out one of the side chairs - the one by the right hand side of fireplace. Take out the shelving on the left hand side of fireplace.

    Lauren Banks thanked carol wood
  • 10 years ago

    The basket in your fireplace looks great. I would keep both chairs but I would replace the mirror above the sofa with some artwork. I'd also remove throw on the couch. Your room is looking much better.

    Lauren Banks thanked Lila
  • 10 years ago

    Hi. I would remove all the small pieces of furniture which make the space feel cramped. By this I mean the ladder shelves, pouf ottoman, leather ottoman. If the plant is silk, rather than real I would store it for later. Open up the shades on either side of the fireplace to let the light shine in. Brighten up the room with different throw pillows and a colorful throw on the sofa. Have you tried the sofa to facing the fireplace? If that would work place white chairs to either side of fireplace facing the sofa. Have fun!

  • 10 years ago
    houzzers are so helpful!
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Definitely remove both items on each side of the fireplace, so as not to block the beautiful windows. Also, place an ottoman or cocktail table in the open area. I agree with patrinkac - move the chairs away from the wall. I have a similar room orientation & I have my sofa & 2 chairs across from the sofa floating away from the wall. It is more intimate. Good luck!

  • 8 years ago
    2016 post!!