Software
Houzz Logo Print
matthew8911

Basement layout help.

10 years ago

I am finishing my basement and trying to decide what is the best
way to lay it out with a low ceiling challenge. The main reason for
finishing is to free up one of the bedrooms upstairs for one of our
children to move in to where my office currently resides.

Need: Office, storage, play/family room.

I have drawn up the floor plan and the first idea. I have a large
area with a low ceiling area. My plans are to build a wall under this
area and make it into the Office/storage. The main area will be the
family/play room. I would like to put a TV in down here and have it a
place for adults to hang out too. I thought it would make good use of
space by the stairs to put in some cabinets and a fridge for a bar area.
With it being a long room there seems to be some wasted space between
the stairs and family area. I don't if this is the best layout. Or
should I make 3 rooms? Or should I rearrange the furniture some? I also
had an idea of building that wall under the low ceiling back about a
foot or so then doing built in bookcase on the wall. Another recent idea was doing a half wall of built ins diving the long area turning the closer area to the stairs an area for the kids toys and then the are near the fireplace where the TV and couch would go.


Sorry, I am reposting this from the basement forum. Not much traffic over there and trying to get more input. If I had to give some constructive criticism to the GW forums it would be to collapse some forums and just have a dedicated layout and design help.

Comments (9)

  • 10 years ago

    My office is currently upstairs in a bedroom now. There are no windows in the basement. No plans to put a bedroom in the basement. There used to be windows, but previous owners blocked them up 30 years ago and I finished landscaping our exterior. So I am not putting windows back in.

  • 10 years ago

    I am back with another layout. I really wanted a separate storage area, but not another door off the main area. So I came up with the idea make it right off of the mechanical room. I am still not sure about the furniture layout in the family area. Please review.

  • 10 years ago

    I prefer your first, more simple layout, in part because I think the seating area is laid out better for people to see the TV and fireplace. Also, I think the main area in your second version will feel more chopped up with the half wall. Soon enough your kids play area will include the TV and associated electronics.

    I'd utilize a few feet of the low ceiling area in the office for storage closets. Might as well have as much of the higher ceiling area as possible for spaces where you'll be walking. This depends on what you need to store and if it will fit in closets. (Barn style or bifold doors will take up less floor space than regular doors as shown.) The closets will act as a sound buffer if kids are watching TV or playing while you're working. (left pic)

    If you stick with storage off the mechanical room, can you move the location of the door to the mechanical room? If you have a small vestibule area for doors, that gives you more wall room for furniture in your main area. (right pic) Haven't played with storage in that space - it could be wall cabinets, shelving, or walled off, pending what you need to store.

    Be sure to check your wifi connection down there. We had an office in the basement prior to an addition, and we used a wired connection for better access (our router is on the 2nd floor.)

  • 10 years ago

    How about a poker table or game table there by the mini bar? Use for playing cards or eating.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    That is an interesting idea Chicagoans for the vestibule area. Yes, I could move the door to either side. The one con of the long closet is that the office is a long narrow room, but it does utilize the store under the low ceiling better. I ran these by my wife and she likes the closet under the ceiling. I think that is the best option because I would want to hide our stuff we are storing.

  • 10 years ago

    I'm not seeing *any* egress. We don't want you trapped down there during a fire in the house.

  • 10 years ago

    I would never use, nor would I want myself or my family in a basement with no egress. I'm not even sure it would be legal

  • 10 years ago

    There are zero windows down there? I can't even imagine it. It will feel quite cavelike no matter how you decorate it. Our last home had a family room downstairs with the small windows and only one in the family room and it was okay but we never hung down there except for winter. On the other hand the light we got from the egress in the bedroom was amazing and made it a very comfortable and safe place to be.

    I realize you have finished the landscaping but I'd seriously reconsider the window issue. It will be a much more pleasant place to spend time. I am with cpartist we would never use it.