Software
Houzz Logo Print
roannyc

Plain English / deVol kitchen in USA.

10 years ago

I am starting research on a kitchen reno in NYC. I am obsessed with these 2 UK kitchen makers (see link below). This will be a small U-shaped kitchen (approx 15 linear feet lowers and 9' uppers). I want to keep my cabinet budget in the sub-10K range. The common theme between the 2 makers are that the cabinets are all inset with shaker door style. I was set on Ikea with Semi-handmade doors or Barker Cabinets but after seeing beautiful inset kitchens I think it is worth spending a bit more to achieve the look.

http://www.plainenglishdesign.co.uk/

http://www.devolkitchens.co.uk/

In any case, I am asking the GW community for help! Rumor has it that deVol will be going into the American market via partnership with Rejuvenation - however, the cost of a deVol kitchen would surely be above and beyond what I'm willing to spend.

At this point, I am seriously considering Canestoga (http://www.conestogawood.com/) and Amish Loft Cabinets (https://amishloft.com/cabinetry/). The only downside with Canestoga is that they are RTA. Both companies however are close to NYC.

Anybody in the NYC area willing to share some wisdom? And should I be looking at other companies?

Thanks!

Comments (57)

  • 10 years ago

    I know a lot of European countries, you take your kitchen with you when you move.

  • 10 years ago

    I remember reading about that, Kathy. An American that had lived in Europe for a while. She was comparing American kitchens to European kitchens.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Not sure I understand your question, Wendy. Do you mean having the face of the cabinet carry all the way to the floor without the legs?

  • 10 years ago

    Look at Crown Point.

    Roan Pastor thanked cawaps
  • 10 years ago

    Rjknsf, if you bring the styles down to floor, to create the legs, is there any reason to keep the recessed toe kick? Why not just eliminate it all together?

    Am I making sense?

  • 10 years ago

    Thud. (Jaw hitting floor). Drool. Next: Fishwifery shrieking at DH inquiring why WE didn't know about these.

  • 10 years ago

    Back again. Finished reading your original post. We have ordered from Conestoga three times so far. You will get what you order, so if you have the vision to order as a high end designer, you can have your high end product; but you will need to spec out and understand each element otherwise results will be as you ordered.

    Round 1 - kitchen and pantry. Mistakes were minimal, but I would order a different door style next time round and would aim for cleaner lines.

    Round 2 - Linen closet, pre hardware.

    Round three: Family Room Built-Ins. Ordered to spec, and installed by us.

    Round 4 may well be influenced by this post, thanks!!!


    Roan Pastor thanked oldbat2be
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I don't see the lower cabinets being separate and not combined as a positive. Don't we pay extra for continuous lower cabinets? I did note in the Vernacular House kitchen that the symmetry of the upper and lower cabinets match. It looks too busy to me, with all the lower cabinet feet.

    Love OB2Be's cabinetry & built-ins.

  • 10 years ago

    Romy I agree. I think the feet on each cabinet can get too busy. I like the look of them for the end of a run, for example. That also would allow for combining cabinets within a run.

    kitchen · More Info

    this kitchen has those simple feet on the end of each cabinet run and the island. Nice clean look and not so busy. This is my favorite look. Planned for a "someday" remodel....

    You can eliminate toe kicks and some do. It's another common thread in the kitchens the OP linked to. It's a great look, but toe kicks are traditional for a reason. Most people (not all) find it uncomfortable to work at a counter without one. An alternative is to have no toe kicks on cabinets out of the work area.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I'm in the UK. You'd be looking at £25,000 ($35,500)for a deVol. £35,000 ($49,000) up for a Plain English. They aren't the cheap end of British kitchens. We used a cabinet maker to get a very similar effect. They are on Facebook. They are The Saturday Shop many we have the legs on the cabs to look like furniture and a blackish recessed plinth behind the legs to stop muck going under the cabinets. They were extremely reasonable, £14,000 ($19,000) for our kitchen which was thousands cheaper than the more popular companies but they don't have any showrooms or have four page spreads in glossy 'Home' magazines to fund. I'd advise looking into some smaller manufacturers but I think unless your kitchen is very small and uncomplicated ( no internal corners etc) you are going to struggle with a budget of around $10k


    for eye candy and ideas, have a google of 'The Old Creamery Kitchens'. 'Unfitted Kitchens' and 'Handmade Kitchens of Devizes'.

    Roan Pastor thanked somersetlass
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks nancyjwb for linking and mentioning my kitchen! Wow!

    wendy, exactly that. It's for ease of cleaning to use a recessed plinth.

    Kathy, I'm European. Have lived short term in Spain, Italy, Poland and mid France and have never heard about people taking kitchens with them. Guess it's a romanticism and another 'oddity' you Americans hold about us. That is in no way me being snipy or rude, I just think it's funny how different 'we' all are from the perceived. I bet we have some corkers about Americans, Aussies etc! Trust me, most kitchens people are either happy to leave behind or they won't fit the new house

  • 10 years ago

    I know it was common in Germany and a few other places, that when you were looking at unfurnished places, it didn't always have a kitchen included.

  • 10 years ago

    Somersetlass, about painting the toe kicks black. I'm going to have apron feet on my sink and have thought about painting the toe kick black. The other thought I had, cover the toe kick with flooring. It might look like a continuation of the flooring underneath the cabinet.

  • 10 years ago

    Well, my American brother married a German woman, and the definitely took their kitchen cabinets with them!

  • 10 years ago

    Sub 10K is about 3-4 cabinets in this look. Or all Ikea. Your budget doesn't match your wants. One needs to change.

  • 10 years ago

    Roan, I'm not convinced you can't get something in this style on your budget. If you look at this link, the pricing seems to work given the dimensions you describe. I want to be clear that options and extras will certainly cost more. Check it out.


    http://amishloft.com/freestanding_cabinets/Pricing.htm

    Roan Pastor thanked rjknsf
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    $600 a foot for basic inset isn't a budget choice that works with a less than 10K budget. Hardly anything decent will work with that budget. Double that number for anything real world, and especially with the elongated stiles shown in the inspiration pieces. Then add in the extra $$$ that such an installation costs due to nothing in your house being level or plumb. A bunch of exposed shims under those legs will definitely spoil the look, but that's what you'll get unless you both know exactly what to order, and have an expert installer.

  • 10 years ago
    Sophie, how did you get to 600 from 385 for base lower cabs? I think I am missing something.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I think she is combining them because typically, from what I have seen here, pricing is compared using a 36 in base and a 36 inch upper. That would put the price at about $1800 with no upgrades. I believe that is considered very high end. Could be wrong. If I am, sorry.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Sophie, the legs are not what levels the cabinet. So no shims are ever needed. They still have adjustable feet. The front is just a face frame. So they are levelled as normal cabinets are and then the face frames are placed, trimmed to fit and re placed. Once they fit thE floor properly, they are attatched properly.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I have an English kitchen - built in England and shipped to America (got stuck in customs for 2 weeks). Some were painted or stained there, others here. Antique pine counter and range hood were made here. This was in 2006, and it was about $30K (finished/installed, not including appliances). I knew exactly what I wanted and priced it out locally with 4 custom cabinet shops. Their prices ranged from 65K to 100K. Lucky for me, at the time a local home store was having furniture, larder cabinets and small islands made by a cabinetmaker - that's where mine were ordered. The store has since closed.

    The website that features my kitchen also features a Cherry Counter Kitchen that is English. The homeowner saved a bit by painting cabinets herself. They are by Crown Point.

    Our island is all one piece and I often tease DH that it's going with us when we move. The two hutches are both furniture style (with finished ends, etc) and could technically be moved/used elsewhere.

    Roan Pastor thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    WOW!! You guys are awesome! My kitchen is really tiny. Lower components will be 1X - 36" three drawer, 1X - 24" sink cabinet, 2X - 18" Corner unit, 1X - 24" shelf unit for microwave and 1X - 12" three drawer. So 6 lower cabinets in total. Looking at most of the Plain English/Devol kitchens, they have very minimal uppers. I might opt for just a tall 24"-30"upper with an appliance garage OR a really long open shelving in line with my hood. In any case, I have looked at AmishLoft and will most likely inquire from them since their "broad guestimate" seems to fit my budget.

    Canestoga is also a good option but building the cabinets might prove challenging.

    Crown Point - probably above my budget? Haven't really considered them. Will do my research.

    I am also looking at Viola Park in NYC: http://violapark.com/  - I like the simplicity of their shaker style doors............but for the price, I might just go with Ikea paired with Semi-handmade or Kokeena.

  • 10 years ago

    Try Neptune Kitchens - they are willing to ship to the USA and publish pricing on their site. I'd be curious if any import taxes/duties are owed if you imported - we are thinking of doing this too. Also remember that any UK prices published will usually include VAT (sales tax) at 20%, which you won't have to pay. Good luck!

  • 10 years ago

    Neptune are up there with Plain English . Very expensive for what they are. A bar stool from them here in the UK costs £200 upwards. So getting an entire kitchen for less than $10,000, like the op said is impossible I'm afraid. Especially with shipping and import duties which legally have to be levied. You'd end up paying more than we do. Much better to find a cabinet making carpenter and show him what you want. Sorry to be so negative, I'me got a friend in Florida who is an expat who wants various 'british' things and has looked into getting them to her and has not yet ended up following anything through

  • 9 years ago

    If you're hacking IKEA you might want to try Dunsmuir for semi-custom doors, they have many more options than Semihandmade. Also, Reform just came to the US, they have very cool fronts collections for IKEA boxes.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Take a look at Shiloh. I, too, adore Plain English but having them built and shipped to the US was so out of my budget as to be ludicrous to even consider!

    I ended up using Shiloh shaker cabinets - full inset on top, European frameless for the bottoms (wanted as much interior space as possible and a clean,sleek look). No, mine to not have the exposed hinges on the inset. I was disappointed at first, but a year later, I realize that this is a good thing - no dog hair caught in external hinges and a cleaner, simpler look. Mine are factory painted in SW Repose Gray. I have white Corian countertops and a butcher block Ikea island cart (small kitchen!). With hardwood floors, it definitely has that classic, simple English kitchen look and I love it. It's timeless and it works with the antiques in the other rooms in my house. I've been very pleased with the quality of the cabinets - very sturdy and smooth working.

  • 8 years ago

    Hi! I am curious what you ended up doing for your kitchen. I too am an American on a budget who LOVES the look of Devol kitchens. We are probably going to go with Conestoga, but have our contractor assemble everything. I just can't bear the idea of beautiful cabinet doors like Semihandmade that open to the ugly, cold Ikea interiors :)

  • 8 years ago

    Roan Pastor, this is one of my favorite threads and I would love an update (or reveal?) if you are willing. The clean lines of these kitchens are so pleasing.

  • 8 years ago

    Michey312, I love your kitchen, you did a great job!

    What is the door style and stain you used on your island? That’s almost exactly what I’ve been picturing for my kitchen.

    Anglophilia, is there a reveal thread of your kitchen, it sounds wonderful. Plus I was also thinking about inset doors on my uppers and overlay on the lowers but couldn’t imagine how it would look.

  • 8 years ago

    @Annette Holbrook, Thank you! The Island Is Walnut, clear stain with sable glaze. Door style is Stockbridge inset (Conestoga Cabinets)...hope that helps!

  • 8 years ago

    I am obsessed with Devol kitchens and I went with Crown Point. I got a discount for visiting the factory and for production in January. I'd highly recommend the factory visit as their finish is gorgeous. I did want a matte finish like Devol uses but the upkeep might be harder.

    One of the things I love most about Devol kitchens is the way they do their integrated fridges. They don't look like fridges at all. I asked my designer at Crown Point if they could do this but she kept telling me this wasn't a fridge so I went back and asked the designer at Devol who confirmed and sent me pics of a fridge like this open. Crown Point couldn't do this and I don't know if the difference was the fridge options we have here.

    The Petersham Kitchen · More Info

    My Crown Point cabinets come Tuesday and I can't wait.

  • 8 years ago


    These are Crown Point

  • 8 years ago

    mocxr - That integrated fridge is gorgeous and your cabinets look lovely and clean! Please keep posting pictures. Where is the factory? A visit would be a fun trip.

  • PRO
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Michey, I think your comments about Forum member Sophie were quite uncalled for. Yes, Sophie is plain spoken but she is very experienced and she knows her stuff. I guess she didn't tell you what you wanted to hear. That's a big problem on GW - people ask questions, they are answered, the answers weren't what the OP wanted to hear, and they leave in a huff.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    oldbat2be -

    Devol's integrated fridges are things of beauty. I haven't seen any kitchens in the US with fridges done so well

    Crown Point is in Claremont NH. My cabinets came like furniture - the hardware was already on, the tops are finished so they can actually be used without a counter although the top is recessed. The builder and his crew are very impressed and have been doing this over 30 years.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    @anglophilia, I’m not leaving in a huff. I’m just the kind of person that thinks helpful constructive comments are what’s needed, not mean spirited people like Sophie. I’m not going to stoop to her level. That’s what makes her who she is and what makes me who I am. I’m proud of my kitchen I planned all by myself. She said I couldn’t do it. I asked her on those forums to please leave the conversations, but she wouldn’t.She was condescending many times. I proved her wrong. I don’t care for naysayers. Let’s support each other..try Sophie, you might find it liberating.

  • 8 years ago

    Are the drawers part of that integrated fridge, too?

  • 8 years ago

    Yes the drawers are the freezer

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Anglophilia: I was most pleased to see your comment in support of Sophie. She is one of the best resources on this forum and can always be counted on for an honest, informed opinion.

    Speaking for myself - I do wish to hear negative comments about my kitchen / other projects - because I'm in it for the long term and would like to make my space the best possible. (I do go away and sulk for a bit, but eventually come back).

    Michey - I'd like to compliment you on the research you did on islands with wide stiles / legs. I love the look. One you posted is a favorite of mine - I'd love to understand how to replicate this.

    Contemporary Shaker Kitchen · More Info

    Edited to add - Thank you for the factory location, mocxr. It's just two hours away and would be a fun trip for DH and me.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Exactly what I’m talking about ⬆️. Thanks Sophie, for driving my point home about you! Xoxo. I 100% love my kitchen. Isn’t that the goal of the person who is purchasing a new kitchen? Exceeded my goal. Thank you to all that helped me get there.

  • 7 years ago

    Incredible thread! Thanks to all who posted - the information here is just what I am looking for. Invaluable!

  • 6 years ago

    I'm wondering if anyone on this thread has any experience with RTAcabinetstore.com


    They make two shaker style cabinets with an inset, the Healdsburg and the Adirondak. The Adirondak looks kind of cheesy. The Healdsburg looks much better, but only comes in espresso, so I'd need to repaint all of the cabinets. I was thinking it may be possible to spray them and achieve a high quality finish, since they're RTA and I could spray them before assembly - the other advantage being I have more color choice then. A lot of trouble, but it may be worth it because these are more like $7K for the whole kitchen vs. $30K for Crown Point and $60K+ for deVOL from the sound of it. I'd love all of your thoughts on this.

  • 3 years ago

    @mocxr did you end up going with the matte finish? if so, how has your experience been? if not, what did you decide to do and are you happy with it?

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Kat Berkery - I did not go with the matte finish. Crown Point uses a spray lacquer. My paint actually failed after a year - it started wiping off. I called Crown Point and they tested it in their warehouse and confirmed it was an issue with the paint and they replaced all the painted surfaces. I told them it would be fine to just repaint but they said it was not what I paid for and they wanted to make sure there would be no more issues. You can see pics of my kitchen on my IG here, here, here

  • 2 years ago

    Funny how time flies and things circle back around. I had forgotten about this post! Mocxr- DH and I visited Crown Point in Claremont in February and loved it. We have a mudroom on order for this fall and I’m planning an integrated fridge with them next. Would love to see pictures of your kitchen if you are willing.

  • 2 years ago

    my kitchen was originally blue but I always wanted it ochre but it wasn’t one of their standard colors and I didnt want to pay the upcharge. The paint failed about a year after it was installed. Crown Point replaced all the painted surfaces and let me do the custom color for free.





  • 2 years ago

    What a lovely kitchen mocxr, thank you for posting the pictures. Huge difference between the Ochre and the Blue! Good to hear the positive feedback on Crown Point.

  • 2 years ago

    oldbat2be - thanks. The ochre didn't photograph as well but it did make a huge difference with the light in the room. I had tons of issues in my remodel and nobody stood by their product or work as well as Crown Point. I said I would accept repainting of the painted surfaces but they explained that they couldn't guarantee them and that wasn't what I paid for. When the new painted pieces came in, they came down to install and actually had to fix problems with the initial install due to a contractor not every experienced in custom kitchens.