Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sicbon

Need help maximizing space in beach house kitchen.

sicbon
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi - our table and chairs are very tight - especially because the door
opens there (I've even turned the table the other way, but still it feels very cramped). Thinking about getting rid of the
table and chairs and extending the island to accommodate 6; then putting
in a window seat (mainly for aesthetics) by the window where the table
currently is. Not sure if we have enough room to extend island without
getting into the living area. Maybe a curved design? Would love any and
all ideas!! Thank you!

Comments (15)

• chiflipper
    8 years ago

You're trying to do too much in the space available. Eliminate the overhang on the island. NO ONE finds those bar height chairs comfortable. Your table and chairs will then fit nicely between the island and the sofa. The window seat is a good idea.

• sicbon
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hmmm, good thought! Thank you!

• PRO
    Mr Cabinet Care
    8 years ago

Extending the island is a great way to add more seating as well as maximize storage space. Here are some designs you might find helpful.

Yorba Linda - Kitchen Remodel With Traditional Style Cabinetry · More Info

Placentia - Kitchen Remodel · More Info

We also wrote about a similar issue on our blog. You can check it out at this link: Click Here

sicbon thanked Mr Cabinet Care
  • sicbon
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That's what I was thinking - my main issue is will it need to come too close to the living room area, not giving us any space to walk? I really want to be able to seat six.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

then i would definitely use the second pic i gave with the bench-not your bench so that the table with fit over the bench when not in use, the chairs also need to fit under the table when not in use. It might be helpful to move 1 over under the desk you have.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

all and all the space will not get bigger with an island, or an island table extension .

my thought:

take out the island. Put the table in the kitchen where the island is now, extend the counter top across the window area, even if it has to be a bit lower to go under the window, it still serves as a cadenza, with cabinet space underneath, or you could put a built in desk area there.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

sicbon thanked flair lighting
  • PRO
    Benchmark Home Construction, Inc.
    8 years ago

Have you thought about making the door an outswing instead? Not sure what the outside space leads to, but that might be an option...

This French Door was originally an inswing, but we replaced with an updated outswing and allowed for some dimensional challenges.

Belgian · More Info

sicbon thanked Benchmark Home Construction, Inc.
  • Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

flair its a great idea but that door has to swing in.... sicbon is that the front door or the door to a deck or something?

• sicbon
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's the door to the deck. We normally just open it and leave it open - so it's not a huge deal. But the area is overall cramped. If someone sits in the back, everyone has to move for them to get out. Not ideal!

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

thanks....i've got my thinking cap on....

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

i think flair has the right idea to put your table where the island is but we're not seeing the rest of your kitchen so...

i do know that i have quite a few empty cabinets at our vacation home. if you went all minimalist could you do without an island and have even a freestanding cabinet under the windows? something deeper in the middle and shallower on the two ends, to leave the door the room it needs to swing.

• sicbon
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I was trying to find other pics, but no luck. The space is the island is needed, but if we add the cabinets by the window we would be ok.

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

try looking at wayfair.com for something standalone the right height and width.

if you were willing to change the window (not expensive to reframe just the lower part, dont know what the exterior has going on) you could have full sized lower cabinets, angle at the door.

sicbon thanked Judy Mishkin
Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company