Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlreese02

Finishing touches

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Need help with what to do on walls and windows! Was thinking a mirror above cabinet or above couch. Not sure if I should just leave windows open, do not really need privacy in this room.

Comments (177)

• 8 years ago
    Just when I thought u had it all figured out, this little gem arrived and had to be oh so perfect!
  • 8 years ago

Maybe try the picture behind the sofa.

• 8 years ago
    Ok moment of truth. Might have raise the mirror a smidge. Honest opinions people!
  • PRO
    8 years ago

give your wall new look by adding large original wall art...for more artwork check my shop too...

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PooArtGallery?ref=profile_shopname

• 8 years ago
    Mirror looks great. I vote moving your chair back beside the other one like your original pic
  • 8 years ago

A mirror over the couch, like the capiz round mirror from pottery barn I think adds a nice touch of shimmer and works well with the beige sofa color scheme.

• 8 years ago

I think the room is perfect! I think this soft pattern curtain could work along with a round mirror and mercury or cream/beige gourd lamp on the table.

Linen Blend Medina Printed Curtains, Pair, Gray, 84" · More Info

Not sure on size of this mirror below but this is the 'look' I am suggesting!

Neve Modern Gloss White Wood Round Small Mirror · More Info

18" 1-Light Table Lamp Ivory Glaze/Antique Brass-Light Tau · More Info
    Something like these pictures. Subtle and soft but interesting.

• 8 years ago
    Where are those drapes from?
  • 8 years ago
    Stunning! I love the artwork and mirror. Notice how the black finishes draw your attention effortlessly around the room: black cabinet to the lamp to the picture over sofa to the coffee table base. Then the mirror adds some sparkle. Great job!
  • 8 years ago

Beautiful but I still like my curtain suggestion above. haha! for softness in the room, but honestly you can go with or with out!

• 8 years ago
    Thank you Karen! I did try to balance all of that and so glad I went with the black cabinet. It came in cream and gray so it was a tough choice! Glad you agree with my pick
  • 8 years ago
    Yes I do like those drapes actually!! Where are they from? I did add a lamp from another room and think it works better than the floral vase.
  • 8 years ago

I like the picture over sofa. Would like to see a face on shot of it. I like the lamp, but I would take off that little vase and get something taller for other side of mirror to balance a little better.

• 8 years ago

Love the picture over the sofa and the mirror on the back wall.

• 8 years ago

Everything is perfect!

• 8 years ago

I like the mirror and your dad's art is perfect over the couch. But I much prefer the vase to the lamp. That little explosion of fuchsia flowers adds an unexpected touch of whimsy and softness, and echoes what seems to be a bit of red in your dad's art.

• 8 years ago

Yeah, I agree. This all looks great! I think the mirror is hung at a good height, but maybe the art a tad high.

• 8 years ago

I agree with grover's recent comment too.

• 8 years ago

Regarding the family room, the only discordant notes I find are: 1) that neon orange pillow, 2) the rectangular mirror over the mantel but I would replace it with art because the reflection doesn't look worthy, and 3) the angled TV (which is more a personal peeve than than anything).

• 8 years ago
    What a great job you've done!!!
  • 8 years ago

I would put roman shades on windows. It is what is trending now. Hunter Douglas has Vingette. Go with white. I really like the room but it needs another color. How about tangerine or teal? In a pillow on each sofa? 1 or the other). If you go with a long, rectangular mirror over the couch, go with black or metallic frame. I you don't do mirror, do a contemporary picture over sofa.

• 8 years ago

Such a lovely space it's turning out to be!

• 8 years ago

In the family room, I agree about replacing the rectangular mirror and removing the orange (or is it pink?) pillow. I also wonder how it would look if the sofas switched places - as I'm wondering if the leather chair might look a little nicer next to the light sofa? I'd also remove the wood chair in the back left corner of the room and the ottoman (if it isn't necessary).

• 8 years ago

Check out More Info under the picture; it will refer you to the Houzz site for shopping for the curtains plus many others. I jsut houzzed grey print curtains. Good luck!

• 8 years ago

I like the vase better than the lamp. Sorry. I loved the color it added to the room. I almost mentioned that earlier. You could even add one more small item in that color to the coffee table for another "color triangle." I really do love this room and hope it feels right to you now!

• 8 years ago
    Just a quick example of adding that raspberry color.
  • 8 years ago

Instead of just sticking stuff on the mantel, look for items of true interest and beauty. I didn't want to add another painting, so I chose a Bwa butterfly mask and a red Peruvian ceramic bowl. (I personally love ethnic artifacts, as Ann can attest.) Larger items and fewer of them will always have more impact.

I placed your media cabinet straight on the wall, but left the TV swiveled for better viewing. You could add another chair at the end in place of the ottoman, if you want.

• 8 years ago

Oh, I'm loving the room with that touch of raspberry, but I agree that it could use one more touch of that color to form that decorative triangle. I hate to suggest this, but would you consider lowering art above the sofa? It looks like it's a little high. Love your room!

• 8 years ago
    Looks amazing! Great job! I loved the floral vase and vote for it to come back. Was wondering what type of flowers you have in there?
  • 8 years ago

Karen, great renderings! I agree too...love the look of the vase florals and love the raspberry "sprinkles" with the black accents (as Karen pointed out).

• 8 years ago

Karen....even your Avatar looks great with the raspberry in jreese's room. Forms that perfect "triangle". Lol! ;-)

• 8 years ago
    Lol Avery! Maybe my avatar and I will just move in!
  • 8 years ago
    Your room has a relaxing, casual vibe. I love the neutral colors and would not add rasberry or any other bright color. The suggestions from Grover were my favorites. The sepia animal prints give the room a British Colonial vibe. I would love to spend time visiting with friends , sharing some tea in this room. Enjoy.
    jlreese02 thanked snied99
  • 8 years ago

love the room, I just had a look at some pic suggestions, so many comments, how do those who are posting put different mirrors? items in her pic? is there an app to do this?

• 8 years ago
    Ange - I use an app called Moodboard on the iPad. Some people, like groveraxle, use photoshop.
  • 8 years ago

A question for you, jlreese02. I've been following your blog and really enjoying how things came together. I also followed the blog you put on for your friend. That living room came out much better than it was. I love this Houzz website as we all help each other therefore I hope you don't mind if I ask you this question. Where did you get that rug? Thank you in advance!

jlreese02 thanked Lori711
  • 8 years ago

Hi Lori! Thank you so much for that kind compliment. The rug is from Westelm. I do love it but the stitching can not handle a frequent vacuum. I almost returned it, but loved it too much. Definitely not good for a high traffic area.

• PRO
    8 years ago

Check here for original artwork: http://www.houzz.com/projects/1295077/art-original-abstract-paintings

SOLD!! Original Abstract Painting, 48 X 48 SOLD!! · More Info

Original Abstract Painting 48 x 48 · More Info

SOLD!!! Original Abstract Paintings · More Info

• 8 years ago

Thank you so much jlreese02, especially for the "heads-up" comment! I will broaden my search. Don't you just love this web site! BTW, I love the art work your dad gave both of you! He must know your taste very well! I love the prominence it receives by placing it over the chest, because that's the direct eye view to welcome everyone into this room! With that being said I also like the mirror! Wow, such fun decisions!!! Have you completed your cozy, sweet, uncluttered, tastefully furnished awesome room? Can you tell I just adore it...lol!

• 8 years ago

jlreese, are you finished with the small room, and if so would you give us a pic of the final result? I love the room, and I think no matter how you finish it that it will be gorgeous!

• 8 years ago
    Hi everyone! The room isn't finished yet. I'm deciding on valance fabric. See pics. I am also considering adding a round ottoman in the right corner and possibly a small side table and a fig leaf plant. First I need to decide on window treatments before I add anymore texture/fabric to the room! Let me know what you think!!
  • 8 years ago

Looks beautiful, I'd say no to all the things you are considering adding except the window coverings as I'm afraid the room will get cluttered.

One thing that is throwing the room off just a little for me is the difference in the floor lamp and table lamp colors, one being a very creamy shade and the other lamp so stark white. They seem to fight just a bit.

• 8 years ago

Valance? Or Roman shade like those you've shown? Yes to the shades, a big fat NO to a valance.

• 8 years ago

Totally agree with Grover's comment. But the Roman shades you pictured are lovely!

• 8 years ago
    They are actually called inside mount valances. They're technically not shades because they don't move. Example from my laundry room
  • 8 years ago

Wow, I've never seen such a product:) Looks just like a Roman shade.

• PRO
    8 years ago

I would consider adding a small side table next to the chair across from the sofa. If you need the window treatments for privacy, either choice is lovely. If not, I like those windows bare and beautiful. The lamp on your black console is doing your room no favors.

• 8 years ago

Ha, accept the light it provides. I happen to love this lamp in the room, but I appreciate your other suggestions.

• PRO
    8 years ago

This room looks fantastic. I love how you have combined different textures and colors. I do think the window needs a covering to give the finishing touch to this room.

An inside mount roman shade would look wonderful. You can have this pulled up for style if privacy is not a concern. If you ever need to lower it, you will have complete privacy in this room. I would suggest one like this, with the European style . This is similar to the valance you have shown above.

http://www.selectblinds.com/romanshades/basic-solid-roman-shades.html

A woven wood shade would also be very nice. I would suggest a color similar to the wooden chairs you have. These are great to add another dimension to the room, and they also provide privacy if you have the shade lowered.

http://www.selectblinds.com/bambooblinds/wovenwoods-bamboo-shades.html

Can't wait to see what you choose!