Software
Houzz Logo Print
mfreeburg91

48" Ranges - Capital, NXR and American Range

10 years ago

I'm doing lots of research on 48" gas ranges/ovens and am reading so much I"m getting delirious. For every 10 positive reviews, I read 5 bad ones and it's blowing my mind lol.

We're trying to stay between the 5k and 8k range for ovens. I've researched Bertazzoni and eliminated due to the small oven capacity in both main and secondary. I've looked at NXR online extensively and can't seem to find one in person to view. I've recently begun researching the Capital precision and am finding very positive reviews. Most reviews on these ranges are a bit old so I'm trying to find some updated info. Any information that can be shared on Capital Precision, American Range and/or NXR would be much appreciated.

Comments (8)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I have a catering company and don’t need a 48” range not sure why anyone needs one the exhaust system itself will cost as much as the range itself I have a bertazzoni 36” with just one large oven I love it.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Patricia,

    Most of our clients opt for a 44" (equivalent to a North American 48") or larger stove. While I agree that most don't "need" that much cooking power on a regular basis, they certainly appreciate the flexibility of having 2 ovens, including a smaller one to use everyday (faster heating time, less energy wasted). Having one large oven only is not always convenient either. A larger range also gives you more flexibility on how you use your burners.

    It would be a very boring world if we all had the same needs, desires and priorities, no? :)

    Back on topic for Melissa, I think you'll find that every brand has great and not-so-great reviews. I can only say that one of our clients is an enthusiast cook and was almost set on a Capital before deciding on Lacanche. I have seen NXR in person but never used one. Regardless of the brand you choose, make sure that you can find a service technician in your area. All 3 brands you are considering look "basic" (in a good way, no touchscreen, keypad, iPad connectivity, etc) and should be fairly straight-forward to work on if anything happens.

  • 10 years ago
    I, too, do a lot of entertaining and private catering. I'd say, if you have the room for a larger stove with smaller ovens that you can run concurrently at different temperatures, go for it. You'll never want to go back to one cavernous oven. You can cook even the biggest annual turkey in the smaller ovens, and the cooking quality is WAY higher, because the ovens are fully insulated. We have an old 4-oven Aga and it's brilliant. If I hadn't found it online at the last minute I'd have bought a Lacanche for sure.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    What did you end up choosing?
  • 10 years ago
    going with the Capital precision 48 :) I think all have pros and cons but this fit our budget and seems to be a really nice oven.

    As far as not needing a 48, I felt just as was mentioned, that it would be nice to have the flexibility of the 2 ovens. unfortunately we did not have room for the double wall oven as originally hoped so I wanted to do the 48 so I had more burners and oven space. I've cooked on a 30" 5 burner double oven and its small when you have a large dinner to cook. it definitely was an issue with the poys touching, pot handles burning, oven being too short. This is a one time deal since cabinets will be around stove and I don't think it makes sense to buy the smaller when you can get the bigger for just about the same price.

    thanks for all the help :)
  • 10 years ago

    Summery (or anyone who can interject)--is there a range with two smaller ovens you can mention? I'm also wanting a griddle on top. It's too hot in my region for Aga. And LaCanche are so stunning, I'm afraid to touch them! I like the idea of having smaller ovens that heat quicker.

  • 10 years ago

    There are lots of them -- it's become a more popular option. I just got this GE range for my own home kitchen, which has two ovens and also has a fifth burner that can be swapped to a griddle if you want it:

    So that seems like a good fit. Assuming you're looking for a standard size -- I know nothing about professional ranges!