Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelleg69

1" marble hex tile/small tile backsplash?

kelleg69
8 years ago

Does anyone have a small scale marble backsplash? I am especially interested in 1" hex or herringbone. I would love to see pics. I also wonder if all those grout lines will be hard to keep clean.

Comments (14)

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    8 years ago

rebunky, good memory! We are downsizing in our full-time city and will be remodeling the kitchen. So, I have been posting a lot of questions! Thanks for the response.

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Anyone? No one has smallish tiles? Small herringbone? Small hex? What are your thoughts on grout lines? Too much grout to be easy to clean? That is one of my main worries with this idea. That and thinking it is too busy!

• Rycca Thacker
    8 years ago

I'd use a darker grout. White/light grout drives me insane!

• mark_rachel
    8 years ago

In our last house we had a small mini brick & we used epoxy grout. I never had a problem cleaning the grout. It was very expensive since we used so much grout, but it was well worth it in my opinion. I will use epoxy grout in our new house also.

• scrappy25
    8 years ago

scrappy25 here with the minitiles that rebunky posted. No problems with the bright white regular grout so far, one year out. It was sealed along with the tiles at installation. I do keep a folding splatter guard behind my cooktop- it's about 8 inches high and catches most of the splatters. However I have not noticed a difference between the protected areas and the area above the guard. HTH

• maven19
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We'll be doing a small herringbone pattern in our new home, but as it hasn't been installed yet, I'm no help! I had also considered the hex tiles at first, but decided to use them in our master bathroom shower instead!

I have given a little thought to the grout issue and have decided (for better or worse!) not to worry about it! Form over function?!?

Some of my favorite kitchens

Markdale Residence · More Info

:
    Modern White Kitchen · More Info

Oakley Home Builders · More Info

• mom2sulu
    8 years ago

OP--sorry for the small hijack here..... but maven19--beautiful tile! Please post your final as I am also considering this. I can't wait to see it.

• maven19
    8 years ago

mom2sulu--will be happy to share though our house won't be finished for awhile!

• ascorsonelli
    8 years ago

YoungHouseLove did a penny tile in their last house. You may look through their posts and/or comment on this one?

kelleg69 thanked ascorsonelli
  • kelleg69
    Original Author
    8 years ago

ascorsonelli, I had seen that blog post. I wished they still blogged! Thanks, though--got me to look at it again. And, looked at their mini herringbone laundry room splash.

• rebunky
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Did you check out dyhgarden's reveal? Here is her tiny dot tile. So cute.

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    8 years ago

rebunky, that is cute! I have never seen that kitchen.

• isabel98
    8 years ago

I have smaller 2x3 arabesque tiles in charcoal with a light grey grout. I have never had any cleaning issues with backsplashes. I do most of my work on an island but still in my old house I had 1in squares and never remember thinking about cleaning the back there was a problem. In my current kitchen I didn't even seal anything.