Software
Houzz Logo Print
cwurch

How to make these rooms flow?

10 years ago

We finished a total kitchen renovation in the summer and now I would love some ideas about how I can make our family room flow with our new kitchen.

I realize that our furniture is too large so I would appreciate some ideas about how we could make this space work better. We would like the space to have more seating and storage/display space as well as more lighting options, all with some bling to match the chrome in our kitchen (pulls and pendant lighting as well as diamond flecks in our Whitney quartz counters).

Furniture placement and what type of chairs/couch has been a challenge due to accommodating traffic coming from the front foyer and back door into the kitchen plus trying to incorporate the corner fireplace.

As this is our family room but also our entertaining space I would love a more elegant, put together look but still be comfortable for our family with kids ages 12, 10 and 2 months.

The family room measures approximately 14'x 17'.

I would appreciate any advice and suggestions!


Comments (281)

  • 10 years ago
    May I ask a question how far apart is your island from the refrigerator......it doesn't seem like the standard distance...I would have centered the island and where your Livingroom is at right now I would put the Diningroom..anyhow I thought your Livingroom would be better with this layout.
  • 10 years ago
    The sofa is too large near the fireplace. You could edit what you have and try different arrangements, but Diane Land has good layout which will work.
  • 10 years ago

    Carolins - I forgot to answer your rug question. They only make the Harlow rug in a 5x8 and 8x11. My plan was to purchase the 5x8 just to see if I like it (it's easier to move back and forth to the store) but then I found out that the local store charges a 20% restocking fee and if I order it online then I have to pay shipping to send it back. Is it worth the $100 price tag to try it out? Or, do I just order the 8x11 and hope that it works? I think funky could be what we need in our lives right now! :)

    Claire - thank you for your suggestions. Are you suggesting that I flip our dining room and family rooms? Our real dining room is much smaller and I would hate to give up even more real estate for a room that we use only on special occasions. Currently our dining room has a dual purpose combined with our music room.

    However, I really like the idea that you've given me about hanging pendant lights over the fireplace. Since we just finished the ceiling, I will look for pendant lights that use only one light box.

  • 10 years ago
    You don't need pendant lights in a family room. They would block any kind of art you place on your mantel.
    I agree to add more drapery panels. Get the largest rug you can. Have you measured the space to see what an 8 X11 looks like? Too bad on the professional designer, lol. Would save you all those delivery fees, restocking fees and overall schlepping of things back and forth.
  • 10 years ago
    This is your room with an 8' x 11' rug. It might be too long. Measure it, tape it out on the floor and see if it fits, before you order. I'm not sure if it will swamp the room.
  • 10 years ago
    I think that a 5' x 8' will definitely be too small.
  • 10 years ago
    You know what? Scrap that last comment ;-) I know the general rule is to go large on the rug, but it will take up so much of your floor... Can't we find another rug that comes in a better size? Or are you really stuck on the funky jazzy one?
    Do you have a rug that is the small size somewhere else in the house? So you can try it out?
  • 10 years ago

    We are going to be painting our dining room shortly and my rug in there is closer to 7x9 so I'll try it in the living room for size when we move our furniture around - great idea Carolins!

    And yes, I agree that the 8x11 will swamp the room so I've already looked into getting it cut down and binded to the right size after we see how it fits in the room - but only if it's the perfect carpet of course!

    SandyC - you just saved me some money - thanks!

  • 10 years ago

    There is a carpet store close to me that carries the Loloi brand of area rugs - beautiful carpets and they offer rugs in the 6x9 size. If that would be a good size maybe we could look at Wayfair.ca as they carry a huge number of rugs from Loloi (but considerably less $ than our store sells them for). If we found some online then I could go look at the samples in store before ordering online.

  • 10 years ago

    I should also note that my budget is about $1000.

  • 10 years ago
    You have gotten some fun things. I love the new, sleek furniture styles. I hope all is going well on the project. I am lost on dates, unfortunately. My favorite improvement is the decluttering (the bane of my existence). Keeping minimal items in the display case and on the mantel and tables will help so much. I have seen curios painted and used in bathrooms for storage. Perhaps that is a good future use for the curio cabinet. Keep up the good work! I know you will enjoy your new look.
    cwurch thanked sandi125
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for your encouraging post sandi125!

    The curio cabinet is becoming a problem! It was my mom's ( who passed away 13 years ago) and I am having a difficult time getting rid of it. My problem is I literally do not have anywhere else in the house to move it to and I'm not even sure if I can sell it - I live in the bargain basement capital of the world and buyers here only want to pay pennies on the dollar. It's a quality piece, made locally and I helped my mom choose this piece so it does have some sentimental value. So,I think it will stay until I find the perfect piece to replace it.

  • 10 years ago
    Get the biggest rug you can. Looks way more custom, than if you skimp on a tiny one. I like all furniture sitting on the rug. Just make sure it isn't longer than your corner fireplace.
    If your budget is $1000, consider an indoor/outdoor, inexpensive rug that can be replaced in a few years.
  • 10 years ago

    I moved the rug from the dining room to see how a smaller size works - this is 7'8" x 9'7". Note: this is for sizing considerations only! What do you all think? Is the smaller size better? I like not having to walk on it when going through the room to the rest of the house.

    I'm wondering about the bare floor by the fireplace? If I eventually put a chair or cabinet where the curio cabinet is do I need to have the area rug reach that area? Or could I use a different, smaller rug, or no rug at all?

    And the green tape measures out a possible sizing for a tryptech that my sister and I are going to paint next week - the total size could measure 76" wide by 48" high - would that be too large? The tape on the right side measures 48" high, left side is 36" high.

  • 10 years ago

    Here is one more picture of the walkway with the smaller area rug

  • 10 years ago

    I just noticed the couch is sticking out too far! It can go closer to the wall so it doesn't encroach on the walkway.

  • 10 years ago

    How about this rug? This is from Urban Barn - this is obviously too small but I was able to take it home for colour consideration.

  • 10 years ago

    Carolins - I just realized that this is the rug we were considering back in April!

  • 10 years ago

    I love the Urban Barn rug!

    The dining room rug is pretty good sizewise, but I would turn it around. That won't leave such a big gap on the fireplace side of the room. If you prefer it in the sitting area as it is, so you don't have to walk over it when you go to the kitchen, I would definitely not add something else in front of the fireplace.

    If it was my room, I'd go for the Urban Barn rug in an 8' x 10' (or close to that) and have the short side at the window. If it concerns you that one corner gets worn, you can turn it around a couple of times a year.

    If it was one painting, I'd go for a smaller size, but since it will be a triptych with space in between (?), I think the width will be fine. A bit smaller would be good too. I'd go for the taller option.

  • 10 years ago

    Love the arch light!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Ignore the colour of the rug with the curtains here. It's off, since the photos come from different sources.

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks Carolins! It's always so great to have a visual! I'd still like to add more lime green/chartreuse accents - would that still work with this carpet? I have 30 days to return this one so I may just wait until I get my artwork home and see how it all works together.

    I love the arch lamp too! Now I'm wondering what other lamps I should get - a floor lamp by the corner beside the right chair? Would it compete too much with the arch lamp? I'd also like to find a ceramic table lamp - maybe in green? Where could I put that?

  • 10 years ago
    The small rug cuts off your space, making your room look even smaller and the furniture too crowded and large.Can you have a pice of carpet cut and bound to accommodate the corner fireplace?
  • 10 years ago

    Carolins - could I ask you for a favour? When you have time, could you photoshop the Harlow rug into the same picture so I could see that one too? Thanks :)

  • 10 years ago

    SandyC - I would definitely order the 8x10 - this is just a 5x8 which I can return without penalty. Do you like this one too?

  • 10 years ago
    Yes, it's cute. What is Urban Barn? Are you in Canada, is it the Canadian equivalent of Pottery Barn?
    I'm an ex Canuck ;)
  • 10 years ago
    Eliminate surface clutter. Select taller, more tailored lamps.
  • 10 years ago
    I will do that. Have to do something else first. Give me half an hour or so
  • 10 years ago

    Here you go. With and without art. And with lamp (wayfair).




  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Scale of pattern is probably off, but it gives you an idea. Didn't measure the lamp, just threw it in so you can see it won't be a problem with the art. It's no problem if it's a little bit in front.

    And your art will of course be way nicer and very different. But I thought it might give you a good idea of how it will work with the different rugs and sizewise.

  • 10 years ago

    Wow! Thanks so much Carolins! So now I have to ask, which one do you like better?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I prefer the Urban Barn one. It's a calmer background, but still has enough going on to not be boring. How does it look with the fireplace? Because I believe that the real colour is cooler than it appears in my mock ups? Does it look good with the brick?

    Which one do you like better?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Your room looks great! Lots of good advice and since I've invested about 30 minutes reading this thread, I feel compelled to chime in! ;-) 1. Urban Barn rug - biggest size that fits the space all the way to nearly the FP. 2. Drapery panels that are going to complement the rug. 2-3 per side (maybe more if you plan on closing them), with a longer 'beefier' rod. 3. A nice, tall tree - fiddle leaf figs are very popular - either real or faux - but can be a bit pricey. 4. I don't like triptychs - very '90's - I'd rather not see anything that is flat and framed but more of a great big architectural piece on that wall. (However, I understand your sister is an artist and I'm sure you'll love whatever she comes up with) 5. Another 'touchy' one - however you said you were willing to remove it - you have got to either paint that curio cabinet or get it out of there. Take some of the pretty art glass (the green pieces) and use them on your mantle but the cabinet has to go. You can't really use it for storage for toys either because it's all glass so it does not serve any purpose in that room. Well there's my 2 cents, for what it's worth - Your room looks great! (Hope I didn't offend. . .)

  • 10 years ago

    P.S. Just re-read about your mom - mine passed in 2014 so I completely understand where you are coming from - Maybe your formal living room because it's a formal piece? Of course, do what feels right for you! Take care

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for your great ideas shelle12345! I am thinking of a triptych because I'm hoping to transport it home from my sister's who lives 16 hours away. If I split the canvases then I can avoid paying large $$ to ship it home. I came across this Houzz photo - I love this and would like something similar to this


  • 10 years ago

    Actually, that looks very pretty! Great inspiration room, especially the windows and drapes! (Would your husband kill you if you told him you want bigger moldings around your window?) LOL!

    cwurch thanked shelle12345
  • 10 years ago

    I also wanted to mention that I bought a rod extender and two more panels - the drapes are also from Urban Barn and match the rug binding edge perfectly so even though the rug has lots of different shades of grey and ivory undertones the silver panels seem to work quite well - I think!! Oh, and the curtain rod needs to be raised about 2 inches as the drapes are puddled on the floor right now and there are finales that need to go on the ends of the rod - hope it's beefed up enough now?

  • 10 years ago

    Looks much better with the fuller panels and once raised 2" they'll be perfect. (I can totally relate when you said your husband wanted to 'surprise' you by mounting the rod when you weren't there to 'supervise') When it's all installed at the right height with the finials, etc., don't forget to bring drape in a little on each side so you don't see the edge of your window, (where it starts), to give the illusion that the window is bigger than it is. (Cuz that's the kind of 'nit-picker' I am!) Wow! What a difference between now the the first picture you posted! Fabulous!

    cwurch thanked shelle12345
  • 10 years ago

    SandyC - Yes, Urban Barn is the closest store that we in Winnipeg have to Pottery Barn (really hoping it eventually comes here!) Although, I would say that it's definitely a step down in terms of quality and price (which works in our economy!).

  • 10 years ago
    My parents were from Winnipeg! Know it well. I was raised in the Toronto area, but moved down to CA about 40 years ago.
    I couldn't take the cold winters and snow. Now if I want to see snow it's a 3 hour drive.
  • 10 years ago
    Curtains look great now. Raising the rod a bit will be perfect (sorry, husband :-))
    cwurch thanked Carolina
  • 10 years ago

    If your sister makes your wall art, I would probably have them made a little taller. Your pretty inspiration pic shows them almost coming down to the sofa.

  • 10 years ago

    Good point tlparks! i bought a 24x48 canvas yesterday just to see the size and had my son hold it up - does the height of the stonework on the fireplace affect how high I should hang it? I'm windering if the top of the art should be higher? That would mean a higher canvas, right?

    It's amazing how large that canvas is until it goes against the wall!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    For me that looks like a good size, for three of them. I feel that larger canvasses will 'eat the wall up'. Ignore the height of the fireplace. Just hang them so that they have a relation to the furniture under it and you can comfortably admire it when sitting down.

  • 10 years ago
    That should probably be 'when seated' ;-) My English is a bit odd sometimes.
  • 10 years ago

    Here's an update! The artwork is almost complete - I think it will definitely give that pop of colour that I've been searching for!

    The white streaks are actually silver :)

  • 10 years ago
    Oh cool! Perfect colours. Definitely need a rug that's not too wild ;-)
    Did you know you're an artist?
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks Carolins! I can't take any credit for the actual painting - my sister did the work and I kept her happy with drinks and conversation!

    For the rug, I found a beautiful rug with very soft blues, Aqua and grey in a thick twead from Urban Barn that I'm considering. I'm going to take a panel to the store later today to see if it works. I'll post a picture soon!

    Now, for the painting - we do have some time to change it if we should - I am wondering if it should have more grey? Is it too bright?

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    One large sofa may work to your advantage, rather than multiple smaller pieces. This will leave more room for a coffee table, sideboard, or even cabinet - which will provide you with more storage and functionality.


    Something like this, perhaps:

    Augusta Stylish Casual · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    Hey Everyone! I was out shopping and came across this accent cabinet on a good sale (a couple of mirrors are broken but I think I can easily replace them). Do you think it will work on the wall left of my fireplace? It's 48" wide and the wall is just shy of 60" so it would take up most of the wall. The side edges are painted silvery-grey and the front doors are the same wood and mirrors which make up the chevron pattern.