Software
Houzz Logo Print
kimmie014

Need Help Choosing Pillows

13 years ago
Over the past few months, I've been obsessed with updating my home making it more (modern) transitional. I have some rooms that are modern (see office) and some that are transitional. I'm trying to pick the right throw pillows to tie all the rooms together. My kitchen is light green and my front office is light blue and I have pattern chairs. Please help...I'm stuck!

Comments (44)

  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I am typing as I am looking at your photos, so no offense. Office: paint, horse good. Leather chair overpowering and rug too small. Could you run the rug and desk horizontally with the horse picture?

    Living room: bring those cute chairs into the office. Dining room rug, possibly in front of the sofa?

    Dining room furniture is overpowering; if you could replace that with something else that would really help. The sponged wall treatment should be repainted with a pale gray and the chandy lowered.
    Trickett Dining Room · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Unfortunately, I cannot change the dinning room furniture right now but I will take your advice on moving the rug. Where would you put the chairs in the office? If I move the chairs, what type of chair would you use in the living room?
  • 13 years ago
    Since you asked about pillows, these are my picks:
    MODERN VINTAGE MARKET SHOP · More Info

    18" Square Poisitano Burlap Crewel Pillow · More Info

    Burlap Coffee Sack Pillow · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I know these do not have all the right colors, but look maybe some similar to these with all your colors? Could mix in some black and white also.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I dont see why you want to tie all the rooms together? I think it's nice when they have a character that is individual. That is a tall order for a humble pillow.
  • 13 years ago
    I love your horse art! Where is it from?

    I have a brown leather sofa and I am also trying to update my space with throw pillows. I just bought some blues and oranges in some fun trellis, greek key and chevron prints. Not sure if I'll keep them all, but the color combo is different (for me!) and definitely is modernizing my drab room. Etsy has some great throw pillows. If you find a "shop" with pillows you like, send the shop owner pics of your room. They are sometimes helpful in giving suggestions of what would go well.
  • 13 years ago
    Totally channeling Judyg! Definitely take the small chairs from the living room into your office.

    Anyone else out there have a problem with a pillow on leather slipping? I have a wing chair I would love to put a pillow on. I try and it slides right down!
  • 13 years ago
    Try pillows with a texture for leather sofa. I have a teal "velvet" and other pillows with an embroidery type design and no slippage!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would add ethnic pillows, Like these Kuba Cloth Pillows, they are available on e-bay.
  • 13 years ago
    I see that you have yellow in the drapes of the dining room, a nice brighter color that will go so very well with all of your other rooms! Throw pillows in a mix of the yellows, blues and green would look fabulous, and draw all the rooms together.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you so much for these great suggestions, I will make sure to post a picture of the room when I am done. The horse picture came from z gallerie.
  • 13 years ago
    Ooooh, love the kuba cloth pillows. Wish I'd thought of it. They're cheaper at World Market though.
    http://www.worldmarket.com/product/rectangular+kuba+pillow+cover.do?camp=ppc:GooglePLA:none:goobase_filler&gclid=CJ-hpa2vy7UCFad_QgodIWcA4A

    Todd Peddicord Portfolio · More Info

    Contemporary asian art · More Info
  • 13 years ago
  • 13 years ago
    Take the leaf out of the dining table and it will be more proportionate with the rug. Also take Judy's advice and paint dining room gray.
  • 13 years ago
    leather and beautiful fabrics….a problem. Hubby, right now, on his leather sofa, my beautiful pillows between his shoulders and you-know-where. Velcro him, the pillows or the sofa? A new design dilemma? :>)
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    As for another chair, maybe a black frame and a lighter fabric?
    Living Room Barrel Chair · More Info

    Wingback Chair, Orleans · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I love having shots of colour and texture on my leather but the pillows don't cut it in the real world. Instead a purchased two throws with a ton of colours and many textures. I hung them on the backs of the seats spreading them out more than just throwing them in the corner. You get all the great colours, lighten up the heavy leather and it is husband freindly
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I am loving the orange and blue combo pillows on this below sofa....
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    [houzz=
    Contemporary Family Room · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You are on a great start with your modern transitional updates throughout these rooms! For pillows I would look for some with a little texture to them and with the writing across them. You then have the option with the varieties available with that style to purchase the more "plain" style as pictured and add some colored pillows with or there are some out there with color integrated as well! Good luck with the final touches!
  • 13 years ago
    BTW..you have a beautiful home and have you've done a great job! Sometimes we forget to mention that as we nit pick! :)
  • 13 years ago
    Throw one of these pillows in the mix!
    Cream Mongolian Wool Pillow · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    kwhite, I love your house, it's very tastefully done.
  • 13 years ago
    Love those chair ideas judyg!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    check sequins101.com for pillows.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you so much for the compliment cani and Darzy, I've lived in this home for 10 years and after coming thru a major illness, I felt the need for renewal and change. Although it is driving my husband crazy, I've had a ball ;-)
  • 13 years ago
    This is what my rooms use to look like.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I always find it very funny how someone asks about pillows and everybody ends up redecorating the whole house! Not sure what you're using the office for but unless you plan on interviewing people, I would leave the leather chair there. It ties in with the ruggedness of the horse but adds texture and warmth to the metal table. You got some great suggestions for pillows. Stick to the blue-grey from the office and some greige.
  • 13 years ago
    I agree Lydia. And the changes cost thousands of dollars, something people have sitting around...good for the economy I guess. I love judyg's suggestions but I disagree with the dining room change. It is cool. It is an old world look and I think it is cool. I can see where you are suggesting a total update with the new looks which are cool but she asked about pillows. To me it is boring having the same look in every room and different feelings in different rooms are fine. I agree to move the chairs in the family room. I see some window treatments and pillows to pull the room together. Textured beige would look nice based on some of the pics above especially the houzz one that all for show pulled up.
  • 13 years ago
    I agree...I think the chair goes nicely with my bookshelf
  • 13 years ago
    I think it was suggested to move the two family chairs into your library. I can see that and moving the desk on a diagonal.
  • 13 years ago
    If you are looking for some modern and bright throw pillows this websight has some really nice and unique ones that will work for your living room .
    http://www.zazzle.com/modern+pillows
  • 13 years ago
    I think a nice patterned throw blanket will work nice for the office or any room really.
  • 13 years ago
    I am also thinking a little color will work for these rooms. Even the littlest of accessories for the room will make it more modern and unique.
  • 13 years ago
    Well, Mr. kwhite014, congratulate your beautiful wife on her great taste (and you may now go take a nap on the sofa where you belong).
  • 13 years ago
    Wow...sweetie I wasn't planning for you to see this ;-). Love you, too.
  • 13 years ago
    I'm thinking about moving the chairs into the office; can some if you give me some ideas on how to reconfigure the office to include them.
  • 13 years ago
    Awww, how romantic is this? Lovely :-)
  • 13 years ago
    Kwhite014, your husband made me cry. You are a lucky lady. Pillows; try lumbar size, they won't be tall enough to slide. And they fit nicely under his neck while viewing TV.

    Office: try desk on angle as suggested above, with it set overtop of the center plug. You could keep the horse pic over your left shoulder, and shelf behind your right, or on another wall. Perhaps a cowhide rug under the desk? Love the leather chair In here.
    If you switch chairs, could the leather chair go I the room behind the sectional? (I see another arm chair in there) maybe it could go in place of the 2armless chairs. Lovely home! Loving couple!
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you so much...I think I'll keep him around ;-) I love your ideas, I will definitely try moving the desk. I guess you figured out my problem, if I move the leather chair I have no where else to put it, every room is full.
  • 13 years ago
    Kwhite014, I like it in the office, and the 2chairs where you have them. Keeps view outside un-obstructed. You have done a great job! Just get a few lumbar pillows and relax with your hubby!
  • 13 years ago
    K, with a husband like yours, you need nothing else. He is a dolly.

    I have to ask his favorite team?