Software
Houzz Logo Print
danakscully64

Kitchen Cabinets - Stain, Paint, or Modernize?

10 years ago

My husband and I are buying our first home. We're in escrow right now and hope to be living in it by mid-March. The house needs a major renovation all throughout. It was built in 1969 and not much has been updated. The last update of anything was in the 1990's. The kitchen cabinets are really great quality, but not modern looking at all. We are not a fan of the redness in the wood. We're trying to decide if we should paint the cabinets white or gel stain them darker. We want minimal work because we're doing it ourselves and have a lot of projects to do. I wish there was a way to keep them as is and make the kitchen look modern. Any suggestions? (Wallpaper is going and once funds permit, a new countertop, flooring, appliances, and backsplash) I'm almost afraid to paint them because I do love the detail of the grain. If we stain them, will the red go away without making them super dark? Thank you! I included photos of our style.



The style we like:


Comments (24)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    We don't plan on doing the cabinets immediately, we want to remove the popcorn ceiling, renovate the bathrooms, paint the walls, update light fixtures, and a bunch of other stuff. We're brainstorming so we know what color countertops we should get. If we have an idea of what we want, we can start doing it bit by bit. :)

  • 10 years ago

    Well I think you really need to commit to one of the kitchens you pictured - all beautiful. Once you commit to a white kitchen OR a dark brown OR to cream cabinets, you will get direction.

    Then you can select your counters. OR if you want, try falling in love with a counter top and then you will know which color cabinets will go best with the counter you love.

    Catch my drift?

    Congratulations on your first home! Enjoy the ride!

  • 10 years ago

    Your cabinets are beautiful and classic, quite unlike the pics that you show. Everyone wants those trendy kitchens. Ride it out. Let the trend pass. Love your kitchen! I would get a nice light wood floor first. Next get a new countertop, matching appliances ( you could do that right away if you buy used...just to match them). Add hardware, new lights, new faucet, ectc.

  • 10 years ago

    We're trying to avoid something trendy, but I know I've never liked light wood (90's oak) or red tints. I found a color (paint) visualizer on the SW page and I'm trying to match a paint color that will blend well with the red tones and not make it look so 90's. I would absolutely prefer not to touch it (for works sake). So far a shade of taupe has me excited.

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for the replies! This is a hard decision to make. I'll be in the kitchen a lot, so I want to love it. We plan on buying a Slate fridge before move in. I think that will really modern it up too.

    Does anyone know what kind of wood the cabinets are?

  • 10 years ago
    Ok, you hate the cabinets. No mater classic they are and some will love them, YOU don't and never will. Decide on everything before you do anything. Decide on dark or painted, pick color. If you can afford to do it, DIY frames and buy new fronts in the exact style you want. Or have just the fronts professionally painted. Or just do it all yourself. I striped are restained a whole kitchen so it can be done. Also would you use the desk area for anything other than a dumping ground. If dumping that area could be made into a pantry. New matching doors can always be made.
  • 10 years ago

    Just a question about slate appliances. Since they are not made by all manufacturers, and may be considered "trendy" ( I hate that word), might it be difficult to find replacement appliances in the future? For example, the fridge dies down the road and you need a new one. Will you be able to find one with the same finish as your stove and dishwasher? I'm guessing stainless will still be around, but not sure about slate. Opinions?

  • 10 years ago
    I, too had a very hard time choosing what to do with my golden oak cabinets: to restain or paint. I even paid a designer to come in and give her opinion but that still didn't help! So finally, after my husband threatened to use the kitchen money for another project, I made a choice. I went with a creamy white paint on all the cabs except our pantry, which I gel stained a very dark walnut. I love it! We painted the frames ourself and took the doors to a local paint store where they prepped and painted the doors and drawers. To be honest the dark cabs are harder to keep clean-with the dark tone, fingerprints even show. But it's still beautiful so I'm ok with it. I'm out of town, but could post pics later, if you're interested. Good luck!
  • 10 years ago

    carolyngarland - Thank you. That's what I'm thinking. I'm sure I'll never love them. I would just be tolerating them.

    flopsycat1 - That is definitely something to consider, thank you!

  • 10 years ago

    Beth Hanson - If you have a photo, I'd love to see!

  • 10 years ago

    I'm definitely leaning towards a white kitchen. I read good things about Nuvo cabinet makeover kits, I may do something like that.

  • 10 years ago
    This isn't a great pic but hopefully it gives you an idea of what it looks like.
  • 10 years ago
    Here's a better pic of cabs and tile.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Another option to consider would be two toned. Gray on the bottom cabinets and white on the top.

  • 10 years ago

    If you plan on staying for a few years I would live with the kitchen as is and put your money and time towards your other renovations. Kitchen styles come and go and tastes change. Then when you are in a position to do a complete kitchen renovation it will be something you love and not dated.

  • 10 years ago

    Very nice, Beth! I like it a lot!

    Rachel's Mosaics - That's interesting. I'll consider it, thank you :)

  • 10 years ago

    I want to do the kitchen cabinets by the end of the year, hopefully. I may try one of those countertop painting kits too. We're going to scrap the wallpaper, remove popcorn, and paint before moving in (kitchen too). The kitchen just needs cabinets painted, painted countertops, and new flooring. We may lay fake wood vinyl shortly after moving in.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    It's still a work in progress, but I thought I'd post a small update since people are still reading this thread (got a like). I removed the border above the cabinets and painted the soffit Requisite Gray (Sherwin Williams), like the rest of the living area. I replaced the outlet covers because they were yellow and replaced the 22 year old microwave. Our new laminate flooring goes in on May 1st. It's going to clash the cabinets for a while, but we will be painting the cabinets and replacing the countertops within a year or two. We bought a new fridge and dishwasher before we moved in that matches the microwave in the photo. Removing the dingy border made a huge difference.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Here's another update, with new flooring. We replaced the sink and added blinds when we moved in. We still plan on paying someone to paint the cabinets, but we're not rushing. :) The oven will eventually be replaced to match the other stainless appliances.

  • 8 years ago
    That microwave looks too big for that space?
  • 8 years ago

    It really isn't much bigger than the one that was put in back in 1995. If the soffit wasn't there, I'd raise the cabinets above the microwave up a couple inches, but that's not an option. It's a convection microwave.

  • 8 years ago
    The old microwave looked too big too. Maybe replace with a hood vent and put microwave elsewhere. What's the clearance?

    Floors are nice, green undertones clash a bit with red cabs but definitely an improvement!
  • 8 years ago
    Also undercab lighting would help a lot.