Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imwithjoe

Nightowl's 2016 Kitchen Reveal

ImWithJoe
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

In August 2014, we purchased a home. We plan to stay in it 5-10 yrs.

We knew we would redo the kitchen sooner rather than later.

In May 2015, we started thinking about what we expected out of a kitchen. Thank you GW for the help and inspiration. This is the plan we brought to a GC in May 2015.

This is the final CAD that resulted.

This is the final look

Kitchen price breakdown – prices are total rounded to next
dollar (tax and delivery included) Our target was not more than 80K and we about hit it
exactly. We figured we could do it for
around 10K less on our own, but that a GC would make it easier. No
idea what if any it added to resale value, but we have no intention to sell
anytime soon

Agreement with GC. – 60K

·
Demo existing kitchen

·
All cabinets and island cabinetry –

o blum
soft close full extension

o All
hard maple and plywood – very sturdy

o 19
drawers, 2 pull out trash, 1 pull out oils, 1 pull out trays, Custom pine
island stain, Custom knife block in island

o Ended
up with onsite painting but original agreement was offsite

§
Perimeter cabinets Benjamin Moore White Dove
Satin Impervo

·
Countertops

o Perimeter
Caesarstone Vanilla Noir

o Island
Arabescato Marble

o Island
inset cuttingboard ($407) Hardwood Lumber Company

·
Install all appliances, plumbing, lighting

·
Install Tile backsplash – Walker Zanger Gramercy
Park Pipe Smoke 2x6 field

o Grout
Mapai flexcolor white

·
All plumbing – had to move and run new for
additional sink and DW move.

·
All electric.

o 50
amp circuit. New wiring, added wiring,
moved wiring. UCL wiring.

·
Hood

o All
Make up air needs, Broan system

o Added
2 8” ducts to roof and roof repair work.

o Installed
hood

·
Redo and repaint ceiling Benjamin Moore White
Dove

·
Redo and repaint walls

o Benjamin
Moore Bennington Gray

·
Refinish hardwood floors damaged

Appliances and Misc. came to about $20K, retail would have
been around $35K plus whatever taxes

Comments (67)

• ImWithJoe
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The island did increase in size. I don't recall exactly - probably by 1.5 feet.

The cabinet is an Arhaus Media Cabinet One of the more disappointing parts of the redo - the marble fabricator proudly proclaimed he added an additional 1 inch width to the marble island top on the non working side. I, on the other hand, had trouble not throwing up. The area is a pinch point as it is the through way from the great room, thru the kitchen, to the kitchen table and a covered porch. As a result, we changed from the 75 inch 19 depth cabinet to the 53 inch 17 inch depth cabinet. (wipes a tear from her eye...)

The shelf over the sink - Christopher Peacock inspired. We started out wanting glass in some cabinets, but eventually decided the asymmetric plan and other visuals would have created a "one too many clowns" effect. Still wonder though....

Island View · More Info

• amykath
    8 years ago

So lovely! I bet you are so excited! What beautiful cabinetry, stone countertops and finishes! I love your coffee bar station. So unique and inviting! Great job.

ImWithJoe thanked amykath
  • beachem
    8 years ago

I think it looks lovely and you can always add glass later.

ImWithJoe thanked beachem
  • Buehl
    8 years ago

Very nice!

ImWithJoe thanked Buehl
  • Jancy
    8 years ago

WOW - Beautiful, just love your dog and all your storage!

ImWithJoe thanked Jancy
  • ImWithJoe
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• Jancy
    8 years ago

They are so cute!

ImWithJoe thanked Jancy
  • banana suit
    8 years ago

Beautiful and so functional!

ImWithJoe thanked banana suit
  • DLM2000-GW
    8 years ago

Just stunning and so packed with features! I'll have to go through slowly and assess all that detail.

ImWithJoe thanked DLM2000-GW
  • ImWithJoe
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Stan - don't cry for the kitchen or the POs. A young couple is happily cannibalizing it for their starter home. It was a builder's spec house, and the kitchen was not at all functional for a more than 1 person space. We are a usually 2, often 3, sometimes 4-5 adult active kitchen. Lots of fun and experimentation - not gourmet level but we sure like to try. The working side of the island was eaten by dogs. The hood was a poser. The kitchen is an interior one and western exposure. Very dark - so getting rid of the dark cabinetry was the best decision we made. I am thrifty and tried to figure out a way to use them, but it would have been more expensive to retrofit. One of the cabinets went to the laundry room.

The new cab uppers are functional. We don't know about hardware for them - thinking of the blum push buttons.

• Stan B
    8 years ago

I think a no pull solution like the blum tip-ons would be great for those high cabinet doors.

ImWithJoe thanked Stan B
  • romy718
    8 years ago

It's just gorgeous! I have definite sink & faucet envy. Love the inset island cutting board - so beautiful with the stunning marble. You painted the Benson pendants? Thinking back on your hardware post for the smaller uppers, I do like how the CP kitchen has the small knobs postioned in the center of the rail versus the corner. Food for thought. I love that island - we need a longer distance photo of that. Love the pups. Congratulations Nightowl!!!!

edit - ignore my RH Benson comment. I thought they were stainless in the before photo. The previous owner had great taste in lighting. They are perfect above your island.

ImWithJoe thanked romy718
  • beachem
    8 years ago

Did you get both Karbon for $750? Or it was each for that price?

• ImWithJoe
    Original Author
    8 years ago

$750 each. Use camelcamelcamel to price watch Amazon.

• rebunky
    8 years ago

What a difference! The island is my favorite (love the stain finish) with that stages and the knife slot right in the counter. Everything looks so functional and beautiful. The pipe smoke with light grout was the perfect choice. Very, very, well done!

ImWithJoe thanked rebunky
  • ImWithJoe
    Original Author
    8 years ago

RE pipe smoke. But for GW friends we would never have found it. My wild hair might have preferred the mock up below, but the VP would have none of it.

• Jeannine Fay
    8 years ago

AAAAAAAMMMMMMAZZZZZINGGGGG!!!! I could wander through your kitchen opening drawers, cabinets, turing on faucets, and generally making a nuisance of myself for hours. Yet, for all its amazingness your simple design choices keep things very restful and understated.

ImWithJoe thanked Jeannine Fay
  • beachem
    8 years ago

Nightowl, did you do zero reveal on the left and right side of the stages 45 after all. Can you post pictures. I couldn't quite see the edges.

• amck2
    8 years ago

That's a fabulous kitchen. The thought you put into everything from storage to finishes is evident. It looks great and will work well!

Hard to pick a favorite feature, but that tile backsplash is a winner! And of course, the dogs... ;)

Congrats & thank you for sharing.

ImWithJoe thanked amck2
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

Absolutely stunning.

ImWithJoe thanked cpartist
  • ImWithJoe
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Stages sink reveals - positive on front and back, zero on left and right.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

It turned out great--really stunning, and has such wonderful function. Your photographic skills are great, too--this looks like a magazine shoot. I know you'll enjoy it every time you walk into the kitchen.

ImWithJoe thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • ImWithJoe
    Original Author
    8 years ago

TY mama. In my "other life," I do sport photography, so I have good glass. These were practice shots. Next batch will be really good ones with proper lighting for the GC and cabinet guy for their business development.

The house is torn up everywhere else getting ready for the floor redo that all the workers created. So, I can't get good full shots yet. Maybe next week.

• malabacat
    8 years ago

Your kitchen is stunning! What a great place for your knives!

ImWithJoe thanked malabacat
  • Carrie B
    8 years ago

I keep returning to that shelf above your sink. What a brilliant idea! The entire kitchen is lovely!

ImWithJoe thanked Carrie B
  • ImWithJoe
    Original Author
    8 years ago

A few more dog shots for those interested in the breed.

• DYH
    8 years ago

Stunning kitchen! There's so much there to study, but I zeroed in on your mixer pullout--do you have the model number for what you used?

Your dogs are so cute! A friend of mine has two Papillon.

ImWithJoe thanked DYH
  • ImWithJoe
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think the pull out is this Rev-A-Shelf

• DYH
    8 years ago

Thanks!

ImWithJoe thanked DYH
  • ILoveRed
    8 years ago

It's just beautiful and what an amazing price.

ImWithJoe thanked ILoveRed
  • Erica L
    8 years ago

Beautiful! Love what you have done. And thank you for posting your costs - it really is helpful for me to compare to what we are spending. I have been tracking things on excel while I've been going, so I may have to do the same. Although sometimes I'm embarrassed at how much we are spending!

ImWithJoe thanked Erica L
  • Danielle Gottwig
    8 years ago

Very smart and bright! I love the shelf over the sink and how it balances with the vent hood.

Even if it doesn't add to resale value on paper, I would think it adds some "value" anyway - a stunning, desirable kitchen (which this is!) might well move the house faster, and make the buyer more emotionally invested in the price negotiation staying positive. Both those soft advantages tend to translate into money, in the end. Not that this matters - it's for you - but it's a nice thought to have.

ImWithJoe thanked Danielle Gottwig
  • artemis_ma
    8 years ago

Lovely! (Well, especially the pooches...) But no, that's a great kitchen!

I love the built-in knife rack, and the shelf over the sink. And the inset wood cutting board countertop. Oh, and what wonderful storage!!!

ImWithJoe thanked artemis_ma
  • anitamo
    8 years ago

You've created a spectacular kitchen, both functional and beautiful. I can't pick out a favorite feature, because I just love it all. And your pups...truly the icing on the cake...that you no doubt will be baking soon. :)))

ImWithJoe thanked anitamo
  • Meris
    8 years ago

What an amazing kitchen!! Beautiful! Just curious, how far apart are the two Karbon faucets on the sink?

ImWithJoe thanked Meris
  • K L
    8 years ago

Your kitchen looks amazing. Do you plan to actually use the cutting board on the island to cut? If so, what will maintenance be like? I love the look of butcher block, but worry about longevity.

ImWithJoe thanked K L
  • ImWithJoe
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Distance between is 21 inches. There isn't a rule there. We have the knives so were a bit constrained by that. See photos below for faucet measurement photos.

re: walnut board. Yes, as the song goes, "the first cut is the deepest." We clean our wood cutting boards with lemon and salt and then some soapy water. When I am feeling OCD, I have a light sanding block I run over them. You can also do a deep sand a few times a year if it really bothers you I suppose. We also have cutting boards over the sink that get the majority of use. I have on my calendar to oil monthly. You can use straight mineral oil, or This spoon butter recipe

• Tmnca
    8 years ago

Great clean look! The original was expensive "looking" but rather baroque.

ImWithJoe thanked Tmnca
  • motherwallace
    8 years ago

Wow! What a wonderful transformation. Love the organizer under your clean-up sink. It's exactly what I need. Is it rev-a-shelf?

ImWithJoe thanked motherwallace
  • ImWithJoe
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Under the sink is two pull-outs. The trash is maybe a rev-a-shelf. We had to cut the back of the trash can down with a hack saw for the drain. It was easy to do and isn't noticeable. The one to the right - I picked up on clearance a few years ago for another project but never used. I don't know the manufacturer.

• beachem
    7 years ago

Nightowl, can you post detail pictures of your easy each doors and how they open. My installer and I are disagreeing on how. I want two door independently of each other and he wants one hinged door.

The middle part where they meet is what I'm not sure how it's set up.

• ImWithJoe
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The corner cabinet is ONE box to the ceiling. It works as I designed it, but some might not like that the corner looks just a bit wonky. The storage capacity is HUGE! Make sure an extra strong support system is used as the weight of just the box and shelving is great and if you put dishes and other other heavy items you could have a weight problem. It isn't a perfect thing as I designed it and I am no expert here. The left must be opened first and closed last. If I had used knobs, a fake knob could be on the right side door, but I chose bars before realizing the left door wouldn't clear a bar on the right door. Minor thing and we moved on. It isn't necessary to have a pull on the right side door, it is just a look thing. We may sink a bar deeper into the right door just for the look

• beachem
    7 years ago

Thank you for your quick response. I may have to go with Soss hinges singe my left door is so small. My cab is also deep at 24".

I agree that it's huge storage. 24"x42" is a lot of space to waste.

• Kristine
    7 years ago

Hi Nightowl, I love your kitchen! I was thinking about doing something similar to the walnut inset in your island to avoid a seam in a large island.

Can you comment on the logistics of incorporating the two materials in your island? Did your countertop fabricator/installer work with you on this design, or did you have to be the liaison between the stone fabricator and hardwood supplier? Who did the installation, and are the two materials attached along the edge? I'm assuming it's still holding up ok?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

• lapsangtea
    7 years ago

Lovely transformation! Congrats and I am sure you must be LOVING it!!! So so much nicer, aesthetically and functionally :)

• ImWithJoe
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello Kristine - I am just seeing your question. A year later and the walnut cutting board is still great. For logistics. The island has a wood support right where the marble and wood meet and also around the center of the board and of course the perimeter. So, when designing the island, the supports had to be added to the design.

For installation, it was easy. I just had the marble cut short and they installed it. For the board, make sure the stone side is not finished as it needs to be a straight edge to butt up against the stone) The board is attached using L brackets I think every few inches on the perimeter and few around the center. It took a bit of work to make sure the board snugged right up to the marble when screwing it in, but it is totally fine.

I initially thought I would need to add a bead of silicone, but never did. A year later and it looks the same as the day we put it in. It isn't a crumb catcher where the two edges meet, but I am not too messy. I can imagine it might be a drip problem if I was slaughtering hogs on it or something....

• PRO
    Vanstavern Design Group Inc
    4 years ago

Will you please tell me where you got the warming shelves above the stove that are mounted directly on the tile? I can't seem to find any that aren't on a stainless steel backsplash.

• wilson853
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I am not Zeus but here's the part numbers from an old thread and her original post above. Hopefully they are still valid. I was also very interested in these at one time but ended up going with a rack from IKEA. When I called Windcrest a few years back the price had gone up to $45 for the shelves..

Warming shelf rack - #10028, MSRP = $36.40 ea
    Upper clip - #10089 (one per shelf), MSRP=$5.80 ea
    Lower clip - #10089 (two per shelf), MSRP= $5.80 ea
    Shipping cost is additional
    Wind Crest
    CNP Industries, Inc. 1-877-387-6721

• PRO
    Vanstavern Design Group Inc
    4 years ago

Thank you!

• tolsted
    2 years ago

Resurfacing. CNP Industries has discontinued the warming shelf rack mentioned due to supplier issues. Has any one found any similar solutions?