Software
Houzz Logo Print
twelvegates

How to turn traditional oak raised panel kitchen into Arts and Crafts or Craftsman look

13 years ago
I am tired of this kitchen and would like to make it look more Arts/Crafts or Craftsman-like. I think there isn't much I can do unless I change the doors on the cabinets to a flat panel. I think the stain color needs to change. I hope there are others that can consider this and think more "outside the box." If you think my dream is hopeless without a major remodel, go ahead and say so. TIA.

Comments (10)

  • 13 years ago
    Replace the cabinet doors with Oak Shaker doors --- you could probably keep the drawer fronts as they look like they are slab. Stain should be a darker brown. (Look at the darkest oak pieces in the floor - go even darker). Cabinet drawer pulls and knobs in a burnished bronze, squared Shaker style knobs. You might need to change out the pendant lights, but that would be the last step. You might consider changing the crown molding for a simpler, Shaker-style molding if the budget allows. The granite counter tops and what looks like an off-white or slightly beige tile will work well. Looks like you've got a well laid out kitchen with plenty of storage.
  • 13 years ago
    One thing would be larger more dramatic pendant lights
    Here is the link to arts and crafts from rejuvenation
    http://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/categories/lighting/arts-crafts
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you both.

    I was thinking about changing both the cabinet doors and pendant lights, but am a little fearful of refinishing the entire cabinets to match the darker tone that I need for the look I'm after.

    Anyone ever try to strip existing cabinets and match them to newly finished doors???
  • 13 years ago
    Stripping is a big job, but the company that sells you the new cabinet doors should be able to help you with the refinishing of your existing cabinets. It would be difficult to match the new doors to the existing stained cabinets because oak darkens as it ages, so I think a new stain, or refinishing would be a part of the package that came with new doors.
    twelvegates thanked surfor
  • 13 years ago
    Maybe some plates or wrought iron over the window with the sink.
    twelvegates thanked Heather Tolley
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for the input. The pictures are depersonalized as I wanted to see what I had, bare bones. I'm still yearning for Craftsman, but don't know if I want to spend thousands to get it there.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Regardless of how you get there, reface, new doors, strip, sand and stain, total gut....it is going to be thousands. How many thousands is the operating question. Sorry to rain on you parade...sweat equity is great...without skill and expertise, results tend to be pretty unprofessional. By the way, most arts and crafts kitchens were unfitted. A table, a big hutch, a sink and drain board and a stove. White paint was common...it looked clean...showed dirt to be cleaned up. I know the history lesson doesn't bed your yearning for a modern craftsman kitchen...but there could be other options.
    twelvegates thanked Ironwood Builders
  • 11 years ago
    I would cut glass doors in the cabinets to the left of the window and light the interiors. I'd then paint the upper cabinets a light creamy white. The lower cabinets I'd paint a gray or another darker color to match your granite, or stain darker. I would not change out the doors to Shaker, you'd be surprised how different a panel door looks when it's painted. I've painted solid cherry cabinets in a dark Victorian kitchen, my friends were horrified, but they were too dark in the room.

    I'd also change out the window and door trim to something more traditional and chunkier, and painted. You have a lot of wood in that room, you don't need it around the window and door. If you have wooden blinds, they may be OK when you "reduce" the oak. New lights, as other posters have said, and some rugs from the period would be nice.

    Get a live plant or flowers in there somewhere, please.

    You don't have much room on top of the cabinets, so I'm a bit of a loss. I'd line up my antique toaster collection up there. New period cabinet pulls, too. Good luck, it's a great spacious kitchen, and you can have fun.

    Sorry about the groceries, here's a photo of the toasters.
    twelvegates thanked pabrocb
  • 11 years ago
    Great advice! Thank you so much!