Software
Houzz Logo Print
wildfeuer

Tree dilemma

10 years ago
Bought this tree love it but...not sure where to place it in the room? Not happy where it stands now. Maybe move the furniture around ?

Comments (20)

  • 10 years ago
    Another pic to get an idea
  • 10 years ago

    I love your mid-century style! And the rug! I agree the tree is a little tall on the one side. I think the problem is not particularly the placement of the tree but the fact that the room seems a little cold. Lots of legs! I would get a much larger rug (if possible) to warm up the space. Also I would balance out the tree with a larger piece of art above the fireplace (if you keep it in the spot it's in now) Move the tree a little more into the corner and the green chair a little closer to the tree. Also a larger pot for the tree would help, not taller but wider. Hope this helps.

  • 10 years ago
    I have no comment on the tree. But I LOVE your room!!!!!
  • 10 years ago

    The scale of the tree does seem a bit off, but it might be better suited to a larger pot -- to balance the top of the tree with the bottom. Love the room!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I love your space too IMO you need an arc lamp in that corner instead of the tree. I think it is too bare at the bottom and it is top heavy maybe a shorter fuller tree or none at all in this perfect room.

  • 10 years ago

    What a fabulous room! Love it! But I think the tree, although in the right place, is too tall.

  • 10 years ago
    Great looking room! Since your ficus lyatra is new to the space, and since it is already a bit tall for the space, I would take about 8" off the taller stem. It's not going to hurt the tree, and it will lighten the look of it in the space. I think you already have it in the ideal spot in term of keeping it healthy, so just tweak it with a bit of pruning on the tall stem. You may also lose a leaf or two as it gets used to its new home, and that is not a concern. I see it as a pretty sculptural plant that just needs a little extra lightness in the space. I would not repot it. You have it in a good size pot right now, and it can stay in that pot size for quite a long time. Google some care instructions to help you keep it healthy.
  • 10 years ago
    The only downside which I just noticed, is that I see to the pot is that it looks to be in a sealed pot which does make it harder to care for, and water properly. Generally speaking, sealed pots are rarely a good thing for plants.
  • 10 years ago

    The tree does not fit the room. How fast does it grow? It is already too tall for the ceiling height. Will it be affected by the heat that will blow on it?

  • 10 years ago
    Pruned version
  • 10 years ago
    The tree is a fig fiddlehead
  • 10 years ago

    Good Job, it looks better trimmed.

  • 10 years ago

    looks better moved into the corner, too

  • 10 years ago
    Fig fiddlehead is one common name for it, while ficus lyatra is the scientific name.

    Your pruned version looks better.
  • 10 years ago

    Bravo....the magic of scissors :)

  • 10 years ago

    Can you place the tree & pot it is currently in inside a larger pot? It is a very pretty tree! Do your windows face east? I'm terrible with living plants and wish I had a green thumb. When to water, how much to water - can never get it right.

  • 10 years ago
    Now I like it and a Gardner told me this pot is plenty big ...paid quite a bit of money for the pot alone ..:(
    Will maybe change it when patio season opens up.
  • 10 years ago
    The pot is plenty big enough. In fact going to a larger pot size is probably not a good idea for the purposes of watering properly.
  • 10 years ago
    Lovey room, love your fiddle leaf!! Everything is perfect. Take good care of it, mine didn't last more than a few months!!!!