Software
Houzz Logo Print
karenfawcettkdf

Replace 17 yr old functioning electric dryer with gas?

10 years ago

I'm in the midst of a kitchen/laundry room remodel, which incudes running a gas line for a gas cooktop. I was not planning on replacing my washer and dryer, because both are functioning fine. While running the gas line for the cooktop, the plumber also ran a gas line into the laundry room for a future gas dryer. I have had no problems with my 17 yr old Magtag electric dryer, but started looking at gas dryers thinking it would be convenient to get a new one and have the plumber install it when he comes back for the cooktop. After all, a 17 yr old appliance isn't going to last forever. However, reading Houzz comments on the overall quality of new appliances and the numerous service problems, I'm starting to think I would be better off sticking with my old functioning dryer until it gives up the ghost. Does the efficiency of a new gas dryer offset potential quality/service issues?

Comments (9)

  • 10 years ago

    I agree with dadoes. Why chance a short-lived new appliance while the old one is still functional, especially dryers. Those old Maytags and Whirlpools were built to last. I got my Whirlpool in 1992.

    K F thanked nerdyshopper
  • 10 years ago

    Stay with electric. Easier to service, more choices, less cost.

    K F thanked thekiserprince
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    My Maytag electric dryer must be about the same vintage as yours and nerdyshopper. When I last bought a part (the drum belt) the supervisor of the parts department at the local appliance store where I bought it said "I always advise customers to stay with these older dryers as long as they can. The new stuff is junk." (He may have used more colorful language!) I've also replaced the heating unit but that's it. DIY repairs are easy and parts are readily available. All above are right on. Stand pat.

  • 10 years ago

    I'm guessing in the 1990s whatever preceded GardenWeb was full of posts advising people to hold onto their mid-70s washers and dryers because the (then-)new stuff was junk. Not disputing that it's true, but the sentiment is right up there with every generation thinking the young kids are going to ^#*& compared to when they were kids.


    All that said, I would run with the electric dryer until it's beyond economic repair. A new gas dryer of any decent quality will run you several hundred dollars. Add in the costs of running the gas line to the laundry room (and of making sure there's a 120 V socket available for the gas dryer; it won't run on 240), and the lower cost of gas drying will take a very long time to make up for what you've already paid to get the dryer. Who knows what gas costs/electric costs/your living situation will be by the time the payback arrives?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    "Beyond economic repair" may be a long, long way away for a 70s vintage dryer. My 1979 kenmore was completely dismantled for cleaning (lint built up behind the drum after all those years began smoldering) a couple of years ago and when the repair guy finished putting it back together again he said, "Now you're good to go for another 35 years."

    K F thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • 10 years ago

    I don't want to get rid of my 1992 Dependable Care Maytag dryer.

    K F thanked boba1
  • 10 years ago

    The thing about dryers is that majority of the routine-wear mechanical parts (belts, idlers, drum rollers, and such, even heating elements) are inexpensive and easy-fix items. Timers and some control switches that are model-specific can go NLA but those items on older machines are largely long-term dependable. A heavy-use household can wear out the motor bearings and motors are a more expensive fix ... but then it has a new motor and is good-to-go again for many years.

    K F thanked dadoes
  • 10 years ago

    You have much better low temps with the electric dryer. Gas tends to over dry clothes.

    K F thanked practigal