Software
Houzz Logo Print
noreastern

How important to sand cabinets before painting?

10 years ago

I am about to repaint my very old kitchen cabinets. They are already covered with several layers of paint, at least the top layer of which is latex. Since I would be putting a another few coats of latex, I'm wondering if I can avoid sanding them. (I am worried that some of the older layers of paint could contain lead.)

I have re-painted walls successfully without sanding, but I've read that it's more important for cabinets. On the other hand, these cabinets are the "cottage-y character" variety; you can tell that they have a bunch of coats of paint already and I'm not going for the perfectly smooth and new look.

Any advice is appreciated!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting