Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomash

Help finish my living room!

Kim C
8 years ago
We just got a new 85" sofa in our 11x11 foot room. I need help with the finishing touches as well as what to do with the TV wall. I will be taking down the shelves tonight or tomorrow night but am not sure what to do for that TV wall. This is our only room for a TV so it has to stay!

The layout is limited due to the partial wall segments but I think this layout works best for flow and conversation area.

Also, not sure if there is even room for coffee tables or if they just look to jammed? Thoughts?

Comments (74)

• Lila
    8 years ago

I prefer the lower tv cabinet. The tv is less obvious. I love everything Susan has done with your room. And the rug is just right.

• Kim C
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Joanna - the chairs actually end up overlapping with the tv cabinet because that wall is quite short. S Mistry, here is a pic of them facing straight on. Do you think it's worth convincing my hubby to move around the furniture tonight?

As for the current layout. I love the idea of the table between the chairs, rug and curtains. I'm really not sure if I love the shelves on the tv wall though. Susan & others, any suggestions for something else on that wall?
  • Kim C
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for the comments Lila! I agree :)
  • PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Remove the shelves and do a large oversized art piece or leave it alone.

Do you need both chairs there? And yes, it's worth rearranging.

I would start with a rug and substantial drapes (nothing sheer or light). Maybe a lined linen panel. See how the layout works. Post a pic then we can work on art and accessories. Nothing above the tv. If you are willing to get a longer console that might work better but we need to first determine layout.

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

I highly advise against blocking the opening with a table between the chairs. Your room is small. Don't clutter it with so many insignificant pieces. Let's first determine if the sofa works on the tv wall.

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

Also try pushing the sofa almost to the end of that tv wall rather than centered. You might get both chairs by the window wall that way.

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

Perhaps a small circular coffee table and no end tables might work better.

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

I also always advise not to convince hubbies to do anything but to just do it and see if they fight the change! Lol!

• PRO
    Iconic Deco Interiors
    8 years ago

Totally agree with S Mistry, but the idea of the two chairs opposite, I believe that block your way there. What about to keep them both straight and very close under the window side. It will open up your space

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

Yes that is the ideal layout! Did you say you tried it and it overlapped the sofa? But the sofa was centered right? Maybe push it over a tad off center.

• Annakathryn Carlson
    8 years ago
    Maybe move the sofa to the wall where the tv is, tv across from sofa but get rid of the tv cab and hang the tv instead. Chairs can be placed under the tv slightly angled in with a small table that could double as a media cab between? Also the shelves are mostly photos, maybe hang them instead to take up less space?
  • Kim C
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I really like that layout!! I'm gonna try to see if it will work after I put my toddler to bed tonight. It might not work in my room though cuz it's pretty small and may still overlap
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

tomash, I see no reason for changing the furniture around. Sorry. If you are not fond of the shelves then take them down and maybe do something like this with a longer TV console on the wall.

IMO there is not reason to open up the archway to dining room, one entryway into the seating area is enough. Leave the chairs where they are.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

I would forgo a rug; it will make an already small room look smaller and you don't need it to define the space.

I'd also keep your current seating arrangement. Overlapping furniture also makes a room feel small. I would remove the shelves and do a longer console on the TV wall with the TV off center and balanced by a plant or some art.

• Kim C
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I really like the look with the longer, low console Susan and Grover! That's pretty much what I was thinking. I was thinking of something like the attached photos but wasn't sure if it will look too heavy. Our dining room in the adjacent dining room is a somewhat similar type of wood.
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

Well the layout is a problem when you can't see the tv directly and when you are blocking Windows with a sofa. There's a perfect wall for the tv and couch. If you don't need two chairs, forgo one in favor of better use of space.

Style wise, the top console works well with your MCM inspired chairs. Size wise it depends where your tv ends up.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

I would keep the console long and low. Above, I just rebuilt the one you had so you could see the proportions I would aim for. If it's long enough, the ends can serve as side tables for the sofa and the chair on the right.

Are you in Canada?

• Kate
    8 years ago
    I would not use a console at all if you don't need it. Mount the tv on the wall and use your existing shelves below the TV. Get a coffee table instead.
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

Someone on another dilemma put two red Ikea PS cabinets end to end. It looked great. Here's the white:

• Kim C
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    S Mistry my hubby is keen on the idea of facing the tv. I am just a bit hesitant because that was similar to our old layout and it felt unbalanced. But I'm open to trying.

I like the low, long console table but I still like something a bit more substantial.
  • Kim C
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    And yes, I live in Canada :)
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

The sideboards are too tall, I think. I like the Seattle and it comes in a lower media stand, but it's a little short.

Modern media units - tv stands | Structube · More Info

• PRO
    Design Directives, LLC
    8 years ago

Maybe sharing a photograph of a TV and stand from our portfolio will be of use to you. Notice how big the stand is?

Desert Contemporary Residence · More Info

• Kim C
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your input! After a bunch of work, we tried every layout and the only 2 that were at all feasible was Susan and S Mistry layouts. Overall, the best layout visually and functionally was the original one similar to Susan's. I had my hubby take down the shelves so we will be looking for a console table soon!
  • Kim C
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Any suggestions of how to balance out the TV wall? I can try the tree on the couch wall corner instead?
  • shiningautumn8
    8 years ago
    Is there some reason you are forcing these 2 chairs in a room where they dont fit well? It is sad to block a beautiful bay window. Simply put the couch on the shelf wall. Leave 1 chair where it is and use the other in another room or sell it. If you need more seating put a small bench, 2 cubes or heavy poof in the bay window. That 2nd chair is limiting everything. Opening the windiw up opens the room ip. Blocking windows and entryways closes in an already small room.

I love your decor, very nice. I particularlt love how you styled the shelves altho I guess they are gone now anyway.
  • Kim C
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi shining autumn...I know what you are saying but the other layout was jamming the entrance to the room. We recently moved into this house and the chairs were a new purchase in our old house so I'm not ready to sell one yet. :)
  • PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

I feel like you are cramming in small pieces in every which corner to compensate for lack of visual interest in the form of proper sized pieces, curtains and layout. At the very least, perhaps try moving the chair in the corner where the shelves were.

remove baskets. Everything is filling up the little wall space you have.

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

You have a long wall where the couch can properly fit. The chairs dont have to be lined up if you want both in there. And the bay window is just getting covered up.

• shiningautumn8
    8 years ago
    Try it in a bedroom maybe? Just aaying, you are holding onto the single bottleneck in this room which is one sole chair. It blocks the entryway, blocks the sofa, or causes the window to be blocked. How often is it sat on?
  • shiningautumn8
    8 years ago
    This would then be the best layout, minus the 2nd chair by window. It might delight you to see how it opens up the room. Then add drapes and remove blinds.
  • Kim C
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I really like this inspiration photo.
  • Kim C
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Ok here is the layout with the 2 chairs facing each other...sorry I didn't take the pic with only 1 chair. Both walls (window and tv wall) are the same length.
  • shiningautumn8
    8 years ago
    I prefer that much better but scoot the tv over to the left a tad so its not abutting the doorway. Id still move the chair in the window to another room. I love the inspiration room but its a much larger room than yours with a much larger window.
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

I'd angle them to face the sofa for conversation. Shove the TV console left so a bit of wall is exposed behind the right end of it. Otherwise, it looks makeshift.

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

Can you humor me and try pushing sofa over with two chairs by window? I just want to see. Otherwise I like this layout much better

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

Your hubby looks annoyed! Lol. Tell him sorry from me :)

• Kim C
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    We moved the layout back to the original and there is no way I will be convincing my hubby to move it again tonight lol! Perhaps tomorrow night
  • PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

Why on earth the architect left two entryways is beyond me! Totally irritates me!

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

Send him to bed and do it yourself, I'm joking! How do you like it with the tv on that wall?

• shiningautumn8
    8 years ago
    Why did you move it back so quickly? Whenever you are testing arrangements you need to live with it for a say or so. This room is simply a tad too small for all your furnishings
  • Jennifer Abbott
    8 years ago

get the felt furniture moving pads from lowes or home depot. they're inexpensive and you can easily move things around without hubby's help.

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

Window treatment ideas.

Hotel Inspired Bedroom · More Info

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

Rugs

Genuine Eco Friendly Wool Flokati Shag Rug White 5' X 7' · More Info

NuLoom Rug Moroccan Trellis Shag Rug, Diamond Gray · More Info

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

Round Nesting Coffee Tables - Modern Basics by Hammary · More Info

• auntthelma
    8 years ago

Surprised you moved it all back without trying it out.

You said you wanted the sofa to face the TV. I agree. A seat straight on to the TV is a must have in our house.

I think if you remove one chair you will find you can love your TV room again.

Your furniture is lovely and the room is really cozy and pretty.

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

Are you stuck on the original layout because of the inspiration photo? That room doesn't have a tv, two openings, bay window and other things to contend with.

If the entrance to room feels squished, maybe try moving tv over on that small tv wall and both chairs across the window wall blocking that other entry. So you have an unobstructed entry into the room from where hubby is standing.

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

Then if you like that layout and budget allows, later down the road, close up the larger opening with drywall

• PRO
    Ross Howard Designs
    8 years ago

I agree with the placement of the sofa on the big wall and chairs in front of the window. Would like to suggest drapery panels on either side of the window to soften the look. It would also give a nice backdrop to the chair setting.