Software
Houzz Logo Print
nico72

Desperately want to get rid of carpet!! Pergo??

10 years ago

The carpet in our family room drives me nuts. It's got a scratchy indoor-outdoor feel and is beige but very discolored. The floor beneath it is slab. The rest of the house, upstairs and downstairs, has white oak hardwood. I have been wanting to tile the room but someone on houzz mentioned how cold that would be -- that it really only works in warm climates -- so I'm reconsidering. Would be a mistake to do a laminate, either matching with the hardwood or complementing it somehow? I really like the Golden Bamboo Pergo. I plan to use area rugs, by the way.

Comments (17)

  • 10 years ago

    Yes, I think you're right. I'd really love to do tile, and I've seen lots of nice pics on Houzz of tiled family rooms.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    A great option for you to explore would be luxury vinyl tile. It has the look of tile(and can even be grouted!) without the drawbacks of tile(cold and hard on joints). It is also perfect for installation on slab floors.

    Here are a few examples of the luxury vinyl tile available-

    There are many manufacturers out there. I recommend viewing the product in person, not all LVT is created equal!

    A few of my favorites are Armstrong, Mannington and Karndean.

    Nico thanked Srote & Co Architects | Planners | Interiors
  • 10 years ago

    Have you considered cork? It goes over a slab well, is warm and nice on the feet (also simple to install)

    Nico thanked mramsey
  • 10 years ago

    If you want to tile but are worried about the cold, consider having the in-floor heat installed with it. It is more expensive, and tile can be expensive to start with, but all those I know who have the in-floor heat with the tile love it.

    Nico thanked jhmarie
  • 10 years ago
    I have a tiled floor and don't live in a warm climate (only in summer, with a bit of luck). Our previous home had a stone floor with underfloor heating. Bliss! We don't have underfloor heating here (wish we had) and yes, it is not the warmest floor ever. But we have area rugs in the living area and in the kitchen. We always walk on socks indoors. Maybe we're just hardy people.
    Nico thanked Carolina
  • 10 years ago

    We are getting an estimate on Friday to do the tile we want! I wish we could afford the in-floor heat, but I'm pretty sure that's not an option for us. Wool rugs will have to do. At any rate, I am SUPER excited! I've already started looking at rugs. :)


  • 10 years ago
    Good luck with your project :-)
    Nico thanked Carolina
  • 10 years ago

    Nico72, double check on the in floor heating - it is actually not that expensive. You can buy the matts at lowes, we got one for our bathroom (3'x9') for $200 and you don't need to cover the entire floor, just areas where you may walk. Just have an electrician or experienced person install it because ours is defective and has a current leak :(

    Nico thanked User
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I would stay away from bamboo. As installers bamboo is the only floor we have ever had a complaint about. Only a couple but that is one too many for me! Very fickle floor, do your research.

    Nico thanked HillCo Construction & Interior Transformations
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I'm not a fan of tile in a family room, unless your in Florida or Spain ;-) If you have hardwood every were else, why not do hardwood in your family room also? If you're on a slab, it will need to be engineered hardwood (can't nail hardwood into a concrete slab). It will be worth the investment when you sell your home.

  • 10 years ago
    We did luxury vinyl and loved it... Now I hear it toxic??
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    LVT is better than other vinyls, I'm forwarding this article from the writers of http://www.ecocenter.org/article/hs-news-news/new-study-finds-toxic-chemicals-widespread-vinyl-flooring:

    "Consumer Reports notably recommended that, “(A)lthough phthalate levels are very low, we recommend that parents of toddlers wet-mop often and wash those little hands after they’ve been crawling on a vinyl floor,”

    This comes on the heels of a report we co-released from HealthyStuff which found that nearly 60% of vinyl floor tiles tested contained phthalates. A companion report also found that recycled vinyl flooring can contain not only phthalates but other toxic additives - notably high levels of lead and cadmium.

    In response to the growing concerns about toxic phthalates in flooring, the nation's three largest home improvement chains (Home Depot, Lowe's and Menards) have adopted policies to phase out all ortho-phthalates in flooring by the end of 2015. Lumber Liquidators has also instructed suppliers to evaluate alternatives.

    The writing is on the wall - phthalates are making their way out of PVC flooring, and it's only a matter of time before major flooring retailers and brands also set restrictions on recycled vinyl, until recycled vinyl feedstocks can be sourced free of toxic additives."

  • 10 years ago
    I will have to look more into this! Thank you!
  • 10 years ago

    Hmmm... I'll be asking about the floor heating with the estimate. Thanks for all the advice!

  • 10 years ago
    We are in the process of replacing all of the carpet in the house with oak hardwood (engineered) to match the oak floors in the living areas of the house! The engineered has a full quarter inch of oak and is in tongue and groove strips the same width as original. Once laid they will be sanded stained and finished to match. Our installer makes a transition sort of threshold between old and new so difference in grade is very gradual. He is quite an artist at it. I'll send a photo when finished. Just started this week!
  • 10 years ago

    That sounds amazing, bonniesl!! I'd love to see photos!