Software
Houzz Logo Print
noviceinvestor

Bathroom remodel disaster

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

I am looking to do a remodel of my bathroom and trying to stay under $10k. I have received some ideas from local remodelers but don't love the ideas thus far.

One recommendation was to simply reglaze the tile in the bathroom (floors and walls) a white color, re-glaze the tub white, remove the sliding glass door and just use a nice curtain, replace the cabinets with newer cabinets (dark brown) and countertop, and paint the room a Revere Pewter or Accessible Biege color. I am open to this.

Also, we don't love the window in the shower. What can we do about that? If we remove it, there will be no natural light in the bathroom.

Also, where should I get my cabinets? I've looked on Restoration Hardware's sale site and local outlet store and also Home Depot. So many choices. I'd like about 8' of cabinets and RH really doesn't have them that size.

Comments (68)

  • 10 years ago

    Reglazing is a waste of money (been there done that) I put glass block to replace the window in the tub.

  • 10 years ago

    My understanding about tile paint (I am not sure if that is the same as a glaze) from an episode I saw on Ask This Old House is that it is a temporary fix - they were using a special kit to paint backsplash tile in a kitchen. The homeowner said it was a temporary fix till she could redo the entire kitchen.

    I do not think it would withstand the water and cleaning of a shower, though it might last on the walls. Also, when your shower was originally built, waterproofing behind the walls was not done as it was not the standard then. The shower tile could last for many years, or it could leak, damage the wall behind (including mold) and fail - as mine did.

    If you decide to glaze the wall tile, consider an acrylic surround for the tub/shower. When we put in a new bathroom downstairs when we finished the basement, I had the walls tiled a wainscot height similar to your last picture, but used an acrylic tub/shower combo and shower curtain. It is my son's bathroom and the acrylic is easier to keep clean which is good since it is his responsibility. It is not even visible behind the curtain - not that anybody is critiquing my basement bathroom.

  • 10 years ago

    I think to stay under 10K:

    1. Reglazed the tiles white, but the floor tiles in need a change since its already have black spots.. doesn't look hygiene. Can change with large rectangle tiles in light grey.

    2. The bath sliding doors needs an update, here's some inspiration:

    3. The cabinet, Just need an remodel update for the countertops into granite (light grey, creamy white or black, you decide) and the white other parts add up thick wood film (choose the most natural one, such oak) to change into a more natural look. And the drawers, need to be updated into an open drawer with baskets.

    4. If its possible, for the mirror. Add LED string lights behind the mirror to add more light & elegance.


    West Avenue Building, 2 bd apartment · More Info

    noviceinvestor thanked Mr Pao
  • 10 years ago

    You will have to decide where to spend the money. It sounds like you really want new tile, new tub and new flooring. Get a quote on that and see if you have any money left.

    If you replace the toilet please donate it to Habitat or some similar place. Someone out there needs an art deco toilet.

  • 10 years ago

    You have more than 10K worth of demolition there. The whole project wants will approach 30K.

    You need to get real. Or get real handy.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Sophie, I'm not real sure how you figure $30k in demolition? What would cost that much? If that's the case, I would leave the tile and just swap out the cabinets and light fixtures and paint the bathroom.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I love the tile! Is it in good shape? If so I would leave the tile as is and spend the money on a new white cabinet & counter top, paint, light fixtures and a new shower door.

    noviceinvestor thanked Mary Dancey Interiors
  • 10 years ago

    Prices vary widely from one part of the country to another. Sophie's quotes are extremely high for my area. Talk to some friends, neighbors who have had some work done and get a few names of contractors. Get some bids - it is the only way to know what you can afford in your area.

  • 10 years ago

    With tile on every wall, I can sure see 10K worth of demo and wall replacement. In a bath of that era, you can count on the plumbing and electrical needing to be brought up to current code. Say 4-7K A correctly waterproofed tub shower would be another 5-7K. Add in new cabinetry at 2-5K, a new vanity top at 2-4K, and all new tile floors at 2K and the LOWEST number that Id expect this bath Reno to cost would be 25K. Add in some new lighting and putting up grab bars etc, and you'd be very close to 30K.


  • 10 years ago

    If it were my bathroom, and I had a limited budget.......

    1.) keep the tile, including the floor, if it's in good condition. It is vintage and a great color to work with. That alone saves thousands of dollars and a lot of time and mess.

    2) add fluffy, white spa towels.

    3.) new custom vanity and framed mirrors.

    4.) new over mirror lighting.

    5.) clear glass shower door, perhaps just a single panel. Add a hand held spray so that you don't need to reach in, turn on the overhead shower and get wet before the water warms up.

    There is so much you can do with that bathroom without tearing out, reglazing, retiling. And a good scrubbing of the tub might just make it look new. Good luck.

    noviceinvestor thanked flopsycat1
  • 10 years ago

    live wire - having had two friends recently totally remodel bathes such as this - one in a 1960's home and one in a victorian, I can say that those cost are way higher than my area. I am getting 31 sq ft of quartz installed in my kitchen - price $3300, so I am having trouble seeing 2-4K for vanity top - and laminate is a perfectly good choice for a vanity top too. 2-5K for a vanity cabinet - most of the cabinet makers here would be much less than that. This house may not be in a "high end" neighborhood and investing 30K in a bathroom would be an investment never recovered if it is over the top for the neighborhood. Only by getting local estimates will the OP see how far his / her money will go.

  • 10 years ago

    My 50's bathroom was very similar to yours. I did a total gut job to studs for 15K. and live in metro NY area where everything costs more. I went a little overboard on the tiles and the vanity, bathtubs are cheap. Tub, toilet and plumbing and towel racks (Home Depot) tiles (the tile shop) I also spent hours on line researching vanities and bought mine at bath and kitchen store.

  • 10 years ago

    when I did my bathroom ..I bought all the stuff myself over a period of time ..loo ..shower ,,sink ..tiles .. flooring and then paid someone to fit it all.. cost me less than £2000

  • 10 years ago

    Not saying that it couldn't be done for less. Especially DIY. Those are just middle of the road average numbers based on the last year's bath projects (63) that we did. The average middle of the road bath project that we do ends up about 20K. Lower end usually ends up around 12K. High end, around 40. Houzz level? Around 60.

  • 10 years ago

    I like what is there. It's actually pretty current and retro at the same time. Not easy to pull off, and it walks the line well.

    No way will 10K touch what needs to be done for a gut renovation if you are paying labor. It would cover materials, if you had 3-6 months to DIY the job. But, you'd still need to update all of the plumbing and electrical and tile and all the rest. 15 might cover an acrylic tub and walls, with vinyl for the floor and paid labor. It won't cover a tile bath with Kerdi waterproofing and other upgrades.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Ok, we've had a couple contractors come through our house and they told us to rip out the tiles we'd be looking at multiple thousands of dollars of demo so they suggested we either keep them that color or glaze them white for a temporary fix. They also said we could keep the floor tile but we want new floors. So we are going to rip out the current vanity and replace it with a new vanity and put wood tile floors on the floor and just glaze the bluish tiles white. Here is the vanity we like from HD which is on sale this week for $1600. It is distressed gray with black granite countertop. Do you think it's a good fit for what we're trying to do or do you have a better quality vanity for under $2k?

    And here are the tile floors we think we might put down, Marazzi Montagna Harvestwood from HD. Should we go lighter or darker? We really like the wood tile look as we have a honey oak color in the rest of the house:

  • 10 years ago

    Your house, your rules. But I'm in mourning for what could have been a fab retro reno and will now be cookie-cutter 2016.

  • 10 years ago

    Adding the wood tile floor, the dark vanity and white-glazing the wall tile could look like a half-completed remodel. If you stockpile some extra floor tiles, you could replace the tub down the road. If the wall tile isn't coved, you could replace it later, too.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Really poor use of limited resources. Halfassing a renovation with a cheepchinese faddish vanity and trendy flooring while you spend money on a temporary solution like painting the tiles might as well just set fire to the money.

  • 10 years ago

    Wait until you have the budget to do the whole thing. We did piece meal and it's not worth it. Lived with our 50 year old glazed peeling bathroom and finally did a complete gut and remodel.

  • 10 years ago

    A peeling paint coating on tile and a crumbling vanity will make sure that your gut renovation comes sooner than you have planned for it. And you won't have the 10K to even get started with the 30K renovation that will be needed at that point.

    Wait. Save more money. Investigate a HELOC or maybe a loan so that you can do the whole thing, correctly, at once. Get a designer involved. Your current choices clash, and are so trendy as to be out of style in 5 years time. Who wants to spend the kind of money that a bathroom costs and almost instantly regret it?

  • 10 years ago
    We had our 3 1/2 baths reglazed nine years ago and they still look great. We use them every day. I would up to keep your Aqua color because that is a favorite of mine but I went with white reglazing and everything looks crisp and clean
  • 10 years ago

    Did the contractors talk about removing the tile, which is an arduous task, or just cutting out the drywall, for the demo? Much easier and faster just to cut out the drywall. Also, getting rid of the tub is expensive - especially if it is cast iron (which if it is cast iron, I would keep.)

    Kohler makes a 72 inch USA made vanity for around $2000. Again, check with a local cabinetmaker. We had a local Amish store that was less than $2000, but I haven't checked there recently. That said, I have a small vanity in one bathroom from a home center store. It is a bit over 10 years old - and I get to refinish it next summer - oh fun! My experience with that one is one reason I have refinished the older cabinetry rather than go home center in a hardworking, wet place like a bathroom.

    The shower is the thing that really has to be done correctly. It will be the bulk of the cost and worth getting right. Whatever you do, be sure that if you retile the shower, that you ask them to show you the waterproofing - which will be more than just putting up cement board. Spend some time reading over some threads in the John Bridge Tile Forum to educate yourself a bit on shower remodeling. It is not a DIY job, but every home owner should know the basics. One thing we see here often is pics of showers being installed incorrectly.

    http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1

    Just glazing the tiles in the shower is not a good use of the money. Put your hand against the walls in the shower - do they wobble or bow at all? Just a little leak in these old fashion tile jobs will cause havoc including leaks to the ceiling below if it is on a second floor. I did like my similar blue tile when I moved into my 1970s home, but within weeks water from hairline cracks in the grout leaked to the ceiling below. So, the shower needs more than a cosmetic upgrade.

    I have some oak in my home too - the rustic look tile and vanity may not blend or it may. I personally like mosaic tile bathroom floors because they are less trendy and fit with older homes.

    We recently had a thread here about someone painting their tiles with a special kit for tile - they are very unhappy with the results, but it was not a professional job.

  • 10 years ago
    I had this same bathroom issue in an old house. My floor tile was toast, so we put down marble on the floor, picked a neutral color from the marble for the wall tile re-glaze and updated the cabinet with new doors and faucet. If you do that it should come in under $10,000. Ours looked like a new bathroom. We had PINK and MAROON tile - the pink was the color of peptobismal.
  • 10 years ago
    I actually believe you could have an awesome deco bathroom if you just embrace it! I love the floor tiles and the rounded wall tiles! Have you searched here for inspiration on Art Deco bathrooms? They are stunning and you could achieve similar here I think. You could have something very special and unique!
  • 10 years ago
    You have a wonderful mid century modern bathroom....research this style and add new lighting, paint, shower curtain , toilet and, if needed a bath...add big fluffy towels and enjoy!
  • 10 years ago
    I really like your tile the way it is, it is so rare to see tile work look so good after years. It has such a cheery look. replacing your vanity would help update the space, something with clean lines and inset doors. Either flat or simple 1 panel shaker style. and removing the door to the bathtub would help. A crisp white paint color on the walls would look nice. If your bathroom goes with the style of you house, I wouldn't recommend changing everything.It may look odd and like it doesn't belong.
  • 10 years ago
    I concur with the other commenters. You have a fabulous mid-century bathroom, and it looks to be in excellent shape. If you are not going to do a full gut remodel, work with what you have, not against it. Your current choices are already dated and they clash with the structure and feel of the room.
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for all the feedback. If you think the vanity I picked out from Home Depot is cheap quality, then please suggest a place where I can get a better quality one. I've also looked at this one from the Restoration Hardware outlet which I like. Would it be better quality then the Home Depot one?

  • 10 years ago

    Here's another RH Outlet one. This one is like a metal grey finish. Both cost about $1100 w/o a top but I'll have to figure out how to get them to my house

  • 10 years ago

    The same cabinet makers that do kitchens also do bathroom vanities. Have a look for some of those professionals in your area. You'll get a much better product, custom made for your space with the details you want. And it probably won't cost much more than the generic HD stuff you're currently looking at.

  • 10 years ago

    I also am sad to see this go...but that's my own personal opinion...

    The tile is fabulous and so is the floor.

    But we live in an area where stuff is usually new and generic and has zero character, so I would love 50's pink and maroon tile, blue tile, yellow tile....

    You seem not to love it, so you have to start somewhere though. Finding good prices on stuff does take time and work, but it can be done if you are willing to do it. My whole house reno took time, but I collected from various sources (Habitat for Humanity restore for surplus new tile, Craigslist, surplus stores, online sources) and stored all over the place until I could do a room.

    "Instant" is rather expensive.

    Good luck.

  • 10 years ago
    To echo Jennifer's remarks above, go to several kitchen and bath cabinet businesses for ideas and quotes. It will be much better than a ready made vanity. There should be a Floor and Decor in your area where you can find good prices on tile. All these business will have contractor referrals, too.

    We just remodeled our 3 bathrooms. I ordered cabinets at a kitchen design business, and they offered many many options. I walked around a granite slab retailer and met a fabricator there by chance, and ended up buying left over slab pieces from his shop. Saved a bundle. Once I picked out the granite for 2 baths, marble for the master, then I picked the tile floors and walls. I ordered under mount sinks and faucets from Amazon. I bought tile from Floor and Decor, The Tile Shop, and Enser.

    Good luck with your project. Many good comments on this post.
  • 10 years ago

    Here is a wonderful article on restoring mid century modern blue/aqua bathrooms.

    http://retrorenovation.com/2009/06/25/scenes-from-22-blue-midcentury-bathrooms/

    Not sure what style you are looking for. Are you? The things you are picking out are very trendy and do not go with the style you have. Hire a bathroom designer if you are having trouble. You need to find someone to help you make timeless choices.

    Stay away from big box stores. Way too trendy.

    You do realize that the craftsmanship that went into your bathroom is not easily duplicated? The flooring is the worst part of your bathroom and it is really not that bad.

    Find a cabinet maker that will make one so you can keep your vanity in the middle. I would never give up my make up space!!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I love the bathroom as is! If you don't have plumbing issues, I wouldn't try to redo it. If you dislike the vanity, consider leaving the cabinet in place and ordering new doors and drawer in a different style and possibly replace the top.

    Redoing this will cost lots and 5-10 years from now, the bathroom will again look dated. At that time, it won't be new or original just another typical bathroom from 2016. Partial facelifts on aging bathrooms are often just as successful as they are on aging celebrities. Before you go crazy remodeling this bathroom, consider the style of the rest of the house and make sure that any changes you make won't be clashing with what lies just outside the bathroom door.

  • 10 years ago

    Ok, I did some research on kitchen cabinets and realized that the one from home depot was not solid wood. Would it be better if I worked with a local Amish furniture store here in Ohio to make some custom cabinets? Or I did some google searches and found what they are labeling as "solid wood" cabinets: https://www.tradewindsimports.com/blog/10-solid-wood-bathroom-vanities-will-last-lifetime/

    I like #9. Vicoli Solid Driftwood Single Bath Vanity.

  • 10 years ago

    The cabinet box will most likely be made of plywood - and that is OK. I've never seen solid wood boxes. The cabinet front and doors should be solid wood. Kitchen cabinet makers often make bathroom vanities too, so that is also a source - just ask for the plywood boxes with solid wood cabinet fronts and doors. I am not familiar with the company of the one in the article so I can't give any recommendation. I have had good luck with local cabinetmakers and I do like the Amish made pieces I have.

  • 10 years ago

    #9 is okay, but would not go with your bathroom. You would have to do a total gut job.

    To do your bathroom for under $10K and stick in your budget you can....

    1. Replace bathroom vanity. Find a cabinet maker in your area that can make one for you.
    2. Replace doors on tub.
    3. Have floors professionally cleaned and see how the grout line clean up. You can always try to stain the grout lines. Tedious. Expensive if you do not do it your self.
    4. Replace sink top.
    5. Replace all the faucets and hardware.
    6. Replace the towels, toothbrush holders etc. with something that matches the handles.

    That's about all you will be able to do on your budget.

    Have a professional bath remodeler come to you and give you an estimate. Check with remodelers on Angies List, etc.

  • 10 years ago

    Here is a great article on budget for kitchens and bathrooms.

    http://the-affordablecompanies.com/determining-remodeling-budget-cost-vs-value/

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Keep in mind window in the shower/bathroom as a vent is all but going away if not already. A vent would be needed.
  • 10 years ago

    Oh my, I would KILL for your bathroom. The wall AND floor tiles are set in mortar. Take some time and use the search bar for "blue and white bathrooms". For less than $10k you can have a new vanity, sinks, faucets, countertop, mirrors, and lighting...and a new mix valve for the shower, new guts for the wc! You would have to spend a fortune to replicate the quality tile work you already have.


  • 10 years ago
    When you say "quality tile work" do you think that there's no mold behind the tile? The house inspector thought it was built solid and said it would costs thousands to rip out that tile and recommended against it.
  • 10 years ago

    There is no mold behind that tile!

  • 10 years ago

    Another vote for keeping your tiles, toilet and bathtub. They have a quality look. I would replace the vanity, mirror and lighting. And when shopping be aware that the big box stores are frequently much more expensive than smaller retailers. I bought my kitchen tiles from HD and my friend got a much better deal and prettier tiles at a privately owned store.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Before you get started on your design you also might want to consider replacing the hardware. We have faucets, drains, shower heads, and many other things. Take a look:

    Miramar 48 Series - Timeless Elegance · More Info


    Rincon Bay 45 Series · More Info

    Rincon Bay 45 Series - San Francisco Chic · More Info

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    So many great questions and design options....what city are you in?

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    A 10k Bathroom is possibility if you install a pre-fabricated vanity, standard shower door and have little to none plumbing done. Re glazing the tub is a good idea, but not when it comes to re glazing the tile. It's a temporary fix and chips away. My advice to you is save up a little more and get the bathroom of your dreams. Some contractors even have financing options.

  • 10 years ago
    As someone who is in the middle of a two bathroom remodel, I say wait and save and do it the way you really want when you have the money. Our guest bathroom had old tile like yours and it took 3 days to demo because of the wire that's under it. I'll attach a couple pics so you can see before and after. We did keep our cabinets and just replaced the top with granite and painted them. They were nice heavy wood and in decent shape so that worked well. I think the labor on this bath was 9k and we purchased materials (probably 5-6k). We didn't need to reroute plumbing in this bathroom so that helped with its cost. It's so worth it to get it done exactly the way you want it to be.
  • 10 years ago
    I live in Cincinnati, Ohio
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    It is tricky business keeping within a limiting budget. I would reconsider the final number and reduce the areas of renovation. Keeping the original wall tile will help maintain the budget. Replace the vanity, mirrors, sink, faucet and lighting. Leave the existing flooring intact, level with cement board and lay new tile. You can achieve the darker tones in the floor and vanity, while the walls remain blue, and white accents are seen in new sinks, countertop, toilet and refinished tub.