Software
Houzz Logo Print
dyhgarden

What do you think of RH grey card?

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

Restoration Hardware wants $100/year for their membership! You'd get 25% off all the time, etc. This isn't a credit card, it's a reward membership,

First, they want you to pay to get a sale. Then, they're basically implying, by offering 25% off all the time, how they've marked up their prices (which we all knew, but I have a few pieces that I bought during sales).

I think this is a bad deal unless you want to buy a number of things in one year -- that you've fallen in love with. I wonder how the fine print reads--if you could buy it for only one year, then quit.

What do you think?

Comments (29)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I was on their website yesterday and discovered their "member" pricing, which I found offensive. I wondered when that had happened. I tend to avoid doing any business with companies which such mindsets, so refuse to go to CVS, Walgreens, my local supermarkets, etc. I support stores such as Whole Foods, TJ, gas stations and others who don't engage in such tactics and aren't tracking and 'separating' customers into categories.

  • 10 years ago

    ugh! don't like 'memberships'- even costco/sams/bjs fee bothers me and prevents me from joining! (tho i'm sure i would join if i lived in an area without many shopping choices)

  • 10 years ago

    So would you get an extra 25% off sale prices too? If so, it might be worth it if you are buying several big ticket items, but in general I don't like the idea.


  • 10 years ago

    i doubt it would be an extra 25%... that would make it waaaayyy worth it-

    i think the card allows people to get sale prices any time rather than having to wait for the sale dates

  • 10 years ago

    Extra 10% off sales.

    What they don't offer is free shipping. Their shipping charges are outrageous.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Too late, I already gave RH a red card. they all outa heeere.

    Casey

  • 10 years ago

    I protected my lawsuit-generated 33% off coupon through a chaotic remodel that included a number of large furniture purchases...what a great coupon!


    It expired two days ago. I couldn't find anything to buy. But right before it did, I visited their web site to see if by some miracle they had anything and saw the grey card ad. Riiiight.

  • 10 years ago

    I guess if I liked their products enough, I would consider the financial benefit and join if it made sense.

  • 10 years ago

    A poor policy change that I find alienating. I can't imagine it will be successful - RH has a limited customer base and limited locations.

  • 10 years ago

    Really do not think that this membership would be worthwhile for me, then again I am not an RH fan at all the last few years. Recently received their outdoor catalog, the furniture was quite disappointing. Probably would only join RH if I would save enough on the purchase to cover more than the membership cost - therefore making it profitable, but first I would have to see something I would want to buy.

  • 10 years ago

    I bought a beautiful bedroom and some living room furniture last year. Honestly their furniture is more beautiful in person and the sales throughout the year were awesome. I visited the other big names (pottery, crate and barrel, zgalll, and a bunch of private name companies) in Orange County, CA and found the quality and style not up to par with RH. There prices were way more especially shipping you have to realize the $199 shipping and set up is for unlimited pieces. Pottery barn charges from 50 to 150 for each piece and some are things you can easily pick up yourself if they were in the store like a chair...there quality is also way lower than RH although they have great decor. I did not however like seeing this membership either. I hope they still have the wonderful sales and maybe the card could be for people with one time purchases of tens of thousands who don't want to bother waiting for a sale.

  • 10 years ago

    I purchased bathroom light fixtures, a demilune marble top bath vanity (Odeon), counter stools and a bed from RH after comparison shopping and buying only during a friends and family sale on top of a sale. A membership last year during my renovations would have helped only slightly over the prices I paid.

    In the past, I've had my bath vanities custom made, but I wanted a demilune shape and that ran up the price of custom beyond what I paid at RH. That said, I miss not having Blu motion glides on the drawers like the ones in my custom cabinet kitchen. The RH vanity included the sink and Italian marble top, otherwise I wouldn't have purchased from them.

    RH doesn't seem to change the look over the years. Much of the upholstered furniture is oversized for "average" room sizes. That's why I don't see how a membership is doing much unless you want the "bought it all at RH" look and have the space. The other thing, in my local store, you can't see/touch/sit on much of what they carry because it's not on display, making an online purchase too risky.

  • 10 years ago

    Ha, I thought this was going to be about a RH paint color called "grey card"!

    I agree that it is ridiculous. At the same time, I try to hate RH but I just can't. I guess I have mixed feelings. I have great lighting (both hardwired sconces and floor/table lamps), night stands, and a few others items from RH that I really love. OTOH, when I walked into the Boston store soon after it opened, I had to leave before I got halfway thru the first floor. It just felt...creepy.

  • 10 years ago

    I unfortunately had to fall victim to this membership. I wanted the Bistro pulls for our kitchen remodel that was in the final stages. When I found the pulls they were on sale and were every time I looked at them. Then I went to order and they were full price... I kept waiting for a sale but none were happening. So in order to get them at a discount, I had to join. :(

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Unfortunately, the RH Grey Card is a bit of a scam. I have been looking to furnish my basement gameroom/wine sitting room for the last 6 months but have not pulled the trigger. I had made up a spreadsheet of everything I wanted 6 months ago with the pricing on those items at the time. Now, interestingly, you have to get the RH Grey Card to get those prices from 6 months ago. Looks like RH increased the price of everything by 25% so it would seem that you were saving that much. So, we are not saving ANYTHING - we are just handing over $100 in addition to the original prices.

  • 10 years ago

    I don't like it. I feel its condescending to ask for this fee to get a discount! No thanks, I will take my business elsewhere. That's too bad as I have a RH Visa card.. Only place I would consider is the outlet that everyone can get a discount sale without a humiliating charge to you.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I don't like it one bit. It is pretentious to me. $100.00 is a lot for the occasional shopper.

    RH is not Costco. You can only buy so much from RH. RH prices are over-priced to begin with. Tricking customers to pay $100.00 under the guise of a sale (less mark up) is just not cool. Plus their shipping charges are outrageous. I really want to buy a floor lamp from RH but will look elsewhere.

  • 10 years ago

    We have a lot of furniture from them and when I saw this on their website it rubbed me the wrong way. I did what I usually do with companies that irk me and I wrote to them. They sent me a 100 dollar gift card that I can use toward the membership or something else. The move still irks me though and hope they have to stop it.


  • 10 years ago

    I agree, we used are coupons worth about $400 to buy one more item and are done with RH. The Grey Card is exactly what everyone else says.

  • 10 years ago

    I agree that rh quality exists mainly in their own minds. The scale is weird and the grey cast to their color pallets is like a corpse. But that card? Forget it. It's patronizing! Love the drapery hardware and velvet though / I'm glad I am almost done with my windows before they did this card thing. Now it's eBay any chance I get to find the rat. I wish someone would tell who makes their estate hardware?

  • 10 years ago

    When I visit an RH store, I would love to fall in love with something. Several years ago, their furniture seemed so much more appealing. But now, the drabness of every single thing in the store reminds me of dirty fog. I don't understand why that store continues to exist. However, a certain class of rich folks want to feel that they belong to an special, exclusive club so this sort of thing is probably right up their alley. What a joke!

  • 10 years ago

    It's a rip off. They marked up everything in their store by 25% then offer a 25% discount to those who purchase their membership card. I bought a bookcase from RH Baby and Child in 2014. I wouldn't have but I couldn't find anything I liked anywhere else and it was practically perfect though overpriced. It was $749 back in 2014 before there was a Grey Card. It went on sale for $649 so I bought it because that was the best I was ever going to do. I am pregnant with my second and decided I wanted to purchase the same bookcase for my next child. I now see that the exact same bookcase is $999 and $749 for members. In order to get the $749 I'm going to have to pay the $100 membership fee. I feel so ripped off that I've decided not to purchase it after all. It was already overpriced and now I'm going to have to pay $200 more for it if you consider the membership fee and no sale. I'm very disappointed since I truly love the bookcase.

  • 9 years ago

    While I loved their sales as much as anyone, it's clear RH is pushing more upscale and trying to rid itself of the discounting cycle that began in the recession - but is now hurting their image and bottom line. This is an interesting move from the retailer. Do the math - If you are buying anything over $400 then the 25% discount would mean the card pays for itself. That $2000 French cabinet you've been eyeing? It's now $1500. Pay $100 for the card and you're still $400 ahead. Keep the card for a year then cancel it before renewal. If you're here in the comments section hating on the brand, you are probably not in their target market anyway.

  • 9 years ago

    I have bought a lot of pieces from RH for many years. I still really like all of them for their classic style. BUT, I am not drawn into their new enormous stores. Although beautiful like a museum, not inspiring for my home furnishing. And I am so underwhelmed by their source books. Page after page of feeling like you are looking at the same room. RH modern is just to expensive and scale of pieces is too large. Styles have changed to more color and pattern. I would like to incorporate that with my RH classic pieces. Not going to find much color or pattern at RH. So, I haven't spent the 100.00 for a membership. I think good point, it's not a Costco membership where you consistently shop there. There was a 400.00 side chair at RH I wanted to purchase and didn't because one, had to buy 100.00 membership to get price and two, there was 199.00 to ship it. Silliness!! At some point, I will likely buy a membership. There is a large piece I want. I really hope they get things in order in their house and stay in business!! The company is in trouble and is certainly looking at what to do now.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    It downgrades their store in my opinion. I have four sets of sheets and a lot of towels from RH. Their furniture style doesnt really fit my house, but I used to go in there to browse to see if I could find something that would work.

    Since they issued the card, I have not been back and I have no desire to return. I used to browse their website, but I dont even do that anymore. I"m not interested in being a "member"in any way and to be honest, I forgot they even existed until I saw this thread. I have completely crossed them off as a potential site to purchase items since the card was issued.


    Here is a wsj article:

    https://www.wsj.com/articles/restoration-hardware-hit-by-business-model-changes-1481236713

  • 9 years ago

    Maybe this is where that extra 25% is being used. The store opened a few months ago in one of Austin's upscale malls, with other high end retail shops/restaurants. Haven't been inside, but while driving by one night after dinner I thought it was a hotel. Although the picture has it looking pretty spectacular, it's even moreso IRL. Needless to say I haven't been inside.


    https://www.google.com/search?q=restoration+hardware+austin&oq=restoration+&aqs=chrome.2.0j69i57j0l2j69i61l2.8112j0j4&client=tablet-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#fid=0x8644cc6d5cdb5d65:0x29adc74627543224&fpstate=luuv&imagekey=!1e1!2shttp://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/img/photos/2016/08/09/50/cc/RH-Austin-Rendering.jpg&viewerState=ga&xxri=25

  • 8 years ago
    I purchased the membership for one year with a phone order only to find they charged my credit card automatically this year with no email notification. What a scam!
  • 8 years ago

    I used to love RH and dream of owning many of their furniture pieces. I felt lucky to get a gorgeous cherry bed from them on sale years ago. Since that time, they have dramatically changed their style to this washed out, worn out, rough look that just doesn't suit me. When I saw this "member pricing" BS I was pissed. They were already over-charging for everything and now they've tacked on an additional 25% to everything to scam people into paying $100 up front to join a stupid club. No thanks. How about bringing back some of the quality and style they used to have and dropping this stupid scam? That might encourage me to shop with them again.