Shop Products
parker25mv

hybrid between quince and apple

This picture was taken from a Czech site, from a breeding research program, with the title "Cydomalus" and caption "Malus domestica x Cydonia oblonga ".

_

"Slightly more than 50% of the F2 seedlings were found to be
allotriploids (3x = 2n = 51), the rest were found to be tetraploids (4x = 2n =
68). Most of the allotriploids resembled quince morphologically. All these
plants formed only single-flowered inflorescences and set mostly seedless
quince-type fruits. About 15% of the allotriploids displayed apple-like
characters and had seedless fruit with intermediate taste. Inflorescences of
this group had up to five flowers, but the majority had two to three flowers.
All allotriploids produced slightly viable pollen. Allotetraploid (4x = 2n =
68) hybrids position is intermediate between the diploids and triploids. It
mainly consists of large pollen grains of probably diploid (2x = 34) genotype.
The other part of pollen is smaller in size, maybe haploid (x = 17), but very
small sterile grains also occurred. Germination percentage […] was close to
50%. Fruits were flat-rounded, yellow with dense pulp, containing normally
developed seeds (up to 25), most which germinated well. "

The paper went on to say that for the F3 generation has been
grown on its own roots but after 10 years of age they had not produced fruits.
Not surprising, since genetic incompatibilities can often not show up until the
third generation.

The paper gives a description of an apple-like triploid
hybrid: “Fruits ripen at the end of June to July. The fruit weight varies from
120 to 320 g. Skin colour is yellow, sometimes a little pink on the sunny side.
Flesh is yellowish, juicy, sour-sweet”

"Genotypic variation in apple × quince progenies", I.S. Rudenko and I.I. Rudenko. Progress in Temperate Fruit Breeding, Volume 1 of the series Developments in Plant Breeding, pp 229-233

_

For information about hybrids between quince and pear, which seem to have a closer affinity to one another, see the thread: Any Pear or Apple varieties with an aroma like Quince?

I suspect there might be a possibility that the quince variety known as "Karp's sweet" might actually have resulted from a chance pollination of a quince tree by apple pollen, without anyone realizing it. This quince variety is known as "apple quince" in the Majes Valley of southern Peru where it originated.

• 8 years ago

Oh, and in case you're wondering...

In the 1980’s Max Zwintzscher was the first to report
    obtaining a fertile F2 plant from an F1 hybrid between Malus domestica and
    Pyrus communis. This was seen as a big breakthrough.

I might be wrong here, but from all the research I have been reading I seem to get the impression it is easier to hybridize pear or apple with quince than pear and apple together directly.

_

And now I'm going on a wild flight of speculation, but I have a hypothesis this might be how the rare pear variety 'Nurun Burun' was bred; first an Asian pear got pollinated by quince, and then the resulting hybrid was later crossed with regular pear (Pyrus communis). This indirect breeding path may have allowed the aromatic quince genes to be more easily introduced into the European pear stock. 'Nurun Burun' can be found in Azerbaijan so it would have been easy for growers there to get their hands on Asian pears from China hundreds of years ago from traders travelling the Silk Road.

• 8 years ago

When pear and quince were able to be successfully crossbred by the nurseryman Louis Boisbunel in the Rouen region of France, the resulting pear variety (which was named Passé Crassane) ended up having skin that was russeted.

I am wondering whether there is any possibility Russet Apples may have had some quince ancestor. Despite the less than perfect appearance of the skin, Russet apples are supposed to be very flavorful.

Again, the pollen from a quince tree could have just ended up being carried by a bee that landed on the blossom of an apple tree, and nobody would have known. Then the resulting hybrid apple got bred back with other apple varieties.

• 8 years ago

That's interesting

I'm wondering of Crossing the Japanese Quince Chaenomeles japonica with something ............... A lot of what I've read mention Apple, and quince not to be graft compatible.

I like how the japanese Quince can grow a meter OR LESS \

(my neighbor has ) A 6 inch plant with a few fruits fits well in certain places.

• 7 years ago

Another documented pear-quince hybrid is "Pyronia veitchii", which can be mail ordered from some nurseries. There are even different established cultivars of this intergeneric species, like 'Luxemburgiana'. There's plenty of pictures on the internet.

Pyronia veitchii resulted from a cross between the pear 'Bergamotte Esperen' (seed-parent) and the Portugal quince (pollinator).

(the cross was made in 1895 by hybridiser John Seden, who was employed by the Veitch family who ran the famous nursery in England that bears their name)

• last year

Where do you get graftigs I would like some

Cellko Construction Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Licensed General Contractor Serving Loudoun County