Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barrysag

Andersen E Series vs. Integrity by Marvin

barrysag
8 years ago

We are doing a cottage/craftsman style whole house remodel in San Diego a few blocks from the beach and I am trying to decide between Andersen E Series windows and Integrity by Marvin, both with pine interior. Of course, in San Diego our climate is pretty mild, although the front of our house does face west, so we get a lot of afternoon sun/heat in the summer. We steered away from Jeld Wen Siteline because I am concerned that the paint on the aluminum exterior won't hold up well in the sun and salt air. I was all set to purchase Integrity windows when we were offered the Andersen E Series for about the same price as the Integrity windows. My understanding is that the E Series typically sells for significantly more that the Integrity windows, so this sounds like a good deal. On the E Series side, I like the thicker wood you seem to get with an aluminum clad product (rather than the more veneer-like strips that come on the fiberglass products) and since it has the kynar finish, it should hold up pretty well over the years (although reading some of the posts on this forum, it seems that not all kynar finishes are equivalent). On the Integrity side, fiberglass seems like a really durable and good looking material and it matches the other Marvin products so you can substitute Marvin Ultimate aluminum clad products in key places (like the Marvin aluminum clad French doors, which in my opinion look a lot better than Integrity doors and a little bit better than the E Series E doors), although adding Marvin items greatly increases the overall price. They both seem to use the same 366 glass.

So, if the E Series and Integrity are priced equally, any thoughts on which is the better value? Is the E Series clearly the better product? Any other thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    8 years ago

I would prefer, if it were me, to have a non-clad exterior in a coastal environment.

• barrysag
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks WoW, so that would be the Integrity over the E Series (or other aluminum clad window)?

• PRO
    8 years ago

In that comparison, yes. Historically, fiberglass (i.e. boat hulls) have done better in coastal environments than have metal ones.

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    8 years ago

+1. I'd probably choose the Integrity. The E series is formerly Eagle windows, so you can search feedback on that as well.

barrysag thanked HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
  • barrysag
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I didn't find a ton of direct Eagle feedback, but Andersen labels the E series as one of their premium lines (along with the A-series and weiland). I do see a lot of positive reviews of Integrity on this forum.

• PRO
    8 years ago

The Eagle Series is a nice unit. I would just opt from the less complex window with the less moisture and salt sensitive exterior.

• PRO
    Andersen Windows + Doors
    8 years ago

It's great that you're taking the time to do your research before this important purchase! E-Series is a very high performance window that offers many size & color options. From what you mentioned, you may want to consider our 400 Series windows too. Let us know if you have any questions!

• fridge2020
    8 years ago

Finally some objective advice!!!

• mnykamp
    7 years ago

We just purchased a home on Lake Michigan...dozens of Eagle (Andersen E) double hung windows, and truly all failed/failing...concave glass, rotted wood on sashes, condensation. Little metal glass-holders popping and the dog trying to eat those. This is 45 or so windows. I called Andersen to at least see if we could get some sort of replacement discount to offset some of this, and didn't get anywhere with them. A contractor told me that they had problems with them. Maybe their manufacturing problems on the Eagle windows are ironed out, but their customer service policies are...not. FYI.

• barrysag
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    We ended up going with the Integrity windows. I am happy with the look and quality of the windows (with the exception of the locking lever on casements, which has a cheap plastic cover rather than being solid metal). Two cautionary points: they delivered very late (like 50-75% longer than quoted) and I had to make some compromises to fit within Integrity's limited size options (had to use two awnings over a set of French doors because they couldn't make a single one wide enough). I suppose the late delivery could have also happened with the E-series, but my understanding is that the E-series has extensive size options. As for the durability I'll need to wait and see, but on balance I am happy with my choice.
  • PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    7 years ago

Mnykamp, how old are your windows? That would have a pretty profound effect on whether the service that you are receiving is good or bad. I'd suggest that a discount on replacements when you were not the original purchaser anyway might be a questionable request, but if these units are only 5 years old or something like that, you may be justified in expecting better service. If say they are 25 years old, not as much.

• mariaf924
    6 years ago

Barrysag: I am strongly considering putting Marvin Integrity in my new construction but don't know anyone personally whose actually used them before. It seems like you've had yours since February, any feedback or advice on them? Andersen A Series is another option (now I'm hearing a lot about the E Series). I also just discovered Pella Impervia. Any guidance is much appreciated!

• barrysag
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Maria,
    Sorry for the delayed response. I’m still happy with the integrity windows. I don’t have any additional comments at this point beyond what I those I posted previously.
  • Lorenzo Fernandez Jr.
    3 years ago

Anderson E-series are horrible having massive production delays. Also quality control issues with their fit and finish, their hardware failures and pitting and tarnishing. Go elsewhere!