Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beenzmail

Utrusta (Ikea version of Servo-drive) question

beenzmail
8 years ago

How is it installed so that there's enough room to 'nudge' the cabinet in, to trigger the Servo Drive mechanism? My cabinets are all soft close and have partial overlay. Right now the door sit flush against the cabinet box when closed and can't be 'pushed in'. I have the rev a shelf trash insert. Thanks!!

Comments (23)

• CJ M
    8 years ago

I'm not sure I understand your question. However, Ikea has a very forgiving return policy. So, You could try it and then return it if it doesn't work. Second, all of Ikea's cabinets are frameless, with the door being a "full overlay." I think that the servo-drive takes the place of the "soft close" hinge attachment in the Ikea kitchens. On the ikea cabs this are snap on attachments to the hinge, so I think you'd take them off if you can. The servodrive thing attaches to the back few inches of the drawer rails. I think it is fairly adjustable as to where it catches/stops. Does that help?

beenzmail thanked CJ M
  • Tmnca
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It doesn't get pushed in more than a tiny tiny amount.... my Ikea drawer for the pullout overlaps the frame too (don't all drawer fronts?) I can't feel the drawer "push in" to activate so it must need only a tiny amount of motion, the arm on the opener contacts the back of the drawer.. it works great.

I don't know if CJ M has a different version of the product, but ours installed on the bottom of the cabinet and contacts the back of the drawer, has nothing to do with the glides.

Photo of our install:

beenzmail thanked Tmnca
  • DIY2Much2Do
    8 years ago

There are small, spring-loaded spacers that attach to the front edge of the cabinet. These will space the door about 1/16" off the cabinet edge, allowing you to nudge the cabinet door inward as you describe. See step 2 of the linked installation instructions from the IKEA website.

IKEA Utrusta Assembly Instructions

I have the Blum Servo-Drive version which also has these small spring spacers. It does set the door face out slightly, so you would need bumpers on adjacent doors to flush everything out.

beenzmail thanked DIY2Much2Do
  • beenzmail
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok, thank you so much everyone. I think we can make this work. I didn't appreciate how little it actually needs to move.

• beenzmail
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok, it's in and working mostly, but it's not quite functional. A few questions.. how do you close the trash? When I go to shut it the motor activates and it opens again. Also, if I try to open the trash with the handle it still makes the motor noise. Any ideas?

• DIY2Much2Do
    8 years ago

The motor will still operate when using the handle. That is normal and expected. As far as closing, I have soft-close drawer slides, and I just push it in like any other drawer. The drawer slide slows and draws the drawer in the last inch or so. I haven't had it reopen, so I can't help you there.

beenzmail thanked DIY2Much2Do
  • scrappy25
    8 years ago

Hi beenzmail, I got your reply pm just now but thought I would answer here. Mine works well with the soft close. Maybe they should try putting it back on to see if that works? The soft close pulls it in just right.

beenzmail thanked scrappy25
  • beenzmail
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks. We'll probably try, but both the builder and contractor said it is too powerful and the servo will not open the door with it there. http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/p-371-double-bottom-mount-rev-a-motion-wood-waste-containers.aspx https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwnoAloIliY

I believe this is what I have.

• beenzmail
    Original Author
    8 years ago

DIY and Scrappy, can you tell me what trash system you have?

• Honu3421
    8 years ago

Hi Beenzmail: I don't know if this will help you, but we initially had a revashelf soft close trash bin. I switched it out for a blum servo drive (love. LOVE.) We had to switch out the entire trash system to a revashelf model that was compatible with the servo drive. As I understand, not all trash pull outs are compatible with the servo drive. Anyway DH installed it and it works fine. Gentle press with knee to open and gentle push with knee to close. If you are having trouble, go to your local revashelf distributor and ask for help. Ours was very helpful in providing the necessary parts and making sure we were satisfied.

• DIY2Much2Do
    8 years ago

My pullout was made by Barker Cabinets. They make the pullout themselves, so it's not an off the shelf system. It's really just a deep drawer with a lid cutout for the two bins. It uses the same Blum Blumotion Tandem undermount drawer slides as all their other drawers, which have the soft close mechanism. They use the Blum Servodrive for the opener.

Barker Pull-Out Trash Cabinet

• beenzmail
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Honu, I e-mailed Revashelf and they just told me I had to buy the system that comes with the drive. Not very helpful. So you bought the two things separately? I'll see if I can get some help locally. I wrote to Blum too. Maybe they have an idea.

• DIY2Much2Do
    8 years ago

I got mine with the cabinets, but Barker also sells their Pull-Out trash system separately. They are helpful with email questions.

Barker Trash Unit Only

• Honu3421
    8 years ago

I am pretty sure this is the trash pull out we have:

http://www.kitchensource.com/trash/rv-4wcsd-1835dm-2.htm. 

The price shown is for the whole system. Yes, I was able to purchase separately from the distributor......maybe that option is not available from a local dealer. I actually tried purchasing from a local dealer and they weren't able to figure out how to order what I needed (!!?). That is how I ended up going to McKillican American for my purchase. After we determined we needed a different pull out I went back for the pullout and glide mechanism.

This is what I learned: the glide mechanism was the important piece of the puzzle for us. The bottom of each different rev a shelf pullout is routed out for installation of the specific glides required be it soft close or servo drive, etc. Everything comes fitted out for the specific use. Believe me, DH and I tried everything before going back for the second part (the pull out).

After reading DIY's comments, I took a look at our glides and yes, they look similar to the Blum glides on our other drawers. DIY's cabinet maker must have routed the box to accommodate the glides. We had to purchase a new box.

To find your local rev a shelf distributor go to the Rev a Shelf website and click on find an authorized dealer - be sure to click the box "Distributors - US."

http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/rev-pages/find-dealer.aspx

I'm sorry I don't know how to insert a working link. Maybe you can copy and paste. I hope this all makes sense. And good luck. It's a process, but worth it in the end.

beenzmail thanked Honu3421
  • scrappy25
    8 years ago

Hi beenzmail, I had custom cabinets and the cabinetmakers installed the servodrive- not much help for you, sorry! The trash box essentially a wooden drawer with full height door.

beenzmail thanked scrappy25
  • beenzmail
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Honu, can you please try your first link again? It's not working for me. Thanks.

• DIY2Much2Do
    8 years ago

Honu, I hope you don't mind, but I fixed the link for you. It had an extra period at the end. Good luck beenzmail.

Rev-A-Shelf Electric Assist Waste Containers

• Honu3421
    8 years ago

The link just takes you to the home page. ugh. Try going to kitchen source and doing a search for 4wcsd. That should take you to the page for all the servo drive trash bin options. Here is the photo of the bin I have. It comes with two trash cans and one lid.

• Honu3421
    8 years ago

I just saw DIY's post. Thank you for jumping in to help. That's a much better link. I had my reply on my phone all night and just hit submit without checking for updates.

• beenzmail
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok. I understand now. You have both pieces but purchased them separately. That's what I want to do. Hopefully I can get someone to help. The closest distributor is quite far. Maybe I'll give them a call. Thanks.

• Honu3421
    8 years ago

Beenzmail, the only other thing I might suggest is to tell the distributor your dilemma and ask him to point you to a dealer in your area who could be of help. Sometimes it's the custom cabinet guys who have the relationship with the distributor. So don't be hesitant to go that route. Our cabinet guy passed away suddenly and unexpectedly (it was a tragedy for our building community as well as a personal tragedy for his family). The distributor was doing everything he could to help cabinet guy's clients. He was well loved by everyone. Fortunately for us, our cabinets were finished and installed with only a few minor issues to resolve. Again, best of luck.

beenzmail thanked Honu3421
  • Sandy Wu
    last year

Hello i know this is an old post but any of you hav issue with the servo drive? IKEA one is about 1/2 of Blum.. is Blum worth the money?