Software
Houzz Logo Print
debhpgh

Color choice???

10 years ago

Uploading a photo for a color consult -- need a paint color for the walls of a guest BR in a room that does not get a lot of sun -- the couch is a mustard yellow (more yellow than this photo expresses) and looks dull. I would like a color on the wall to brighten things up. Have already painted two shades of green, one of which is a spring green-yellow, that I thought would work, but no. Any suggestions???

Comments (14)

  • 10 years ago

    yes, white trim. When I bought the couch, I was thinking that it is a neutral color, but that may not be the case...actually I was starting to think that white was my only choice. Thx for the input!!

  • 10 years ago
    How do you feel about the floor color? Does it feel right with the couch..if you match the floor and walls that may push the couch into the accent color category...and using a little of the same color elsewhere....such as curtains or art can also make it look more right....with out a really accurate color portrayal it isn't possible to be the specific in color suggestions
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    batik indigo from Sherwin Williams would be really nice up against the mustard yellow sofa, keep the flooring the light oak and your trim white.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    If you'd like to brighten it up I'd do the color @patriciarhall suggested or a very pale grey. Then, warm up with accents of deep blue/navy to play against the yellow couch. Add a rug to break up the incompatible floor stain against the couch color. Bring in texture with baskets and neutral throw blankets and drum lamp shades. Use a lot of woods in your furniture pieces like side tables, etc.

    (lots of deep blues and natural accents)

    Transitional Porch · More Info

    (more of a modern feel but they have a good color palette to emulate)

    The home of Aafke · More Info

    (here's with red instead of blue)

    Naomi Astley Clarke Portfolio · More Info

    Hope this helps!

  • 10 years ago

    ritaskj -- I do like the flooring - it is new maple hardwood and has a light 'honey' cast. Never thought of 'matching' the wall color, but that is worth some thought...

  • 10 years ago

    Glo -- how is it that the floor is incompatible with the couch -- not a good contrast??

  • 10 years ago

    Katherine, thx for your comment. Sounds like i'm off to SW for some paint swatches!

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Hi debhpgh,

    I like the suggestion up top of Navajo white.

    As I always say an artwork well chosen will accent a room.

    A sample of what I have here on Houzz.

    "Blend 16 van Gogh" Giclee Print · More Info

    "Sphere 4 Renoir" Giclee Print · More Info

    "Blend 17 van Gogh" Giclee Print · More Info

    Cheers, Dave

  • 10 years ago

    How about a orange shade, like a sunburst or tangerine. That would brighten the room up.

  • 10 years ago

    Dave, I just happen to love Van Gogh!

  • 10 years ago

    Kelcie, that would keep things warm, which is what I want. Will have to tape up some of the paint chips in the tangerine line. One of my hundreds of paint chips....:)

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Don't get me wrong --I LOVE the floors! The couch and floor seem to wash each other out with no visual break between the two. I think a simple rug would go a long way to making the room feel more cohesive.

  • 10 years ago

    oh, ok that's what I thought about not enough contrast between the two. I do like the suggestion abt adding a rug. Since it is a spare BR where the door is usually closed, I might be safe with a rug in that room as I have two cats, one of which likes to spit up!!!!!!