Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just2hip

What about this coffer?

Cindi Keller
8 years ago

Putting the finishing touches on my dining room. I need to step back and get a second opinion about the coffer over the dining room table. The ceiling has a large expanse. Do you think I should paint the interior of the coffer? If so, one or two shades darker, or

do you envision a different treatment or leave it alone?

Thank you Houzz Community!

Comments (39)

• mmilos
    8 years ago

Paint it a couple shades darker.

Or, silver leaf it (wallpaper) for a burnished/modern effect.

Nice fireplace, BTW.

Cindi Keller thanked mmilos
  • PRO
    Design Directives, LLC
    8 years ago

You could paint it a little darker, or apply a nice fauz finish, may be with a little metallic to give some relfectivity.

Cindi Keller thanked Design Directives, LLC
  • Cindi Keller
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I like the metallic reflectivity idea. Might you suggest a paint manufacturer that you love?

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    8 years ago

I would add some molding detail, the molding you have there now it looks lost in there.

With 8' ceilings I would leave the paint same color...Wider crown with beaded ceiling detail would really bring that out, different color paint will make it look dull.

Good luck

Cindi Keller thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • PRO
    Houston Custom Carpets Flooring & Remodeling
    8 years ago

I have painted several areas like this lately in a soft sky blue. It seems to be very refreshing. I don't seem to like darker over my head.

Cindi Keller thanked Houston Custom Carpets Flooring & Remodeling
  • Cindi Keller
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank for your thoughtful suggestions. There is up lighting in the coffer so we probably won't add crown moulding. Could be I'm not understanding your direction?

Yes, if I go too dark it will bring the ceiling down. Don't want to do that. I have painted the interior of coffers one shade lighter with a slight sheen where the wall and ceiling were different. In this case the walls and ceiling are the same color. I think that is what I may be feeling, just want something a tad contrasting?

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    8 years ago

I was thinking something like this, just to give you a visual.

• Suzi Hanks
    8 years ago
    Trim with wood.
    Cindi Keller thanked Suzi Hanks
  • Cindi Keller
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the visual. The detail is lovely.

• Cindi Keller
    Original Author
    8 years ago

And taking the time to render, fabulous! Thank you.

• doctornancy
    8 years ago

Do you have a dark accent wall color behind that chair adjacent to the brick? A dark gray? If so, painting the coffer that same color would tie the dining area with the rest of the room and would create drama, especially with the up-lighting Contrary to most people's belief, a very dark ceiling will recede, seem higher, similar to when you look into a dark sky that appears to go forever.

Cindi Keller thanked doctornancy
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    I would paint it lovely blue/ green. Then add a glaze over that made with interference gold ( an acrylic paint) mixed with a water based glaze BM. The IG is not a color but a mica product. It shimmers when light hits it and creates a beautiful glow. It looks lovely even when the chandelier is off. You can apply the paint with a brush in a cross cross pattern, randomly to give it interest. I usually thin the glaze with water by at one third water to glaze. The IG goes a long way, the more you use , the flashier it will be!
    Cindi Keller thanked lynartist
  • Cindi Keller
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The accent wall is natural grass cloth with upholstery nails. Could be lovely. Thank you.

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    I forgot to mention that it will not effect the color underneath so much accept when the light hits it . You can control how subtle this affect can be by how much IG you add to the glaze so make a sample.
  • Cindi Keller
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lynartist, thank you for the painting technique. We have a BM dealer very close.

• Cindi Keller
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So many options, love it.

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Your welcome Cindi. I have done this many times and it is magical. Just be sure to use a large brush and cross hatch over the surface . Don't try to roll it like paint.
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    And don't worry if it doesn't look like anything at first. The magic happens after it dries! The glaze stays open for a while so be patient. After the first coat dries and if you missed a few spots very gently add more.
  • doctornancy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

lynartist - I'd like to use your technique on my entry ceiling. Do I just add the interference gold to a glaze and paint that directly onto my ceiling? No other pigment needed? What ratio of gold to glaze? My accents are all silver - is there an equivalent silver product or does it make no difference?

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Doctornancy, as this is a very sheer look it is most beautiful when a color underneath is used first. There are pearlescent acrylics that can also be used but I have found the interference gold to be the most luminous. It is best to make a sample but half a small jar is more than enough. The glaze will be runny. If you have a lot of silver you can try a soft grey with the glaze. You don't need a lot of glaze BTW. It goes a long way!
  • doctornancy
    8 years ago

Thanks, lynartist! I just bought some interference gold on Amazon. I'll do a test run on a sample drywall board.

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Good luck. You can buy it at any craft store such as Michaels though!
  • leelee
    8 years ago

Usually I think it's best though to leave the ceiling alone. You have such a well done home--don't over do it.

Great art!

Cindi Keller thanked leelee
  • leelee
    8 years ago

If you do anything at all make it subtle.

Cindi Keller thanked leelee
  • Cindi Keller
    Original Author
    8 years ago

leelee - That is what I am somewhat afraid of, overdoing it. Something that has a bit of soft reflection may do the trick, such as a glaze. Thank you.

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    8 years ago

Don't be afraid to do Lyn's idea. Dining rooms should have at least a little bit of drama, preferably alot.

Cindi Keller thanked Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    This is what it looks like when dry. One side is just paint; the other glazed. One is close up. It is very subtle, looks like silk. The recipe I gave was for a small amount of glaze, you would of course make more!
    8 years ago

Glaze for hot cross buns just involves castor sugar , water, and a pastry brush.

• doctornancy
    8 years ago

lynartist - do you live in Denver perchance? You could just come over to my house and do my ceiling for me! BTW, is this going to be really drippy since I'm painting my ceiling or should I just use less water?

Cindi Keller thanked doctornancy
  • Cindi Keller
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Amazing to see the sample and finished product, thank you!

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Doctornancy, I'm in Fla. just put down some protection! Do small sections at a time and use a large , natural fiber brush. Do not over load it and you should do just fine. This is not a difficult finish to do. The glaze is very forgiving in that it dries slowly so you can work across the area in sections. Try to do the whole thing once you start though! No lunch break in the middle;)
  • tatts
    8 years ago

I agreed with the suggestion of leaf--gold or aluminum, depending on the rest of your room. That will give spectacular reflected light when you use the dining room. It's not expensive for an area that size, and looks great.

Cindi Keller thanked tatts
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Leafing is a beautiful look; absolutely. It is much easier to just get it in wallpaper form though when doing a ceiling and comes in many different metal colors. Very pricey though. My days of leafing ceilings are over! Here are some examples I found.
  • texasboykin
    8 years ago
    A soft copper color would look nice also. Love your room!
    Cindi Keller thanked texasboykin
  • Cindi Keller
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Everyone has been absolutely amazing and beyond helpful. Thank you!

8 years ago

What a nice OP you are.

• texasboykin
    8 years ago
    That recipe sounds so fun Lynartist! I can't wait to try it. I have a small powder room calling it's name.
  • doctornancy
    8 years ago

lynartist - Fla - bummer for me! Can we swap emails? Don't know how to find that info on Houzz. Mine is nancy.reese@hotmail.com. (Cindi, I apologize for using your thread to solve my own design question.)