Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
youngsy

Sad & Ugly Laundry Room

Dawn Y
8 years ago
This almost too embarrassing to post but I am at a stand still with what to do with my laundry room. Unfortunately it is 1 way to enter and leave our home and many times people enter here versus the main entry:(. My original thought was to try to get my wood floor to at least speak to my laundry floor and chose the tile I laid down here over my laminate. Then I'd paint the oak cabinets a warm grey that I pulled from the tile. Washer and dryer,sink all stay white. Then I read Maria Killam's blogs and feel like I've got it all wrong. I really need help here.

Comments (243)

• Dawn Y
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi!! Just got the tile and the wallpaper. Timing is not great as it is warming up here in Wisconsin and we have sooo much to do outside. We are getting quotes to have the wallpaper hung. My hubby will be doing the flooring. I hope in the next few weekends to get the washer and dryer moved out, the cabinets out, the walks patched, sanded and primed for the wallpaper hanger. The old floor ripped out and then my hubby can get the new floor down. I think the wallpaper guy can get to us in June!! Seems so far away!! But I don't do wallpaper so I'll have to wait. Thanks for checking back in. I won't forget to post some pics once completed or close to complete.
  • Dawn Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Just started today. Everything out of laundry room (founds lots of dust and a few socks:). Cabinets off walls holes patched and walls sanded. Ceiling gets painted tomorrow and walls get painted with SW draw tight. Next weekend the laminate gets removed and floor gets prepped for new tile. Will keep you posted.
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    Great Dawn! I thought you were doing the wallpaper!
  • Dawn Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I am. Just prepping the walls. The wallpaper guy comes early June!!
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    Can't wait to see it!!! Good luck and keep us posted:)
  • Dawn Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Definitely will
  • Dawn Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hello Houzz friends. I need your help. My husband is going to remove the light when he paints the ceiling. He doesn't want to put the old light back up. But I haven't chosen a light yet. I need suggestions!! My door knobs are brass (same for rest of house) Do I need to choose brass or can I go with something else? I have bronze fixture in kitchen and greatroom. Can I mix metals? Wallpaper chosen for this room below. Style and material suggestions greatly appreciated. Light must give off good light. Thank you!!
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    Hi Dawn, sure you can mix that up if you wish! Here are a couple ideas.
  • Dawn Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi. Just an update. My wallpaper is in ( hopefully hung in early June). Here is a sample of the new cabinet door and hardware. Chose stained that ties into that dark color in paper. Hardware is brushed bronze which pulls the gold from the paper. I am thinking of the light below. Semi flush mount. What do think of all?
  • partim
    7 years ago

That is going to look great!

• jemgirlca
    7 years ago

That's going to be so pretty! I can't wait to see it.

• lynartist
    7 years ago
    Looking wonderful!
  • Dawn Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oh good. Thank you!
  • User
    7 years ago

Be aware with the darker doors, you will see more soapy fingerprints than you did before. Will just need a damp cloth.

• Dawn Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The downside of a laundry room redo...having to go to the local laundromat :(. The floor is done now just waiting on my wallpaper guy and my cabinets. Hate the wait but what ya going to do.
  • KL d
    7 years ago
    I love that wallpaper, and can't wait to see it when it is up! Does it have a metallic gold in it?
  • Dawn Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Kerr yes it does have a bit of metallic in it. I can't wait either!!
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    Anxiously waiting;)
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    How's the floor Dawn?
  • Dawn Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi. The floor looks good. And we found a light both my hubby and I liked. It gives off great light and I like the way the light gives off shadows on the ceiling. What do think so far.
  • User
    7 years ago

Things are going well! Good lighting is very important in a laundry , for if stains are missed, and not treated, they can set in the heat of the dryer.

• Dawn Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    We are getting closer. The tile is in, the wallpaper is up (photos don't do it justice) and the new light us in. Waiting on the the new cabinets and floating shelving to come in. Then we can get the appliances back in. It seems like this is taking FOREVER but with the wall covering in I feel we are finally making some headway !!
  • jemgirlca
    7 years ago
    It must be getting exciting!
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    Dawn, The wallpaper is beautiful! Not sad and ugly any longer!
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    The floor is super too! Two thumbs up!!
  • Dawn Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you Lynn!!
  • Lynn Davis
    7 years ago
    That wallpaper is delightful! Glad you were brave enough to go with it. Can you take a phot of this with the floor before you put the machines back in? I want to show my husband and convince him we need this wall paper in our bedroom!
  • User
    7 years ago

Looking good!

• Dawn Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    David Kerry here are a few pics. Such a small room hard to get a good angle. Hope this helps. I totally love the wallpaper.
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    It looks perfect with the floor and your woodwork! Aren't you glad you did the whole room now;)?
  • Dawn Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Totally. And thanks to you for your encouragement:)
  • Dawn Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    And Tribble too:)
  • Pennie Heath
    7 years ago

love it!

• partim
    7 years ago

Remember me? I first suggested wallpaper way back in March. I love the one you selected - it looks great!

• Dawn Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yes!! And partim you first threw out the idea on do I really need all my cabinets too!! I decided you were right--I don't and I can't wait till the cabinet and floating shelves come in. I seriously can't thank all of you enough. I finally feel like this room is coming together thanks to this great team of houzzers!
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    Hi parting! So glad you came back to see the lovely results! You did good!
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    Partim! Darn spellcheck!
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    Hi Dawn, we haven't heard from you in awhile. I hope all is well and am just checking in with you!
  • Dawn Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi lynrist
    You have a good timing. This has really been a long project. We decided to have a stand pipe put in for the laundry....through the garage wall as the wallpaper already up. I just did my first load of laundry again in months in my own laundry room last night! Still waiting on countertop and sink for new base cabinet. And I am not sure if I want just 1 or 2 floating shelves on the wall next to my cabinet. I have 2 but think maybe just use 1. Hard to get good pic but love this room so much more now!!
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    Dawn, it looks just lovely! You did great!!!
  • Dawn Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you and thanks for your help!
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    So wonderful to see a great outcome! You have been a pleasure Dawn!
  • Dawn Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Guys here it is finally all done!! Thanks to partim, lynartist, Tribble, Ted, for your help. ( hope I didn't miss anyone) bI was definitely on the wrong path and you guys righted this project. Can't thank you enough. Before and afters.
  • Dawn Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    A few more of the final choices and my cat who approves lol!
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    Dawn! You did a splendid job!!! I'm so glad you love it and hope you enjoy it for many years in good health & happiness:) you were such a pleasure to interact with.
  • User
    7 years ago

Well done, Dawn!

• partim
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You did a great job on this. Love your choice of wallpaper - floral without being prissy. And your shelf styling is just right. It looks very warm and welcoming, I'd smile every time I walked in the room.

• oliviag55
    7 years ago

Looks wonderful!

• Dawn Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you so much!!
  • PRO
    Kitchen Magic
    5 years ago

The black cabinets add so much character. Doing laundry will be a joy instead of a chore. :)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living