Software
Houzz Logo Print
dianaquinn

Totally lost!!

13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
We just purchased a lovely 1925 Craftsman home. Unfortunately it has white vinyl siding. I can't afford to change that right now so I'm trying to come up with a color scheme that would compliment the home, and stay with the 1925 era. I don't like the blue at all, and I've just ordered a new craftsman style door. Can you help me with a color for the door, and the trim on the house with keeping the siding white? We have also just put up a cedar fence around the house. I was thinking of staining it grey.
Thanks!

Comments (42)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Do you have pictures?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I have a white home and the windows and doors were cobalt blue. I've painted them a stone grey (with a hint of brown in it) and am very pleased with the result.

    What color is the roof?
  • 13 years ago
    The roof is black. I've attached a picture.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Well you can paint the siding they make paints for vinyl and that would change color scheme. But if you don't want to do that you can do trim sage green and door can be Vienna green.
  • 13 years ago
    There's likely some awesome trim hidden under the siding around the windows and doors. Adding a bit more "bulk" around both will really help.
  • 13 years ago
    So you would add molding around the windows?
  • 13 years ago
    I would, at least temporarily. Not sure the best way to install it to prevent even MORE damage to the existing, if it wasn't removed before the vinyl was tacked on. PERHAPS a good carpenter could move the siding back...not even sure if that's a possibility. Google some pics of some craftsman style houses for ideas on trim.
  • 13 years ago
    You could go with almost any color for the trim. I would go with two shades. One for porch floor and steps and one for trim and railings. Craftman style is know for rich colors, but a lighter shade would look the best with the white. Green is a good choice. Or a blue/gray. Maybe yellow if it was the right shade.

    Congratulations on the new house!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Traditional 1930s Cottage · More Info


    You bought a cutie!
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you! I do like the blue/grey idea. What color would you paint the door?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    So are you trying to go sort of monochromatic or do you want more color?
  • 13 years ago
    I would like something with a pop of color.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    If you do greys and blues the door should totally be off the wall yellow or tangerine. How do you feel about painting the siding?
  • 13 years ago
    I live in the Pacific Northwest - painting vinyl doesn't work well here. How do you think it would look with a light and darker gray, and a eggplant purple door?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The door would look good in purple. As for the siding I do my work in the northwest. Using the correct paint and prep it will adhere and look good but if you are looking to replace it in the near future don't worry about painting it.
  • 13 years ago
    :)
  • 13 years ago
    I like the idea of a purple door, but it's not really popping with the gray, as shown in rinqreations' rendering. I wonder how it would look with a yellowish trim (instead of gray)? Or, maybe a gray-purple trim and a bright yellow door? (I don't have the software to change the picture).
  • 13 years ago
    Como descargar Houzz en Español?
    How can I Houzz in spanish?
  • 13 years ago
    Cedar fencing will naturally go grey over years as it weathers, but you can make it happen quicker by washing it with a solution of baking soda and water. Google/Pinterest that. Natural grey will look better than painted grey, IMO.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I'm a painting contractor in Seattle if you are near I can help onsite at no charge.206.351.3800
  • 13 years ago
    So you have painted vinyl siding in this area and it's actually worked? I've been told by several contractors it will buckle and peel after a period of time. I was also told if I did take the chance and paint it, the new paint color would have to be lighter than the color it is now - it's white, how can that be done??? I would love to paint it a light moss green, or a light grey.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    There is some criteria before starting how old is the siding? And the rest is prep make sure it's clean and dry and finally using vinyl safe paint I can put you in touch with my paint rep if you would like.
  • 13 years ago
    That would be great! I'm going to also ask my contractor if he can look under the vinyl and see what it looks like. Maybe its wooden shakes and they just didn't want to paint?!? Not with my luck....
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Yeah that would be great!
  • 13 years ago
    dianna, Your house is so cute! You should take a look through the ideabooks here and search about craftsman homes for paint ideas/colors. One thing you will see is the way they pick out parts of the architectual details to paint. They wouldn't just paint the entire column for instance, one color. The brick if painted, would be one, the wood of the column another, and the trim might be two colors. The trim on the porch roof should be stronger. It is all about contrasts almost. Do look at the ideabooks, I am sure you will find lots of color inspirations there.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you - I'm new to Houzz so I'm still wondering around and figuring it out - I'll take your advice!
  • 13 years ago
    Welcome! You will most likely become addicted to this site! That's what happened to me, lol.

    You do know you can save any pics that you like, right? Then you can refer back to them and see if you notice any similarities in what you save when trying to choose colors or style etc. Or just save them for your dreamhouse someday!
  • 13 years ago
    I didn't know you can save picture - I'll check that out. Thanks!
  • 13 years ago
    Keep in mind that your roof color should be brought down to your porch area in some way. Three trim colors is traditional.
  • 13 years ago
    So you think I should incorporate black in the trim colors?
  • 13 years ago
    With your dark roof you can choose from many different color schemes. What is your favorite color?
  • 13 years ago
    You could. Or you could use a combination of grays & incorporate black with some furniture, your house numbers, porch light. Then pop your door with red, yellow, purple or a blue.
  • 13 years ago
    Here are some outdoor fabric samples to maybe inspire you. They are from Joann's & Fabric Guru.
  • 13 years ago
    Some more
  • 13 years ago
    And
  • 13 years ago
    Here's one with plum.
  • 13 years ago
    I like the blue! Especially since you are working on a budget. I would add some shutters to your windows painted the blue color. They would add balance to the house. I would also add some landscaping to the house. Add plants that accent the blue color--think color wheel. I would put a love seat on the patio and paint the door a color on the opposite side of the color wheel if you want punch, if not add a complimentary color. I think once you accessorize the porch, put shutters on the window and add landscaping, you might actually like the white siding because it adds a great backdrop for plantings and accessories
  • 13 years ago
    Some more.
  • 13 years ago
    I just realized something. Your windows have been replace and do not suit the house. Traditional craftsman style windows are 3 over 1 or 6 over 1.

    I like the third image posted by rinqreation. The dark gray foundation, lighter gray posts and green trim.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Dark burgundy or oxblood goes well with blue or bluish gray
  • 13 years ago
    Be sure to let us see the results.