Software
Houzz Logo Print
leafonthewind

One Large Walk-in Closet or Two Smaller Closets

10 years ago

I have 138" wide x 68" deep closet space that was created from removing the kitchen pantry. I was thinking of two options, although additional ideas are welcome. Both options assume either pocket doors, barn doors, or out-swinging doors. I cannot make the space any wider to accommodate two full walk-in closets.

Option #1: One massive walk-in closet (226" total usable wall space, 44" extra with middle storage)

Option #2: Two closets, one 84" wide, one 48" wide (264" total usable wall space)

Comments (11)

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Can you provide a bit of a sketch so we can see how it relates to the bedroom?
    leafonthewind thanked Ellsworth Design Build
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Just remember that closets don't have to be rectangular. A section of shallow shelving on one side of a center divider wall would be more useful than a plain wall. Another idea is having two closets but each of them getting a portion of the central space.

    As always, storage works best when you know what will be stored when designing the organizers and layout. Without knowing the expected contents, I can't say which of your options would be better. Also, the personalities of the users should help guide you in this choice...do you want to share a larger space or is it just easier for two people to each have their own space?

    leafonthewind thanked Linda
  • 10 years ago

    Linda - I don't have a good feel for what would work better as we have only ever had separate reach-in closets. I just figure there will be a mix of single bar, double bar, shoe shelves, baskets/drawers, and plain shelves.




  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Have you considered having the two doors into the space, as you have shown in your second drawing, but no wall separating the spaces? Then, if you find that having a single closet does not work well for you, you can build a partition wall or use closet organizers to separate the two spaces

    leafonthewind thanked Linda
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    After reviewing the drawings, I would use two separate doors rather than a double door in the center of the space. If you space the doors apart there will be space for a piece of furniture in between them. Otherwise you may be left with awkward spaces in the room.

    The space between the doors could be narrow or wide but put each door the same distance from the edge of the room.

    leafonthewind thanked Linda
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Angel - do you mean something like this? The skinny space would be shelving.

  • 10 years ago

    Linda - your comment on the 2nd drawing and building a partition later is a great idea thanks!

  • 10 years ago

    Yes, something like that. I personally love shelves. I fold my tees, sweaters etc. and place on shelves (hubby gets a bit of space for sweaters) lol Also i have those storage boxes to keep items in (so buy some larger boxes and make sure they space the shelves so you can put the boxes in/out.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I have a large walk in with a regular door, which works fine and allows for more wall space for furniture placement in bedroom. Also, I can't see an advantage to splitting the closet down the road...I would make that decision right now so your storage configurations are appropriate. You may end up having needs you had not thought of and with the larger space, have a bit more flexibility on how/what you want to store. For example, we decided to add a dresser because we wanted to have a large flat surface for my jewelry and doing makeup + more storage than the built ins. Added a chest to store winter blankets and a large mirror, which we can both benefit from. Really consider your wish list and needs and play around with configurations/storage options to see what works best for you.

  • 10 years ago

    I recently decided my highly cluttered bedroom needed a change,so hired an organizer who had started us cleaning out the closet to ready it. The walk-in closet was done by CA closet, in 95. It probably is similar to your first option, but I have to say it has masses amount of storage.

    It has 2 bifold doors separated by 2 ft of wall in between and you walk into a square room. But there is an addtl set of shelves (14 wide and 2 sets that are 18 in length, attached at the front wall} that juts into the closet - there's walking space all around it. Like walking into a room with storage on each side of you. It provides an addtl 8 x 2 shelving units, that combined with shelving at the beginning of each wall, with 10 different hanging space areas, and shelves above them. I think it is extremely efficient and it now looks clean and luxurious (finish is a little dated, eh).

    Except I hate shelving. I hang all shirts, or fold them using Pliio pieces so I can 'file' them in a drawer. Luckily, CA closets still uses the same measurements for shelves so I just ordered 4 chrome gliding baskets (drawers had to be installed by them so over $100/per too expensive), put them in and I loooovvvve them. Got rid of a dresser. Good luck!