Software
Houzz Logo Print
angelicatownshend

To paint or not to paint cabinets...

10 years ago
We chose this blonde grey porcelain plank tile. I am of the opinion that it won't look good with the honey color cabinets the house has, and was considering painting then ivory for a more seamless look and staining the island charcoal or dark brown. My husband, mother in law and contractor think I am insane and that the quality wood cabinetry should not be touched. It's only 4 years old. The contractor says it will require upkeep and not be as nice, and to wait until the tile is down and I might be surprised and love it. I agree with him there...i guess. I want more opinions though. Does this clash? No one has asked the question, why didn't you choose a floor that matched to begin with, but I looked everywhere and this is the only tile I fell in love with.

Comments (36)

  • 10 years ago
    This is the back splash. It had done grey in it, can't see it in this lighting.
  • 10 years ago
    Different lighting.
  • 10 years ago
    I love your cabinets and would not change them. You can bring in the floor color in other ways like: light wicker baskets above cabinets, artwork on wall, stools or chairs. Your kitchen is gorgeous.
  • 10 years ago

    I was in the same predicament. Have really beautiful custom hickory cabinets but love the look popular now of painted. Everyone talked me out of painting them and now that my new floors are down I am glad I didnt paint. The floors really compliment the cabinets. I had a designer come in who counseled me to not get so caught up in the popular cool tones and try to steer to warm to coordinate with the warm cabinets.

    And I think the floor you've chosen has a bit of warm tone to it that does not clash with your cabinets. And I think your backsplash does a good job of tying the 2 together.

    I tell myself that in a few years the painted look won't be so popular and I will still have my classic, high quality cabinets in place. If you paint the walls a warmer tone to further compliment the cabinets I bet you'll fall in love again. At least thats what did it for me. The whole effect of the warm paint really brought it together.

    Idea: could you just paint your island the Ivory? I love the look of different finishes together.

    Also, my mother in law built a house and had painted cabinets and just as your contractor noted she said they were a lot more upkeep. She just moved into a newly built home and had custom wood put in for that very reason.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Sorry if this is too blunt, but that chosen floor is hideous. It reads pink-ish gray on the monitor and looks sludgy. Please find something more attractive. The cabinets should be left alone; find a better choice for the floor. PS: Take a sample of your backsplash and lay it next to the tile and upload the pic here.

  • 10 years ago

    This is a duplicate post

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    The backsplash and the outlet covers are the only thing I'd change in this kitchen. The tile floor is just fine as it is. No reason to spend the massive amount of money to change it. Especially to something so faddish and ugly.

  • 10 years ago
    It's the lighting, here it is in different rooms and the manufacturers' picture.
  • 10 years ago
    We have to change the tile because otherwise it will look like there are stripes of different flowing through the house. When you walk in, it's tile, then carpet, then tile, then carpet. Have to tear it all out to make it all uniform.
  • 10 years ago
    Flooring not flowing
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Your chosen flooring is lovely. I would not hesitate to paint the cabinets, they do not appear to be high-end cabinets and and are only maple. It is not a crime to paint cabinets you don't like. I would however enlist the help of a pro to do the painting so it does not look like a DIY job. The doors and ALL hardware should be removed and it should be done with a spray equipment, not a brush to give you as close to a factory finish as possible. Good luck!

  • 10 years ago
    You can kind of see here how it is tile, then carpet, then tile,
  • 10 years ago

    It doesn't look any better in the manufacturer's pictures. It is faddish and unattractive. Pick something with a more natural wood tone if you don't want to be hating it in two years time when the fads change again.

  • 10 years ago
    Strip the carpet in the adjacent area, match with your current tile,add area rugs where necessary and washable inexpensive, pretty runners for your kitchen floors.
  • 10 years ago
    Here is the tile next to the back splash.
  • 10 years ago
    We live in Florida and have a pool, a toddler, visiting dogs, and a baby on a ventilator that requires a lot of equipment to be moved back and forth in the house. We don't want to have to worry about our floors, we want to be able to move furniture around when we need tip to accommodate our family and not scratch expensive wood, laminate, or vinyl.
  • 10 years ago
    I keep looking at it trying to make sure it's not pink! It looks like a warm gray here. I took it in the sun, it's it looking pink?
  • 10 years ago
    Here it is against an antique white liquor cabinet...
  • 10 years ago
    And in the shade...
  • 10 years ago

    Yes, the cabinets and proposed tile clash. Take a drawer or small door with you to the tile shop again. Also take a handsize sample of the backsplash tile that includes several of the root-beer reddish-brownish ones. If you are feeling pressured to make a quick decision, take a break for few days and start over.

    Paint will show chips and dings in nothing flat with a family and dogs. The wood finish is much more practical for staying nice looking.

  • 10 years ago

    I like the tile that you have chosen. I think it will look great once it is on the floor. If it clashes too much with the cabinets, you can always paint them. Good luck!

  • 10 years ago

    Yes, it's pink. Never buy anything that demands that you change everything you own to work with it. By the time you do, you'll have come full circle and hate it and want to change it.

  • 10 years ago
    I hope you'll take the good advice offered here. Although you love the tile, it's a huge mistake. Don't do it :(
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    That flooring looks very trendy to me. I'm not a fan of buying any color of flooring or tile which wasn't even on the market 5 years ago. Stick with the classic natural or medium browns and you will be happier in the years ahead.

    Some products have been on the market for 100 years...there's a reason products are described as "classic" If you are spending a large amount of money, stick to the classics and get your trendy fix in something easier to replace.

  • 10 years ago

    I will say I had chosen something really close to what you have there because I too loved it. I paid a designer $100 to come out to my house and she helped me see the floor I loved didnt go with my cabinets. So I had to decide keep or paint the cabinets before I decided floors. Once I committed to keeping the cabinets it was easier to move forward with another floor choice. And your rational for the tile seems right on! sounds perfect for the way you live!

    That said, I see warm tones in your tile and don't think it looks bad with your cabinets. I agree its very hard to see the real color in pictures. I agonized too on the floor choice and looking in all the different lights change the color so much!

  • 10 years ago
    So when I posted this question, which was about my cabinets, I didn't conwider another floor because I have 6000$ of it sitting in my garage already. Of course now I'm totally panicked, but seeing as how it weighs 2-3 thousand lbs and costs a ton to ship an hour back to the store, I am stuck with it and need to make the best of it. I opened a box and laid some on the floor next to the cabinets and back splash. The back splash kind of ties it in. I don't have time or money to undo this, I hope I love it. I guess I could always redo the cabinets later, which I didn't like from the start anyway.
  • 10 years ago

    I think it's going to look great, according to your last picture. In some of the pictures the color looks different, but I really like it a lot more in the picture where you covered a larger part of the floor with the tiles.

  • 10 years ago

    I think it looks very nice in the last picture! If you have never liked your cabinets, I say paint them! but I really think the flooring looks fine with the cabinets either way and I like the wood style tile. Don't panic it will all come together!

  • 10 years ago
    I hear you, but it would have probably been better to ask whether the flooring you picked worked before buying the lot. If you asking the question, then it is somehow not working for you. Curious if you brought a sample home first?
  • 10 years ago
    The backsplash does a great job of tying in you floors, counters and cabinets. I would not paint the cabinets but rather try to bring the floor color in with accent pieces like a grey leather stool or the like.
  • 10 years ago
    We just bought the house, and had to get the tile prior to actually closing on it, but I did bring the sample to inspection, granted, like I said, I didn't like the cabinets from the first time we saw the house and had planned on getting them painted white with an espresso island, it wasn't until the tile was delivered and the contractor came out that I even considered the possibility of keeping the cabinets as is. I had brought several samples to my sister in laws house ( our new next door neighbor who has the same floor plan as us) and laid it about the house watching for differences in appearance throughout the day and how they looked with different furniture and how I liked them over time and all got eliminated but this one. I was sure it was what I liked best with the lighting and other furnishings in our house, for example, my master bedroom in our old house. We will be keeping the same furniture and wall colors. I like white painted wood and dark almost black furniture and rarely choose any wood tones. I love tealish blue green accents and red. I wanted a floor as a canvas that didn't detract from the room, and didn't pull the eye in a heavy puddle on the door that showcased dust and grunge whenever I don't get around to mopping , but wasn't too light either, as grout can get dirty looking over time. We are on a tight time table, because my son can't move in with us until the floors are down and the dust settles, due to his respiratory issues, and that's another reason we had to pull all the carpet, and there was a lot.
  • 10 years ago
    Your last picture shows that it will all look fine together. The other, limited pics were not enough to decide. Do it, enjoy it. You have more to worry about. Good luck.
  • 10 years ago
    Not too bad, but I would personally have to paint the cabinets either a light or dark grey, or white. Especially if your house colors and decor are more cool toned and open up to the kitchen.
  • 10 years ago

    You loved the flooring when you picked it and will when its down. put it in and live with it for a bit. I really do think it looks nice with the cabinets. but if you continue to long for painted cabinets you'll still have the floor you love and then painted cabinets too!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I think the tile you chose is lovely. I would put it down and live with it for a while, just as the previous comment suggested. The current cabinet color isn't bad with the floor, it just sounds as though it isn't your style. It may grow on you, and if it doesn't, you can paint the cabinets. Keep in mind that the painted finish will never be as durable as the factory finish, so it will require strict attention in application and maintenance to keep it looking good in the future.


    Congratulations on the new house!