Software
Houzz Logo Print
hawk_941

How is the quality of Home Depot's or Lowe's kitchen cabinets?

10 years ago

I have a plan for my kitchen done through Ikea, but thought I at least explore other options. My contractor will do the installation, so I will not have to worry about getting installation done through the retailer.

Comments (13)

  • 10 years ago

    I bought my cabinets through a home center store 19 years ago and they have held up well. Mine are wood and have solid wood doors and cabinet frames. I did not know then that plywood boxes are better and mine are not, but they still have held up very well. When you decide on a particular brand of cabinet, you might come back and ask about that brand.

    hawk_941 thanked jhmarie
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    The big box stores and local cabinet shops all have different lines of cabinets at different quality levels and price points. Show the cabinet style and grade that you are looking at from IKEA and they can all give you something similar. They can also explain the differences in quality. A local cabinet shop will be there in the long run for any issues.

    hawk_941 thanked Susan Berry Design, Inc.
  • 8 years ago

    Lowe's? HORRIBLE. We ordered and paid in full for custom kitchen cabinets from Lowe's 180 days ago. They still aren't done. Installers have ruined cabinets that needed re-ordered, broken 2 appliances in the process and left our house a disaster. From the Lowe's side, they drop the ball at every opportunity and will sell you on a process that you won't get. See many more photos and read more: https://myloweskitchencabinets.com/


  • 8 years ago

    Phillip, I just read every word of your kitchen/Lowe's fiasco and I have no words. That is just awful.

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks.. seems that some of these posts I finally made to a couple of these websites got their attention.

  • 8 years ago

    Phillip, so sorry about your mess with Lowe's! We too ordered cabinets from Lowe's and had a terrible experience!!! We are DIY'ers so we installed them ourselves but the quality was horrible (Diamond Brand Cabinets)...every single door and drawer front had something wrong with them (uneven paint, scratches, no paint, one door had a huge crack in it, etc), we couldn't believe our order made it past quality control. Our actual boxes we surprisingly fine. We did get new doors and drawers for all our cabinets, but it took some talks with the manager at Lowe's. It probably helped that my husband is an attorney and wonderful negotiator. So, in the end they took care of it but we would never order Diamond Brand again! I cannot even imagine if we would have had Lowe's install, what a nightmare. Hope your nightmare is over soon! Bottom line, I would not recommend getting Diamond Brand Cabinets from Lowe's or any retailer.

  • 8 years ago
    Ive purchased cabinets from Lowe’s twice with no problems. I had my own installer. I wouldn’t use one of their installers.
  • 8 years ago
    I had the Shenandoah line of cabinets.
  • 8 years ago

    Do not confuse anecdotes with data.

    Horror stories are not data.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Just an update:

    We ordered and paid in full for custom kitchen cabinets from Lowe's 294 days (OVER 9 MONTHS!!!) ago and so far, it has cost us more than $10,000 beyond what we agreed to pay. There has been so many problems it's not even funny. The craftsmanship has been horrid, 3 of the cabinets needed replaced due to the installers. They've also managed to break 2 brand new appliances, run over my mailbox and STOLE STUFF FROM MY TOOLBOX (Yes, I have video footage).

  • 4 years ago

    My daughter and Son in Law are in the middle of a cabinet installation from Lowes right now. The experience is so bad that i feel sick for them. My husband and I helped them out financially with the cost as their house was flooded out due to a river running over its banks. if we could have seen how the experience was going to go we would have never ever had them use them. The mess Lowes has created is the last thing they needed after a house flooding.

  • 4 years ago

    NEVER EVER USE Lowes for your kitchen cabinets. We placed our order February 2022 and it is now August 2022 and our kitchen and back cabinets are still not done. Half the order came in the wrong stain, pieces missing and several items were not measured properly. The day of the arrival we notified the store of all the issues. No compensation was offered and it took an additional month to get the re order placed and now we are still waiting for them to arrive. They started the install on the kitchen and we have endless issues and poor workmanship. Our dream kitchen has now turned into a disaster. Strongly recommend you shop around with your local providers before choosing LOWES.