Software
Houzz Logo Print
graceanderson748

Ugly exterior help?!

10 years ago
Hey everyone! My husband and I just started looking for our first home and I've recently stumbled upon houzz. We just saw a house that has a lot of potential- however, it's a split level which definitely isn't on the top of the list for me. But it has a lot of space and is in the location we're looking for. One of the issues I have is the outside. It's so ugly. I like red brick but definitely not this color. I'm not sure what could be done outside for not a lot of money that would make it look better. Thought I'd see if you guys had any thoughts!

Comments (10)

  • 10 years ago
    I wanted to add that pretty much all of the houses in the neighborhood have that same color brick or a bit lighter. So I don't know how it would look to really change the color- the house would really stand out.
  • 10 years ago
    Anyone? :)
  • 10 years ago
    I need to bump this up again sorry! We need some advice!
  • 10 years ago

    The degree to which split level homes can be modernized depends on your taste and budget. You will get lots of recommendations to avoid painting the brick. If you hate the brick, however, you have two options : 1) paint it, 2) look for another house. Learning to live with it probably won't work. Consider getting local professional advice if you are serious about purchasing this house because of its other fine features. I'm sure you'll get more ideas on this site. Good luck.

  • 10 years ago
    What doesn't work for this house are the windows. There is no symmetry and appear stuck on without any forethought. You can't fix that with a coat of paint. Painting the brick is an option but adds maintenance down the road. Even the front door is a not great, yet even that fix is expensive. Plus you state you are not fond of raised ranches. Landscaping along the facade and bumping up grass will help. Potted plants etc. see what the neighbors do that you can copy. The thing is, trade offs are made for location. Only you can balance that. If this is a first time house, the issues I raise are not as significant.
  • 10 years ago

    If you want to make it more modern, I would go with 2 different shades of gray. I would paint the top dark and the brick light. Right now your eye is drawn to the upper, light colored portion of the home and it looks top heavy because of the color. I would even just try painting that dark gray and changing the landscape first without even touching the brick--that might be enough and provide a nice contrast to the brick. I would paint the garage door and the front door another color, too. Love the wood ones in the pictures but that may be out of budget. If you paint the whole house shades of gray, I'd go for a pop of color with the garage and the front door. If you choose to just paint the top, I would paint the garage and front door more of a neutral color. I would take off the storm door or replace it. The existing one looks very dated.

  • 10 years ago
    I'm guessing the tiny window is a bathroom, but if it could be enlarged it would really help. Remove the storm door, remove part or all of the hedge that blocks the from entry, and emphasis an entry porch to make it welcoming from the street. I agree with the comment to begin with paint or stain on the garage doors and front door. Later you can do more if the results don't please you. Good luck!
  • 10 years ago
    Now if you take Kevin's mock up and start doing your landscaping it will take on awhile new appeal . Plant some trees in the front. Beds with color. Make it into a home!
  • 10 years ago
    Kevin's mockups with the painted siding are a big improvement, although I think a bit of a golden tan would tie into the brick even better. If money permits, you might be able to replace the front door and sidelight - maybe with a pair of doors, or a single door with a pair of smaller sidelights, or a single door with substantial trim around it to give more presence to the entrance. Removing the low hedge by the front door to allow for a visible walkway to the door, and adding a pair of pretty plants to frame it out would help. Relocating the mailbox (using a pretty one) and adding attractive larger lights and house numbers, all can add character. If you are really ambitious, try trimming out the upstairs Windows, perhaps adding boxed trim below the tiny one could help. I agree with the comment to add trees and colorful flower beds. Best of luck!