Software
Houzz Logo Print
m_broihier

Help this bathroom! Yikers!

10 years ago

Very inefficiently laid-out bathroom. For such a large room the shower is a puny 30x34-ish and butts (no pun intended here!) right up to the toilet room. The enormous old tub must go and I have new cabinets on order that are a beautiful java color. The vanity is an


enormous 96". I also bought cappuccino colored marble floor tiles in 12x12" . I would like to incorporate white and I do not want a marble shower. Ideas anyone? I'm at a loss on this one. Must keep costs down.

Comments (19)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Instead of turning the shower area into a linen closet, could a tub be tucked in there? You'd need to move the heating vent. And if that's the end of your vanity you'd need to shorten it. I agree with Darzy about the new shower location.

    m_broihier thanked partim
  • 10 years ago
    Think these are ideas, not sure if it can fit
    m_broihier thanked Irene Morresey
  • 10 years ago

    Or (again, assuming you want a tub) move the door to the toilet room so that it opens where the shower is now. Then put the tub along the wall where the toilet room door is now, and the shower beside it, with one side of the shower along the tub.

    GRIFFIN ENRIGHT ARCHITECTS: Mandeville Canyon Residence · More Info

    m_broihier thanked partim
  • 10 years ago

    Great ideas. I love the idea of turning the shower into a built-in cabinet. Also, should I keep the step on the tub? It sure does help when getting out, but is it too dated?

  • 10 years ago

    OK Partim, I understand what you're saying about moving the door and putting the tub along that wall. But what happens to that corner that is now the shower? What else can be done with it?

  • 10 years ago

    You'd open the door into that space. Your toilet area would be more spacious, because the door opens out.

  • 10 years ago

    But if you're not planning to have a separate shower and tub, then there's no point in moving that door because you really don't need the room.

  • 10 years ago

    I do want a separate shower and tub, and I like your ideas so much.


  • 10 years ago

    Yes, I would remove the step for a seamless walk-in shower.

    m_broihier thanked Darzy
  • 10 years ago

    This is the general idea.

    Shape and size of the shower depends entirely on the space you have, likely needs to be smaller than I have drawn here. Hard to tell from your photo, and we don't know your dimensions, where the door is, etc.


  • 10 years ago

    You mention keeping costs down. Does that mean you can't move any of the plumbing? Also, where is the plumbing in your shower? If it is on the wall where your toilet is, you're a bit restricted. If however you can move plumbing, consider swapping out the toilet and shower. You can then use the space where the but is to make have a frames glass shower at the head of the tub. You can then make the shower larger and the toilet room smaller. Good luck.


    m_broihier thanked Barbara Almandarz
  • 10 years ago

    If you use a drop in tub, you can extend the edging around the tub to form a bench in the shower. There are lots of examples of this in Houzz, usually with the shower at the foot of the tub rather than at the side.

    Don't know what your budget is but just warning you that a big glass shower like this is not an inexpensive option.


    m_broihier thanked partim
  • 10 years ago

    Or switching the shower and tub, if that works better in your space, depending on how long the wall is and where the door to the room is.


    m_broihier thanked partim
  • 10 years ago

    Very cool everyone. that last drawing Partim looks like a possibility. So wonderful! Now I see the value in hiring an expert!

  • 10 years ago

    Hold off on buying your vanity until you have a complete final plan.

    m_broihier thanked partim
  • 10 years ago

    Well Partim, that ship has sailed. I think it'll be OK. I am seriously considering your fab idea of moving the toilet room door (I was thinking of just removing it entirely since it'll be around a corner) and using that wall for the shower and then run the tub along the right. You are a genius!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Step into the tub is old fashioned and slippery. Better to sit on the deck and swivel into/out of tub or step over the edge.

    m_broihier thanked Diehl Interiors
  • 10 years ago

    So glad you like the idea! Moving a door is often a help when a room has an awkward layout.

    m_broihier thanked partim