Software
Houzz Logo Print
sbsantare

Engineered flooring

10 years ago

I have been looking for flooring for our new home for at least two years. I thought I was set on Hallmark Woods Laguna from the Alta Vista collection. Saw it again and thought it looked like plastic.

Does any company make engineered flooring 5"-7" planks, with a driftwood look? I prefer not to have it manufactured in China.


it must hold up to dogs, spills and wet feet. Am I asking too much?

Comments (19)

  • 10 years ago

    You will only find what you want by doing your own research and by visiting dealers who offer many lines of product. Manufacturer websites will list dealers by zipcode.

    sbsantare thanked glennsfc
  • 10 years ago

    I think my problem is I've done too much research online. I guess there will always be negative comments. Once a librarian, always...

  • 10 years ago

    If I were you, I would visit all the flooring places in your area and see what they have available. They will offer you samples to bring home and see how they look in your space.

    I do want to warn you that engineered hardwood floors are wood floors. They will be susceptible to all the things wood floors are regarding spills, wet feet, dogs.

    sbsantare thanked handmethathammer
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Yes. Always a negative comment here and there. It's the ones that have stellar five star reviews across the board that I'm always suspicious of. Considering the volume these companies do, somebody is going to have a bad day and very likely to spread their dissatisfaction.

    I suggest to people like yourself, forget about it for a few weeks. You'd be surprised how easier the decision is when you do so.

    Engineered is far more stable in wide plank form, just like what you're looking at. Something like that Alta Vista line also has the right grain and character that masks dog nail damage. Wet feet? Occasional isn't going to affect anything.

    It's a floor, not an antique tabletop.

    Thick Veneer Engineered

    Ken Fisher

    sbsantare thanked Uptown Floors
  • 8 years ago

    Sbsantare what did you ultimately choose for your flooring? Hallmark has another one in the Alta Vista collection similar to Laguna but a bit more natural looking... Balboa. We are considering putting it in a few areas of our home.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    We ended up using Alta Vista’s Balboa. It seemed the most natural. There are two problems we’ve had. Where the wood meets the entry tile, there is some moisture damage. We didn’t have a rug in the entry so that may be the cause of the damage. The other issue is because of the raised grain in the wood, it can be difficult to clean. The flooring is white oak and is great looking. We’ve had lots of compliments. I wrote elsewhere that I wouldn’t recommend it but after looking at it, the damage is confined to the wood near then entry. I would recommend taking a sample home and put it in a high traffic area for a while. It is perfect for our coastal home. I’ll try to figure out why I can’t post photos. Hope this helps.

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks for the reply, I'd love to see pics of Balboa. That is my only worry, dirt getting down into the grooves. Ours will be in Master bedroom, an office, & main stairwell in foyer.

  • 8 years ago
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Does the link above show you one photo? I can take more.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Yes, I can see it, thanks! Wow the color looks so different in every photo that I see. Trying to decide between Hallmark Balboa, Laguna & Malibu. Your pic looks exactly like my sample of Malibu!

  • 8 years ago

    Here is what the samples look like in my house... Malibu, Balboa, Laguna. They look different when I see pics online.

  • 8 years ago

    Did you make a decision? We were considering those three selections. When we saw Laguna, it looked and felt like plastic. So, we went with Balboa.

  • PRO
    8 years ago


  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Hallmark Balboa stair steps.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    No, I haven't made a decision. I like Laguna and Balboa but am a little concerned that dirt gets in the grooves & it is hard to clean. I feel like Malibu or Delmar would be the practical choice. Also, my retailer's sample of Balboa has a large variance in color. I'd love to see an entire room of it. I'd like to see Laguna vs Balboa because they look very similar.

  • 8 years ago

    I live part time in RI and ME. Next time I return to ME, I’ll take some pics of the flooring in our house.

  • 8 years ago

    Thank you, I'd love to see it.

  • 8 years ago
    Wondering for those who went ahead and installed one of the Alta Vista line, how it’s holding up as far as the oil finish goes and how the maintenance has been. I like the look of these floors but I’m concerned about the upkeep. I’m also wondering about use in a kitchen, if you drip water or say juice or coffee, will it instantly stain? Thank you!