lbotfa

Alternative Options for Zebrawood cabinets?

lbotfa
April 21, 2016

I am getting ready to have a new kitchen designed - and really like the look of Zebrawood for a modern contemporary finished product. I'm looking to have custom cabinets made. Preferably slab fronts, with no handles. Looking for an aesthetic option that might not be as polarizing as Zebrawood - but still offers the contrasting grain, relative commercial availability, and reasonable cost.

I found a photo of flat cut walnut that looks appealing:

Thoughts or suggestions??

• live_wire_oak

The reconstituted veneer that you pictured is as affordable as it gets. Beware of the many people in the market that will call themselves custom without being at the level that you mentally associate with that label. You'd be better off going with a major manufacturer like Henrybuilt. You can be assured of quality and longevity with that type of choice. Other "custom" makers won't provide thst level of quality. Or, if they do, they would actually cost more.

• lbotfa

And another that I found appealing

• groveraxle

Hickory:

2012 HGTV Green Home · More Info

Sophie Wheeler

You want a darn expensive look. No way around it for cost cutting that won't involve disappointment or poor quality.

I love the Brokhult from Ikea for this look and at a decent price and tons of options

Wendt Design Group

If you are using the Ikea cabinets, make sure you use the Ikea installers. Our clients used his painters to install the Ikea cabinets and it took much longer to get the kitchen completed

They also want to improve the way they are installed and there is no improvemnt needed . I will tell you they are not that bad to DIY if you have patience

• gustaruygers
    I wanted that same expensive look you like and compromised with bamboo cabinets. You can pick vertical or horizontal grain direction to your liking . Love the result.
  • lbotfa

I've looked at Bamboo... and I like it. Which brand of cabinets did you use...? any info you can provide would be helpful. Thanks!

• Terri Henderson

I like the grain laid horizontal. I think it's beautiful.

Wendt Design Group
    We found a brand a called Crystal that made a great looking and well priced horizontal bamboo cabinet in a variety of stain colors . It was sold input part of the country through a showroom called Factory Builders .
  • acm

You can also look at the Latitude line at Lowes, which has a lot of these semi-artificial wood-look finishes at very reasonable prices. They feel very solid and nice.

(Look at the laminates at the bottom of this page.) They have some finishes that evoke the zebrawood with a milder effect, bamboo, and some nice sort of weathered-barn looks, and you can combine them with other finishes (like a textured white, or glossy gray) to temper the overall feel a bit too.