Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_14066723

Can't Decide; Please vote

User
8 years ago

When I did the kitchen reno, I made a recessed shelf in the kitchen wall. Doing so meant cutting into the back wall of a cabinet in the half-bath on the other side of the kitchen wall. I therefore and to put wallboard up inside the cabinet in the area where the recessed shelf is. The cabinet is tall, so it still has the shelf which is the sill as well as two more shelves above the wallboard.

I want to wallpaper the wallboard as well as the shelves, but I can't decide between these two wallpapers. The half bath is painted a very deep chocolate brown, including the back wall and sides of the cabinet, so both of these will look great with the brown (BM Whitall Brown).

I really fell in love with the bees, but would they be creepy? They are hand painted by an artist. The roses are more staid, but the colors and vintage look would be perfect in this bathroom. I just cannot decide. Maybe you can help? Convince me one way or another? Thanks!

Comments (84)

• Anne
    8 years ago

I love the bees!!!

User thanked Anne
  • DYH
    8 years ago

bees!

User thanked DYH
  • sasandfat
    8 years ago

Honey Bees hands down. I like the idea of adding some to your walls. If not possible because of the groves how about framing some and making it artwork?

User thanked sasandfat
  • Bunny
    8 years ago

Now that I've seen the actual setting, I like the bees even more.

User thanked Bunny
  • OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Love the bee theme! I'd go for that, especially with all the cute accessory ideas floating around.

User thanked OutsidePlaying
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

TR, I love that last one. What is it and where can I find it? I would love to frame it and put it in the powder room.

• User
    8 years ago

And you have birds in your LR, right? So you have that birds-and-bees theme going.

User thanked User
  • Karizme
    8 years ago

Bees! I think the roses are boring (and too dark for that space), while to bees are unexpected (and much brighter.) I think I'd smile every time I opened that door - what fun!

User thanked Karizme
  • amykath
    8 years ago

Bees!

User thanked amykath
  • LynnNM
    8 years ago

Late again, but I definitely vote for The Bees. I think it would be a very fresh, very surprising and very pretty look . . . and a great foil for all the wood in there.

User thanked LynnNM
  • natebear zone 10B
    8 years ago

Bees!

User thanked natebear zone 10B
  • busybee3
    8 years ago

i like the bees much more than the roses... but i agree that the bees inside the cabinet might be startling to someone not expecting them...

if it was only between those two patterns, i would choose the bees for sure, but, tbh, i probably would find something else i liked for a cabinet interior...

User thanked busybee3
  • gramarows
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I like the Bees and would play up the bee theme, maybe add some Burt's Bees products, etc. or:

BTW, Wish people would stop saying things that look dated, look "grandma." : (

User thanked gramarows
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Now who would think it would be "Busybee" saying she'd look for something else!

Lol.

TR, that last one is awesome. So great. I am going to look at the "first" last one, which I think would be great framed in that bathroom. Thanks for bringing those to my attention!

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

TR, I just ordered that "Les Abeilles" burlap print! TY!

• raphaellathespanishwaterdog
    8 years ago

Definitely bees!

User thanked raphaellathespanishwaterdog
  • busybee3
    8 years ago

lol-- i like honey bees! i really do! (but, maybe i am still having some bad memories of fighting a yellowjacket hive in a basement wall of a previous house!! want no more buzzing creatures inside my house, let alone cabinet!! :)

User thanked busybee3
  • dedtired
    8 years ago

Adore the bees!

User thanked dedtired
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Bees it is!

Really, really cute plate, grammars.

• torreykm
    8 years ago

What is the source of the bee wallpaper?

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here you go, torrey. I just corresponded with the artist and suggested she come here and introduce herself.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SammieClarkArt?ref=l2-shopheader-name

• PRO
    Sammie Clark Art
    8 years ago

Hey everyone! I am the artist and designer of the Bee wallpaper! I thought I'd introduce myself! Its been great to hear all of the feedback on this wallpaper and Im so happy tibbrix decided to use it! torreykm, you can see my etsy page, sammieclarkart.etsy.com, or the link tibbrix posted. I am also in the process of working on a new line of fabrics! You can always follow along on Etsy or Instagram for updates and new items. My instagram name is sammieclarkart . Nice to meet you all!

• carolt924
    8 years ago

Hi Tib, nothing but bees.....

User thanked carolt924
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Carolt! Where the heck have you been? you run off and join some bee colony?

• torreykm
    8 years ago

Fabulous! I make custom window treatments so will look forward to seeing your fabric line Sammie Clark!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    8 years ago

I love those bees and it is such fun that Sammie Clark chimed in here!

Tib, if you are worried people might worry about a bee infestation, you really need to paint one on the toilet seat! Give them something to really startle them. Hehheh.

User thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • mojomom
    8 years ago

Love the bees and all the opportunities to play of a theme, just have some subtle fun with it. I also like the irony of the bees with the story of the honeybees in the house when you bought it -- kind of a nod to your history there.

Great work Sammie Clark!

User thanked mojomom
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

exactly, mojomom. I had the same thought! Cool that Sammie Clark came on, huh?

• monicamc123
    8 years ago

Love the bees!

User thanked monicamc123
  • prairiemom61
    8 years ago

Panel grooves are pretty easily filled with spackle, then you can use that fun bee paper on a whole wall! Seems a shame to hide it behind cabinet doors.

Looking forward to seeing the finished project, accessories and all.

User thanked prairiemom61
  • Irish2
    8 years ago

Another vote for the bees! ☘

User thanked Irish2
  • sasandfat
    8 years ago

Welcome Sammie! Love your patterns. And look what she has for Lavender Lass and other bunny lovers.

User thanked sasandfat
  • lascatx
    8 years ago

I think the bees are going to be fun, especially with the ideas to bring in other bees.

User thanked lascatx
  • maire_cate
    8 years ago

Another bee lover, and I love the bees on burlap. My son's MIL is a bee keeper and over the years has acquired a lot of bee motif item. There's a fine line between 'just the right touch' and overboard but have you thought of using bee knobs on the cupboard - that might give a hint to one of your renters before they open the doors.

https://www.houzz.com/products/honey-bee-cabinet-knobs-8-piece-set-15-prvw-vr~37510312

User thanked maire_cate
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That's a great idea, maire. Agree it's a fine line. Seems that bathroom is taking on a bee theme (thanks to Sammie and her wallpaper!).

Love the bunnies too. I considered them as well, but decided they are a bit "young" for a powder room. I think the bees have a bit more sophistication, combined with fun. Also with the bunnies, the repeat is too pronounced.

I am going to consider doing a wall over time. Can't really think about it now because I've got too much to do to get the house ready for rentals as it is. Plus, this wallpaper ain't cheap. This tiny bit I need really added up; almost $80 for those very small areas, so a wall is going to really take from my Brigham's Ice Cream Reserve! Lol.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

love the bee cabinet knob idea!

tibb- i have seen in past posts that you rent out your house in the summer- where do you go then?

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

i haven't read the comments here, but I really love the bees, and they aren't creepy at all! The flowers just aren't singing to me..... (or humming???)

User thanked artemis_ma
  • patiencenotmyvirtue
    8 years ago

Bees, please! Do you have any little people that need a boost to reach the sink? If so, you need a bee stool. Bee stool

User thanked patiencenotmyvirtue
  • nutsaboutplants
    8 years ago

Haven't read all the comments. I like the bees, but have a hard time seeing it with that dark chocolate. The wall color and the paper are both pretty, but

User thanked nutsaboutplants
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh, bee stool is really cool! Yes, I might get that. Thanks, Annie!

Busybee, I go wherever. I'm also a dog sitter and often have jobs in the summer, so I go and stay with dogs in their own homes, or friends/family, I have wonderful clients who offer their homes or vacation homes to me....all works.

nutsaboutplants, interesting perspective. I'm not thrilled with the BM Whitall brown, wish I'd gone with a warmer brown, but I think the bees will look great with it, actually. Pine ceiling, brown walls...very woodsy, so I think perfect for bees!

• Rhonda Satterfield
    8 years ago

Bee vote from me!!

User thanked Rhonda Satterfield
  • l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

For the inside of the cabinet, the bees will be cool. And I don't think with that dark wall you are anywhere near the level of going "overboard" on the bee theme, even with pictures on the wall, a bee stool and bee knobs. In fact, it would be rather fun, IMHO.

User thanked l pinkmountain
  • lizzierobin
    8 years ago

I vote for the bees too! Very charming.

User thanked lizzierobin
  • artemis_ma
    8 years ago

Sammie Clark Art - just read most the comments -- and checked your Etsy site, which is lovely! Bookmarking it for future reference.

User thanked artemis_ma
  • Kippy
    8 years ago

If you need more bee related items...let me know. Dad was a bee keeper and mom collected bee themed stuff, but after having one of his hives escape and take over the walls of the house and the chimney, she is not so interested in bees any more. We have everything from teapots to honey pots.

User thanked Kippy
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Kippy! What a kind and generous offer! Wow. And what a story. I'm going to leave it at that, because I realized I didn't know what adjective to use! "Fun"? No. Great? No. Maybe amusing? I can assure everyone, along with your mother, that having honeybees in your walls is not fun! And it isn't even amusing at the time, but it becomes amusing fairly soon afterward, so...

So long as it doesn't happen again!

• cran
    8 years ago

It sounds like you've decided on the adorable bees. We have an older home with a tiny bathroom under the stairs. I had stenciled bees in gold leaf. Now it a new look as the old plaster walls are peeling.

User thanked cran
  • cran
    8 years ago

Meant to say it needs a new look.