Software
Houzz Logo Print
maryoroyne

backplash for my kitchen - Help

10 years ago

Hi Gang.. I need help..

Terrazzo floors, brown lower cabinets, orange countertops and white uppers. I am trying to go for a mid century modern look.. but am stuck on a backplash. A designer picked this. Which is completely not what I had in mind. I was thinking of Anne Sacks Gotham line.. but hum.. any thoughts? I have a lot of brass and gold in lamps in the rest of the house


the countertop has gold specks in it.. thanks !!!



Comments (119)

  • 10 years ago

    yes. if I can find at a good price. thanks

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Hi again!
    I like the ease of cleaning with the back painted glass, but I think it's going to make the kitchen too clinical looking. Now that the countertops are in I really think a natural element is needed. The kitchen is crying out for texture!!! Mid century style mixed the natural with the unnatural. Look at a linear, white stone (quartzite has a little sparkle). It won't compete with the orange, but will hold it's own. You don't need more color - the orange has that dance card full. ;) And the backsplash needs to be the same wrapped around that corner...I've never seen it change around a corner and still look good. Hope that helps!
    maryoroyne thanked Valerie
  • 10 years ago

    wow.. I like that.. you make a great point ! Valeria.. thanks for hanging around this post and adding additional thoughts !..

  • 10 years ago
    We have this window in our living room that supplies great natural light, but we are thinking it needs some sort of treatment. Don't want to block it, but sometimes it would be nice to close it off. Plus I think it needs something to look finished. Thoughts?
  • 10 years ago

    Have you looked at Heath Ceramics? They revived old tile patterns, plus have a collection designed by Dwell. They have a lot of mid mod type dimensional looks.




    maryoroyne thanked barncatz
  • 10 years ago

    barncatz I think that is Ann Sacks? designs?

  • 10 years ago

    no, those are heath ceramics.they some beautiful models and colors

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    To make it even more difficult, check out this site. The link goes to a pattern that you can create in your own choice of colours, but there are loads more options.

    maryoroyne thanked Carolina
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I think that it all depends on the look and feel that you want in your kitchen. The 50's look is a desired look presently but what makes it interesting is bringing it into 2016. I don't think the smooth glass back splash is clinical, it is calm and lets the orange do its thing, along with the floor. There is definitely a modernistic vibe going on in design these days. It says use colour and keep it clean and simple. That is what I loved about the picture you showed me. But adding texture is also great if you want to add more excitement to your space. Heath has a beautiful natural white which appears to have warm undertones if you can afford it Heath tile (BUT and this is a big BUT you would need a sample to make sure it doesn't throw off the white in your floor because then you've added another colour) or you can go for the good old, nice on the budget, really never goes out of style, beveled subway tile. My only cautions is that in my long experience in design, homeowner think that the backsplash has to be wild and eye catching and the queen of the ball. But too many time I find that six months later the client wants to rip it out because they are tired of it or it has already dated itself. Kitchens have so many elements that call attention to the eye. Cabinets, hardware (which I think are the jewellery), counter tops and floors all contribute to kitchen style. Your floors offer pattern too and so you get the interesting job of keeping a balance. So I would keep it simple and you will love your kitchen for years to come.

    maryoroyne thanked Roomworks Roz Morgan Design
  • 10 years ago
  • 10 years ago

    roomeworks love anything ann sacks.. just too $.. I don't want my backplash to stand out too much.. like the heath tile. I was just at a tile place this morning.. I thought I liked the waveline by island stone but the glass it not white enough and just didn't look right.

  • 10 years ago

    Yes, I really like the Neri tiles. Interesting, but not 'in your face'. You could always order a sample and see how it looks in your kitchen.

  • 10 years ago

    corolins.. I got a sample and cant wait to go home and see how it looks.. I think it will work ! stay tuned.. !

  • 10 years ago

    Maryoroye Did you find what you wanted for a backplash?

  • 10 years ago

    How are you Maryoroye??

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    The Neri tiles look great! I agree Anne Sachs is too expensive.


  • 10 years ago

    I think good... I know tomorrow... I am leaning towards the Neri

  • 10 years ago

    Sod did ya'll decide??

  • 10 years ago

    Auto correct I meant So not sod!

  • 10 years ago

    we were going with this.. deco tile ... but it when we got it the tile shop messed up the order so we had to return ...bummer

  • 10 years ago

    And we have had this piece laying around all these months.. and we still are drawn to it..

  • 10 years ago

    I know folks think it may be too dark but the colors are amazing.. and goes with so much with the rest of the area...

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Jeffrey court's studio glass line would be so fun with this color scheme! They have two different tones, but the orange/warms would be best!
  • 10 years ago

    alexia.. so which one are you suggesting. ?

  • 10 years ago
    Did you figure out?
  • 10 years ago

    minjeeah no..

  • 10 years ago
    So what color are you wanting? If I understand right!
  • 10 years ago
    So grey?
  • 10 years ago
    I'm not trying to tell you giving you ideas
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    My apologies, the more orange one. Not the bottom right one, as I'm afraid that one would be too grey. The orange one is the one shown installed behind the sink in the photo and at the top right. This is glass too, so it has good color variation. (the photo doesn't do justice) It's good quality tile, but not as high in price as Some of the other options suggested.
  • 10 years ago

    The original tile goes well with the orange, but I am a bit worried that it might be too dark for the area. Try to put it against the wall and see if it gives you an idea. It would probably be more helpful if you had 2-3 sheets so you can cover a larger area...that would give you a much better idea

    maryoroyne thanked printesa
  • 10 years ago

    printesa .. I worried about that too. but there is so much light bouncing off the tiles as some are glass.. and my husband 'photoshopped' what it would look like it is pretty nice.. there are under cab lights too..

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I have been reading back through all the comments and I must say that you keep returning to that darker tile. You think it is amazing and from my objective observation and as a designer who consults with a lot of clients I would tell you that your heart is with that tile and that is what you should do. As much as you want to like the white I think your heart is with the darker one and I think you should trust your heart. Personally I like what I see with the darker tile and I can see why you like it and it must be all the better in real life. Go for it!

    maryoroyne thanked Roomworks Roz Morgan Design
  • 10 years ago

    You can judge much better than we can do on a screen:) I am finishing a bathroom in the basement and yesterday I was going crazy over the tile..what I saw on a photo looked much different than in the showroom, what I would have preferred they don't carry,,so yes,,tough sometimes :) So if you like it and you see it looks good, go ahead It's your house and you want to enjoy it

    maryoroyne thanked printesa
  • 10 years ago

    My thoughts go along the same lines as Roomworks'. You keep going back to the brown mosaic. Which should tell you something :-)


  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Hi---

    Terrific space!

    I like your original choice, but it is quite dark and the natural light in your kitchen seems dark, so I recommend something a bit more colorful, brighter, and more in keeping with mcm style. Tilebar.com

    Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!

  • 10 years ago

    thanks guys.. ! I just have so much brass brown and glass in lamps and stuff in the rest of the house.. my husband loves this first choice. but now he just wants it DONE !

  • 10 years ago
    I love that first tile! I think it would be beautiful with your other choices
    maryoroyne thanked Betty Des
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Choosing a backsplash can be overwhelming! Here is
    a great article: A
    Backsplash Guide

  • 10 years ago

    that is a great article.. I am heading to my tile store shortly..

  • 10 years ago
    Did you figure out?
  • 10 years ago

    Hi yes.. ! I ordered the white deco again ! The first company messed up the order so had to return.. but went to another tile company (that I did our bathrooms) and they were able to get a better price and so done ! Should be installed next week ! I was just too afraid to go with a lot of busy color tile.. as I thought once I get all my stuff on the counters.. it would only look mess and too busy.. thanks guys ! I will send pics soon !!!

  • 10 years ago
    Ok!!! So glad you figured it out! Anything else?
    maryoroyne thanked minjeeah
  • 10 years ago

    minjeeah... so far so good.. will send pics when installed ! then it is on to the dining room living room area for baseboards and wall painting.. let the fun continue..

  • 10 years ago

    Hi there. I am just starting my kitchen too. It can be difficult choosing the perfect colours, etc. because with a kitchen it's important to do it right since the cost is high. Personally, I like the designer's choice unless you want a very modern look; I feel this one tones it down a bit and gives it warmth.

    I was advised to wait until my countertop is installed and the the tile store will give me a full size sample in order to get a better idea of how it will look. This way I can bring home several different styles. If that is Italian glass (which it appears to be) I think that is a classy and expensive look.

    Good luck!

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I would go with a very light even white mosaics to bring out the countertop
    Introducing many colours will make it busy.Feel free to see our page for some design ideas.
  • 10 years ago
    So fit you figure it out??
  • 10 years ago
    Did not fit
  • 10 years ago
    Maryoroyne-
    I came back to look at your orange countertops again as I am planning on adding some orange to my kitchen and I saw this tile discussion. You and I think the same thoughts!
    maryoroyne thanked jbci
  • 10 years ago
    Oh- and I have Terrazzo floors too!