Software
Houzz Logo Print
kittybart

Is there anything about this rug that works for my foyer?

13 years ago
I purchased a rug today to try in my foyer. I'm trying to go for a rustic modern look in my living room (I'm still working on art, accents, etc. so it's hard for me to tell if this rug is going to tie into my living room area.) I know I need art and a ton of more work in my living space, but I got this thinking it will work and now I'm not sure.

I'm hoping to add some magenta/wine colored accents to the living area, as well as some burlap/type pillows and some more rustic modern art.

I'm concerned the carpet on my landing is too modern for this tribal print as well. The wall color of the foyer is Library Pewter.

Sooo...does it work?

Comments (81)

  • 13 years ago
    I love the tribal rug and love color. The scale of the design in the rug has "modern" overtones although the pattern, of course, is historic. I think you are responding to needing more color and warmth in your design. I think the least expensive way to connect your 2 spaces would be to start with a large painting or poster for above the couch. Pick something you love for the color or design or pattern. Something you enjoy each time you see it. Don't pick it because it matches anything you have. Pick it for your emotional response. Then use paint and your new rug color/pattern (you may still be drawn to a tribal pattern but in a different color combination) to tie the spaces together. Your eye will connect the rug in the foyer to the colors in the painting. I love adding pillows as a way to connect the spaces too. Your furniture and living rug are fine; they are neutral and simple and can be jazzed up with the colors you are drawn to. Good luck. What a fun journey!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    P.S. I like all the rugs
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi, Kittybart - sorry for the delay. I had to run out for a while and can't figure out how to make the site work reliably on my phone. To answer your question - I don't think there is any problem with what you are trying to do relative to the furnishings that you already have. The rug you have in the living area is maybe not the most obvious thing if you are going for rustic modern, but, I don't think it's completely out of the ballpark either. It reminds me of crocheting or crewelwork and also of a quilt, any of which could go in the rustic (folksy) direction. I think Helga is right that you need to get someone in there who can look at what you've got and give you some specific guidance. Tribal rugs are a good way to go, as are various types of textiles (Guatemalan, Indian, Indonesian), and embroidery. I would look at ceramics too - and woodcarving.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Just a side note: Maybe move the entry table farther to the right, center to the space? The right corner of table can be closer to the staircase molding. Not touching but a better visual centering.
  • 13 years ago
    Helga - yes I agree I probably need someone in here to help me with this space. I have had some professional guidance but amateur decorating is a hobby of mine so I always "think" I can handle it....when I really can't. ;)

    Thank you Here Design! I totally want to add some ceramics and wood into the space as well. I'm planning on adding some barn wood shelves behind the couch to add some decorative touches.

    I have been waiting to add color accents because I just can't seem to figure out what colors I want to accent with. I want to keep it modern to flow well with my eclectic play room/family room, but the colors in there are so bright and poppy, it's hard to strike a balance between that space and my muted, neutral furniture in the living room.

    I visited the rug store again today and they're bringing me some replacements to try out for the living room. It seems maybe I have SO much neutral in this space (which the large rug plays a huge part in), that I do need to be able to pull some colors from somewhere and not just add a bunch of random colors to a pretty monochromatic space (as someone else said).

    So hang with me, if you have time and check back. I might have some interesting developments in the living room as well as the foyer.

    Thanks all for your feedback! I greatly appreciate many more eyes on this project!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Go to the paint store and use paint chips to design your color scheme.
  • 13 years ago
    I think the third rug is gorgeous and I love the blue gold one. I can't see why you cant work from the rugs in paint colors and tile...which you can change easily with paint and you said you will retile. Like one of the designers suggested you can add with decor and pillows. It seems funny to be trying to match rugs to paint when you can get a designer to pick a color good from the rug. I just think your rug choices are stunning. Color is not reliable via the computer. Can't wait to see new rug in living room.
  • 13 years ago
    I noticed your one lone pillow on the couch. It makes it difficult to picture a completed project but i think is a clue to the direction you want to see. I think once you choose the color you love (my favorite was the first rich red one), then adding accessories like pillows, art, throws, ceramics, etc in the same tonal quality will bring it all together. You have a great neutral base to work with.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I will be here!
  • 13 years ago
    I'm back!!! New rugs!!! Thoughts?

    Foyer
  • 13 years ago
    Living Room
  • 13 years ago
    Since this is your entry and you intend to change the flooring relatively soon, why don't you consider getting a sisal rug with a canvas border for the time being. It would be a bit rustic, modern, practical and go with whatever is going on elsewhere. They come in all sizes and border colors and are reasonably priced. Then when you change that tile flooring and have your living room down to where you want it, get yourself a rug you love.
  • 13 years ago
    I like your new rug choices. Great jumping off point for the style you want.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Nice rugs. Can now see that your upholstery is two colors; in the previous pics, I thought it was an effect of the lighting. In any case, I feel like it might not be a good idea to get both, since they are so similar, and I really like what the big one does for the living room, so, I think I would choose that one.
  • 13 years ago
    WOW great new choices. You are well on your way now. You can do it on your own
  • 13 years ago
    Stunning! gorgeous! perfect for the look you want. i think the one in the foyer is great but too much like the one in the lr. What about the navy wine green brown one you had earlier. That might go?
  • 13 years ago
    LOVE both the new rugs but particularly the one in the living room. I agree with HERE Design that it's a bit too matchy matchy now though. Keep the living room and look for something complimentary in the foyer. You could try some sort of kilim in a fine pattern with complimentary/same colours. I'm not sure any of the below are 100% right but this is the idea:

    [houzz=
    Kilim Qasqagi · More Info
    ]

    [houzz=
    Kilim Qasqagi · More Info
    ]

    [houzz=
    Kilim Qasqagi · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Your new rugs are pretty, but they seem to be machine made. Personally, I don't use machine made rugs.
    Kilims are always pretty, but no comparison in quality.
  • 13 years ago
    Helga - what about them makes you think they're machine woven?

    They are from a rug dealer, hand woven/spun wool with a certificate. I am told they're Mamluks hand made from India. There is color variation in the dyed portions. I am told they're dyed with vegetable dyes. I am just wondering what you see that makes you think that. I don't want to get ripped off.
  • 13 years ago
    Or rather hand knotted. Doing some research to make sure these are authentic.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I really like the living room rug with your furniture. I like the way it works with the wood floor. I would opt for a different one for the foyer. The two rugs are too much alike. Now you can choose colors from the living room rug for your accessories. Good job!
  • 13 years ago
    Love the rugs now. what does not work is the wall color with your furniture. they are fighting each other.
  • 13 years ago
    I think it's the poor lighting from the lamp throwing off the color. I could be wrong but I'm fine with the wall color.

    So I'm hearing the star rug is now in the living room. So should I select something from the foyer that recedes into the background? I'm thinking natural fiber like someone mentioned with little pattern/color variation. I don't want a kilim there because its so heavy traffic and even with a pad I'm afraid it will get tripped on and jostled around by my toddler.
  • 13 years ago
    I did not think it looked machine made. I have been to Turkey and watched rugs hand knotted and have a number of hand knotted rugs in my home. I have been told hand knotted rugs from India are a bit less expensive than from other areas...maybe cheaper labor. But I thought the rug looked of a very good quality. Can't wait to see rug for foyer. Yes double check with dealer. You do have to be careful.
  • 13 years ago
    The new rug you chose for the living room is my favorite for that space of the rugs you have tried in there.

    For the foyer, why not look at indoor-outdoor carpet with a non-slip backing? Consider it as temporary as the tiles. It can be hosed off for cleaning in the warm months.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Kittybart, the Kilims of course are hand knotted. The large rug in the Living with the ones in the foyer matching, I would bet they are machine made.They look too even to be hand knotted. Wool- of course. But, if they were handmade, that size would cost you several thousand dollars. What did you pay for them? Don't share if you don't want to.......
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Helga - I did some research after your comment and I do believe they are authentic based on what I saw. The back patterns are strong, no additional backing added, the fringe is not sewn in or tacked in but rather integral to the rug itself. Several thousand dollars would've been a steal. I paid quite a lot for these and they were definitely not inexpensive. Thank you for your comment, though. I should be informed when making purchases like this.

    That being said, I am taking the foyer rug back. It competes with the living room and makes that one less stellar. Plus, I love the living room rug and I'm a little indifferent to the foyer rug.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi Kittybart, I like the rug in the living room, the one with the star pattern in the middle. Since you have also the same one in small for the foyer, and they look so smooth and even, it was just my impression that they are machine made. But the colors are lovely. So if that's what you like, you should keep it! Listen to yourself more than to others. You have to live with the rugs, so you should love them.
  • 13 years ago
    Where you bought the rug should tell you if it is machine made or hand knotted and there is a sticker on the back of the rug that will give you info. I agree if you love it does it matter.
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, I agree too - I love the one in the living room so that's what matters. I do care whether it is hand woven and authentic because that is what I was told and what I paid for. If these are not what the dealer says they are, then I paid WAY too much. So in that sense, it does matter and I just wanted to be certain.
  • 13 years ago
    I
    Oh gosh yes. I am glad you are checking. You do have to be so careful!! I did not realize you asked the dealer. I am glad he said yes so then you have that affirmation. Usually there is a sticker in one of the corners that gives you where it is from...India..turkey, etc. I have a rug similar to yours that I bought in Turkey and saw them making the rug in front of me. I believe hand knotted still can have great precision as the care that goes into it is interesting. It can take them one to two or three years to finish a rug. Does it have a sticker. Usually if you are buying from a reputable dealer price indicates the process. My neighbor across the street from me comes from India and she has told me they are less expensive than other prices...I believe due to labor cost.
  • 13 years ago
    I did not mean to insinuate to live with it disregarding the price. I would be fanatical checking to make sure I did not get ripped off. I don't know how much you paid so that is why I said that in the sense if you found out the price you paid is in line with machine made and it would cost much more money for hand knotted then keep it. The company I bought my rug from from turkey was in town and called to say he was in town so he must sell them or have displays at stores.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Yes, I believe I am dealing with a reputable dealer - but I have nothing to go on but his word (and now I can check since I educated myself). It does have a tag and also he is going to issue a certificate that verifies all the details he told me - hand spun wool, hand tied in India, etc. So I would always have that to back up if I were to find out otherwise that they were not authentic. He has consigned all these rugs to me (thousands of dollars worth), delivered them to my house and so forth so I think they are trustworthy or at the very least, willing to provide good service. He is cleaning two other rugs for me for free, cutting a pad for the new one and picking up the foyer rug - and I haven't paid him a cent yet. To me, that seems like a good indication.

    All that to say, it really doesn't matter the level of customer service. It's the ability to verify (from the best of my amateur knowledge), that these seem to be the real deal.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    If the dealer says that they are handmade, I would trust him. It's so hard for me to see from the picture.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Keep the new big rug! It looks beautiful!
  • 13 years ago
    love the rug in the living room.......not in love with the hallway rug but IF YOU LOVE IT then just add some red accents on the hall table to tie it together........red pillows on the sofas in the living room will pull your eye into the room without overdoing it.........
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    beren, a rug is NOT cheap because it is thin. some of the most expensive rugs, and I am talking about 13 thousand dollars 4x6 rugs are very, very thin. the red rug looks expensive, the old living rug looked cheap and machine made even if it is an inch think. Now if you are talking about you personally liking thick rugs, nothing can be disputed about that. But to say a rug is cheap because it is thin, it is simply not true. do your research
  • 13 years ago
    I am so glad for you. I thought it looked like a better rug. I am no expert but it just looked like a quality rug to me. What I have found is that real thin ones can be made of silk, which is very, very expensive.it is the cocoon that spins the silk so you can imagine. I have a thicker hand knotted rug. Your dealer sounds reputable. Glad your room is coming together so beautiful!
  • 13 years ago
    Sorry to say the red rug does not work, but I like the one in the LR. If you are going for rustic modern, consider a hide rug for the entry. The color will tie in nicely with the couches and a brown one may help tone down the pink tile.
    http://houzz.com/photos/246235
  • 13 years ago
    Another question: would you add a patterned pillow to this solid/textured gold pillows I have? Or would you stay with solids and texture?
  • 13 years ago
    I think you need a piece of art above your love seat. I would build the other layers after that. The wall art you decide on will dictate the other layers. If ithe art has lots of detail you may want to keep the pillows simpler because the rug has pattern.

    Pillow covers can be found relatively inexpensive. I like changing out pillows and throws from time to time to change the overall look. Recently I went from muted nature colors to reds with just the pillows. My rug is uneven blended stripes in muted earth tones, including a red, so my pillows all have patterns.

    Did you make a choice yet for the entry rug?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    OK so here I come after a while not really sure about that happened. I loved the original rug in the entry way. I thought you could add more red/wine to your living room with some pillows and curtains. Do you have the same rug in the entryway and living room now or am I confused?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    No GizV, no art yet. I am going to do either one long shelf or two shelves behind the couch and then layer art and black and white photos (at least that's the plan). I haven't selected a new foyer rug yet. I am thinking of a natural fiber rug and have this one ordered from Crate & Barrel, so time will tell. It has a more pronounced blue running through it than the photos show. It still might be too light, though.

    Staged - Here is an updated photo of the living room. I selected a new living room rug and tried out a couple foyer rugs, but ended up taking them all back and just keeping the living room rug. The foyer rug that I last selected was too similar to the living room.
  • 13 years ago
    Are your walls a pale yellow?
  • 13 years ago
    Bevballew - In the yellow family, yes.
  • 13 years ago
    Your living room rug was worth all the work you and your rug dealer put into it! A beautiful object lesson in the magic of the right carpet. Perhaps I should say, the Magic Carpet!
  • 13 years ago
    It looks,brighter on the computer. It is a beautiful color. On the computer,it looked,like a bright, bright,yellow. I like the foyer rug you chose. I hope it looks good. I asked wondering on the accent color you will choose. I think you need another set of pillows. I would say something that has all of the colors of the rug. I am not a decorator so i will be curious to see what they say.
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, Bevballew, the color has never looked right on the computer I think due to the way the lamp throws off a strange light. I need to remember to take a photo in the light of day.

    I am planing on adding a deep wine/burgundy red as pillows. OR...the color of blue that is in the rug. I just cannot seem to find the exact right colors. I may have to go the fabric store to pick something out. I wanted some texture though, so I was looking for pre-made in a cable knit, or something unique in terms of texture.
  • 13 years ago
    Your direction of pillows sounds great. Good luck! Love watching the transition!
  • 12 years ago
    All the colors in and around the the new rug are too neutral, compared to the red runner. My attention is focused on the rug and everything else is secondary. Rug is toooo dominant.