Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aurah

Exterior color scheme

aurah
7 years ago
Hi brilliant design minds! We're repainting our house a dark blue violet and I need help deciding to go light (nearly white) with trim (currently red) or stick with a darker color. Also, should I go a notch darker for the foundation? Some considerations are: I'd love a bright orange door bc our climate is so gray; I wonder about light trim under the roof; I like the way light trim with white windows makes the windows look bigger. Photos are (1) front (2) side (3) paint chips (4) a house a few blocks away that I love the look of (it's more blue and pink while my colors are more purple and orange). Thanks!!!

Comments (125)

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Aurah, you need to take the roof into account more than your neighbours houses.if you are really set on a bright house, why not get your roof sprayed red?

• luvourhome
    7 years ago

Ooh spray the roof... Great idea! But I'd spray it the same as the foundation colour I suggested ;-)

• aurah
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I really like the green based on color theory but we are surrounded by grey and green and I don't want those colors on the house. Not even really bright values of those. Red and orange, which I originally tried on the siding seem to make the greenery around the house look scraggly. Purple and pink are out bc my hubs says no. So shades of blue and yellow seem like my options, right?
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    Thank you for the feedback Aurah, that is very helpful. If you want blue then that is what you should do! I'm posting a few colors in the yellow family that are deeper and richer that I think relate well to the warm rust color of your roof . Yellow can be a difficult color; these may be easier to digest.
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    The colors
  • purrmichigan
    7 years ago

Blues for the facade, brown for the roof and yellow or gold or even orange for the door? Orange would be a natural with brown and blue.

• hmarney
    7 years ago
    This is so much fun!
    I like the green Romaine Deco provided (and a couple others) with a chartreuse door. Now that's fun. And an off white trim that compliments.
  • gallica3
    7 years ago

I like your original combo. I think the foundation should be darker, or even the same color as the siding. Hope to see the finished product!

• purrmichigan
    7 years ago

Just saw a comment you made about the roof being brown with red undertones. And you want a blue facade with purple undertones. So, in order to match the roof''s undertones you do need a blue that has red undertones and that means a bluish-purple. I could have said that much more succinctly, but it's late here in the D. To get the undertones matching will give you a cohesive and super attractive home.

• lynartist
    7 years ago
    Then Aurah should just stick to her original color of Admiral Blue because that is certainly a blue with red undertones.
  • luvourhome
    7 years ago

I was going to suggest a second door colour option to go with my blue combo. SW Confident Yellow 6911.

• luvourhome
    7 years ago

6915 Citronella trim, Confident Yellow door, Loyal Blue 6510 house.

• purrmichigan
    7 years ago

Ben Moore's Stratford Blue. Lighter than Admiral.

• lynartist
    7 years ago
    Ok Aurah, I'm running out of options here. Your husband said no purple . You said no green. And the original blue just didn't really work. So I know teal will look beautiful with the roof if you are willing to go for a slight Gwen blue.....
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    The colors
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    Oops , I meant green / blue
  • luvourhome
    7 years ago

@Aurah--Park City, Utah has colouful homes. Some of those combos may work. I was searching for snowy areas and that came up.

@Lyn--just curious if any of my suggestions would work with her roof? (I was just eyeballing colours).

• luvourhome
    7 years ago

@Aurah. How about The Red Dog Saloon paint colours? That just popped up for your area.

• luvourhome
    7 years ago

The downtown Clock Tower Colours!!! It has the blue, it has teal trim, and it would go with your roof! It looks like a station of some sort.

• lynartist
    7 years ago
    Here you go luvourhome!
  • purrmichigan
    7 years ago

I'm not liking the blue with green undertones. Think the blue with red undertones is warmer and again *cohesive with the roof*. Stratford Blue is a blue with red undertones. There's a limit to what can be decided online. Suggest picking up paint chips in some of these colors because what's seen on the monitor is always going to be different in your lighting.

• luvourhome
    7 years ago

@Lyn--where are my sunglasses? Lol. Thank-you for the sample. Not sure it's working, lol.

• luvourhome
    7 years ago

@PureMichigan. Let me guess...the colours I picked are too green, yep.

Oh computer monitors can lie...it's fun trying to pick colours, but can be challenging.

Okay, what about the clock tower colours?

• lynartist
    7 years ago
    I don't think Aurah will go for the teal either but certainly turquoise blue and rusty red are a classic combo in anyone's book!
  • luvourhome
    7 years ago

San Francisco beauty--the blue one. Although the yellow one next to it might be like the Citronella colour I was looking at.

• lynartist
    7 years ago
    Expl.
  • luvourhome
    7 years ago

Or there's the colourful Jellybean Row Houses, St. John's Newfoundland...

• luvourhome
    7 years ago

Or these ones...

oops, that's a shipping container house. Wrong file.

• luvourhome
    7 years ago

Okay, that's better.

• luvourhome
    7 years ago

http://www.nlgeotourism.com/#

I hope this link works...lots of colourful character homes. Darn, it won't let me link the pics. I wanted. Anyway, there's a whole section all about Jellybean homes. Lots of pictures with colour combos.

• luvourhome
    7 years ago

Iceland's Capital.

Okay, Aurah. Good luck with the painting! Post a pic. when you're done. :-)

• hmarney
    7 years ago
    I'm really digging lyn artist 10:13 color scheme!!
  • Valerie Gorman
    7 years ago
    I liked lynartists teal! How would it look with an orange door...?
  • groveraxle
    7 years ago

• lynartist
    7 years ago
    Too much.
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    A fine balance. This looks like election headquarters.
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    Let us know what you decide Aurah.
  • hmarney
    7 years ago
    That last color scheme looks great lynartist!
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    Thanks Hmarney, the darker grey is for the foundation, the very pale grey for the trim, the green for the door. I was just playing around;) here's another one.
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    Oops , forgot these
  • luvourhome
    7 years ago

@Valerie. Check out lynartist's first picture with the teal and the orange leaf. Gorgeous!

Yes, the orange door would work. And I like your little picture.

@puremichigan. Thanks for the reminder about the good old colour wheel. :-)

• Liz H
    7 years ago
    Two comments:

1) I like Grover's latest rendering the best.

2) I want to move to Reykjavik.
  • luvourhome
    7 years ago

@Lizzie. Lol. I've heard it's an awesome place. An old beau wanted to take me there years ago. I thought he was nuts. I don't regret not going with him for that (honeymoon), but I would like to visit. Greenland is ice. Iceland is green. Go figure. It also has fantastic hot springs. My husband and I flew over both countries on *our* honeymoon, and of all the times for a volcano in Iceland to erupt? Well, we picked it, lol. Iceland was not our friend at the time. We had more delays and cancellations and re-routes because of ash and clouds. We got to know Heathrow very well, lol. It was fascinating flying over an active volcano though. Maybe on our next visit that one will be asleep. ;-)

• aurah
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    We finished painting! Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions - you greatly helped me figure out how to work with the roof, and choose trim and base color. Thank you!!
  • luvourhome
    7 years ago

Hey Aurah, looks great! It's a great change and your house looks clean and happy.

I see you chose the black foundation? Cool, thanks. I'm glad the idea worked for you. It adds a nice solid weight to the house and lets the best parts shine.

And you got a good compromise on the door (no pink, huh?). It looks just pink enough in the photo.

So when are you ready to paint your fence? I think a few of us here would have fun picking colours with you, lol.

Thanks so much for posting! :-)

• aurah
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @luvourhome, I know everything else looks so shabby!
  • luvourhome
    7 years ago

Naaahh, just needs a bit of tweakin' now that the painting is done.

Black Tremclad rust paint on the metal railing, a few tweaks on the flower-beds...the fence paint. Minor stuff.

• Lynn Davis
    7 years ago
    Looks great. Love your choice of colors!
  • PRO
    KGJ FENCE
    7 years ago
    i have to say i love Fences even the old picket fence weathered looks great
    and chainlink to keep dog and kids in yard.. keep them safe. KGJ FENCE when you need a repair new or decorative privacy Fence
    Give us a call kgjfence.com