Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_32119241

Garbage Disposal

User
8 years ago

I was at my MFG home dealer on Friday going over the building specs for my Clayton SW 16x76. And I brought up the need for a garbage disposal. My sells rep didn't think she's ever seen one in a mfg home and the service/maintenance guy was there too and he said he'd never seen one.

I thought that they were joking with me but they were serious. My dealer is going to have to ask the builder about it! So I want to ask y'all: "Do you have or have you ever seen a garbage disposal in a mfg home? And, if the builder cannot put it in, should I be able to buy one from, say, Sears and have them install it -- will the plumbing and drain, etc. be receptive to having one installed?

Comments (5)

• cathyyg
    8 years ago

Garbage disposals are very common in manufactured homes that are not hooked up to septic tanks. Like in manufactured home parks in town. It was an option on my home that I foolishly declined, with intent to compost instead. If you want a garbage disposal at a future date, the single biggest issue is making sure an electrical outlet is installed under the sink that is controlled by a switch on the wall near the sink. Those can't be installed after the fact, if it is an outside wall, due to the steel framing of a manufactured home, and we all like to have window over the sink so it's probably an outside wall. The plumbing issues are minor compared to the electrical issue.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Cathy, this is fantastic information. Just what I was looking for. Thanks so much. I'm going to meet with the manager of the MHP today and I'll double check, I think he said the park is on well water and it is included with the park fee. I'll have to make sure.

And, it's early enough that I can get the switch installed when the home is built. Now that you mentioned it, I think I remember some people with the switch for the disposal in the cabinet under the sink. Gosh, that goes back a long way. I think it was when they were first becoming popular so the switch wasn't installed during construction. The disposal was added later and you had to open the cabinet door to access the switch.

Thanks again!

• User
    8 years ago

A general rule of thumb is that unless there is a city sewer line, garbage disposals are not recommended. Every home I've lived in had a septic system and I never have used a garbage disposal because the septic system can't break down everything fast enough.

• cathyyg
    8 years ago

What Christopher_H said. If the place is on well water, it is less likely to be on city sewer than if it is on city water. Check with the park about the sewer connection. The switch under the sink was going to be my only option for a garbage disposal, and doing even that was going to be massively destructive to the back of my kitchen cabinet and the wall of my home under the sink.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Found out from the MHP mgr. that the park is on city water & sewer.

And, found out from the dealer that they will be able to install the disposal.

Issue settled. :-)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz