Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlsymon

Kitchen black granite white cabs, light gray wall - accent color?

Diane Symon
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I need to purchase 4 bar stools and need help of what color...need good accent in general. Appliances and gadget holder all in ssteel. Backsplace coming soon. Currently have blue/white vases in back shelf. This is a full-time live in beach cottage. Family room has old style red brick fireplace.

Comments (30)

• Barbara Lane
    7 years ago
    Lipstick red
    Diane Symon thanked Barbara Lane
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

Ditto red.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 years ago

Are you going to get any rugs? A beautiful runner would decide what colors you like. You space is so flexible right now.

46 Annandale · More Info

• Kathy
    7 years ago
    Royal blue with bright yellow.
    http://pin.it/0l9MrqB
    Diane Symon thanked Kathy
  • PRO
    Interior Designer - Home Stylist
    7 years ago

yellow would be fun!

Diane Symon thanked Interior Designer - Home Stylist
  • Kathy
    7 years ago
    Royal with gray
    My Houzz: Eclectic Finds in Maryland · More Info
  • PRO
    Amethyst Interiors LLC
    7 years ago
    I would go with a beachy woven texture of some kind. This could be a woven construction or a natural looking woven fabric upholstery or slipcover. You definitely need some texture to balance all of the hard surfaces.
  • Kathy
    7 years ago
    Yes, texture of some kind. Seagrass comes to mind.
    Diane Symon thanked Kathy
  • acm
    7 years ago

I'm confused -- is this color for your backsplash too? Will that have color or be white?

• Diane Symon
    Original Author
    7 years ago

no backsplash is white marble...this is just for accent...bar stool color, decor etc.

• Bev
    7 years ago

Red is the perfect accent color for black and white! I have a black and white bathroom and I purchased red fluffy throw rugs; red plush bath towels; and red and black ceramic soap dishes made by an Etsy friend!

• PRO
    Tischler Wood
    7 years ago

Take a closer look at your last photo with the orange bucket on the floor....excellent accent color that works with Blue as well!

• KD
    7 years ago
    That is a gorgeous kitchen.

Since it is just a soft furnishings accent color and your kitchen is so neutral, what colors do YOU like? Pick something where the color makes you happy to see it. Lots of people are suggesting red or orange but I prefer blues myself.

I think the biggest constraint is that you don't want too soft a color since the black and white contrast is strong - a pastel shade would look kind of wimpy. But any saturated color might work well - I'd probably be looking at some kind of bright sky blue myself, as it would remind me of the beach and the sky just outside. Blue is a color where I feel good when I see it. :)

The other route you can go is to look for a key piece - like a runner if you want one, or a painting if there is a wall in the room to put something on, and then pull a color or colors from there.

But basically go with what catches your eye and you think would be fun to see every day when you use the kitchen.
    Diane Symon thanked KD
  • anthip
    7 years ago

Not red. Too obvious. I like the blue and yellow (egg yolk or rich, deep buttercup) idea.

Diane Symon thanked anthip
  • Kathy
    7 years ago
    Bump
  • PRO
    LVX Painting
    7 years ago

Agree that red is too obvious and over-used. What about Downing Slate, a blue-gray?

Downing Slate from Sherwin-Williams

• PRO
    Astonia Stone Artisans
    7 years ago

I think Royal Blue would be awesome!

• Beverly Webster
    7 years ago

Aqua

• Heather Macdonald
    7 years ago
    I would choose art or poster for the wall beside the peninsula , then pull a colour from there.
  • PRO
    User
    7 years ago

You may want to consider a backsplash of mine - silver wave

RECEPTION · More Info
    sil

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

if it's a beach cottage, then do beachy colors. Blues, aquas and soft greens. You said you had blue and white vase in cabinet, play off the blue/green scheme. And I agree about some texture.

• KD
    7 years ago

@Beth - yes, that's what I'm thinking, some beachy colors. You may want to go a little more saturated (a lot of beach stuff looks kind of washed out and soft and weathered?) to stand up to the strength of the black and white, but I'm sure there are beach colors that will work.

• PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    7 years ago

I agree that Royal blue is wonderful, but if you prefer warm colors, go with orange.

• felizlady
    7 years ago
    What is your favorite color? That's the color! Or pick a patterned rug for the adjacent space and select a color from the rug. If you want to accentuate the beach house location, pick a color from a sunny day ocean. Make sure the stools have backs and supports to put your feet on. Stools come in colors, too. Look at overstock.com....I found great stools there.
  • kjoy1
    7 years ago

Turquoise? These are from Target. Good luck.

• PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    7 years ago

Definitely no red. Too stark, and a reminder of the 80s. Brick orange, turquoise blue, mix of aquas, greens, yellows... You have a blank slate. It all depends on what you like.

I superimposed some of my artwork on your wall so you can play with it. All listed here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/shoagallery

Enjoy decorating!

• livinginsb
    7 years ago
    I've looked everywhere to get this answer. Need your help. Where can I get instructions on how to use the houzz sketchbook app. How do you add elements to somebody's photo then upload so the person inquiring can see?
  • livinginsb
    7 years ago
    I can upload a photo from my own computer library but can't get it from sketchbook back to design dilemma post.
  • livinginsb
    7 years ago
    Yellow, sea foam, soft lime green.....not red