Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mellowd_tx

Hydrangea blooms are very small

mellowd_tx
7 years ago

What do I do for established hydrangeas that are blooming but the blooms themselves are very small. Maybe a 1/4 as large as they have been in the past. They were like this last year but I thought it was the really late frost we got that had stunted their growth and this year no late frost. Please help me.

Comments (15)

• October_Gardens
    7 years ago

For one thing, you'll get smaller blooms from *near* the tops of stems on old wood. That is, smaller than terminal bud blooms and smaller than blooms that occur at the end of new canes. If you have small terminal bud blooms I would suspect some type of stunting event.

• mellowd_tx
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I thought old wood was the only part that bloomed....

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

Since there are a number of different species of hydrangeas and those different species often require very different growing and care methods, it would be very helpful if posters told us what kind of hydrangeas they are growing. We could very well be discussing complete different plants without that information!!

mellowd_tx thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • October_Gardens
    7 years ago

On lots of breeds you'll get a few new wood blooms every now and then. I was just citing that as an example that blooms from the very ends of thick canes always produce the largest blooms, regardless or whether the cane is green (new) or brown (old).

mellowd_tx thanked October_Gardens
  • mellowd_tx
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I will post pictures this weekend... thank you all for you insight!

• Jackie
    3 years ago

I am having the exact same issue this year. I am going to move mine next spring to see if location change will help. They are currently on the north side of the house. I’m in zone 7. I don’t prune them.

• mmp01
    3 years ago

Same here! Endless Summers. I’m also in zone 7. Should I cut them back after they bloom so the blooms are big next year?

• Trish
    3 years ago

I’m also zone 7 and my endless summer have small blooms this year. Never been pruned, maybe 4 years old?

• luis_pr
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I had winter damage this year. I am guessing that my/your flower buds were partially injured (as opposed to getting killed) as there were few flowers that bloomed, the ones that did open were small and the affected plants were mopheads, lacecaps and serratas only (which tend to be damaged more often in winter)... Oakleaf flower buds were not affected.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

I will just say that there is no relationship between pruning and flower size. So pruning after blooming - whenever that might be...in my climate they bloom until frost - is not going to help. And could very well eliminate or reduce flowering for next season if left too late.

• S G
    2 years ago

I am in zone 7 having the same issue, I pruned almost down to ground two years ago , would that be responsible for smaller size blooms , anything I can do now ?

• S G
    2 years ago

I have both mop heads and smooth

• luis_pr
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Wow, if you pruned them all the way down, yes, I can see that happening. I was at a plant nursery just minutes ago. They had a smooth hydrangea in two different sized pots, a one gallon pot and a much, much larger pot (guessing 5 gallons pot). You could tell there was a bloom size difference and a shrub height/width difference.

• S G
    2 years ago

They have grown back to 4 greet height but blooms are small