Software
Houzz Logo Print
jandmsaab

Cabinet/floor color?

We ordered Cherry cabinets/wheat stain...I think dark floors would look great but think they would show to much dirt. I am trying to find something with lights& darks but not too busy looking. Everything I like ends up matching too closely to my cabinets..is this ok? The island is a cream color-open floor plan to living room. Entire area will have same flooring.

Comments (12)

  • 10 years ago
    Personally, I would not select a floor so close to your cabinets. it would too much of the "same". I would go darker with some variations in color such as the floor in the image. it is a different look than what you have selected. it also is easy to maintain. http://duchateau.com/departments/flooring/terra-panga/
  • 10 years ago
    I like the darker of your top two
  • 10 years ago
    Search through some houzz pictures. We went with the same stain cabinets and floor, and we love it. Ours floors are character grade, so it gives it some added interest. But I found lots of beautiful kitchens on houzz with the floor and cabinets almost matching. We have low ceilings, and it makes it look bigger since the space isn't so broken up.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I suggest that you go with darker wood stain for the kitchen cabinets.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    With cherry cabinets, go lighter for the floor. Have you considered a tile floor for the kitchen instead of wood -- no need to be concerned about contrast.

  • 10 years ago
    Cabinet color is already ordered & arrive in a few days...if we did different flooring for kitchen I'm afraid it would break it up too much. I don't want tile-any other suggestions?
  • 10 years ago

    Do a Houzz and / or google image search of "wood cabinet kitchen wood floor".

    You will see that many wood floors are close to the cabinet color, and others are not. My own wood floor is similar to my cabinet color and has not been a problem for me.

  • 10 years ago

    Lots of people who have closely matching floors and cabinets end up painting the latter -- it's just too much the feel of being trapped in a cigar box, even if you love the color.

    I'd try going several shades lighter in flooring, maybe a white oak with a natural finish.


    Custom Cherry Wood Cabinets · More Info


    Functional Kitchen Idea · More Info

    Hartung Residence · More Info

    Traditional Kitchen · More Info


    Alternatively, something darker but with a gray stain that gives contrast -- you'd want to check the undertones if you took that approach, so things still coexist pleasantly. Otherwise, a bit darker than the samples you have, I think.


    Pines Home · More Info


    Urban Cottage · More Info



    Kitchen · More Info


    David Heide Design Studio · More Info


    Here's the effect with closely matched wood:


    Mt.Holly New Jersey Kitchen Remodel · More Info


    a house in a garden · More Info

    It's a bit hard if the wood is in many rooms and you feel denied your favorite pick. If that's the case, you'll have to decide whether you can feel ok about a more monotone effect in the kitchen (perhaps lessened by the light island) or whether you'd rather carve out a tile area and let the wood be whatever you choose; nothing wrong with tile! :)



  • 10 years ago

    The amount of cabinetry can also affect your decision. I have an L shaped kitchen, so only two walls of cabinetry. Some people have U shaped with lots of uppers and lowers and that contributes to the cigar box affect.

  • 10 years ago
    What style is your house and what year was it built? Isi t important to you that the floors "match" the history/style of your home?

    So with the caveats of not knowing the age of your house or your style preference, I would use a slightly lighter stain for your floors. Something like Early American from Minwax (I'm a big fan and used it in three of my homes.) The slight contrast will make the cabinets stand out more. And if your house has some history will be a timeless classic.

    Something else to consider is that cherry cabinets will darken over time. So if you stick with your flooring choice, the cabinets will provide some contrast on their own down the road!
  • 10 years ago
    New construction that should be complete in a few months, craftsman/transitional.U shaped kitchen with large island(in cream color-cabinets around fireplace match cream island) small bar area matches kitchen cabinets.