Software
Houzz Logo Print
helplesshouse

Helpless Through the Looking Glass

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

I was thinking of putting these mirrors above my night stands. But now I've bought them, I think they're too small. What do you think? I was aiming for something like the fancy gold one in the picture below, but that one is too big (and too pricey!), so I found this low end version with a view to destroying it with my pitiful gold frame painting techniques in an effort to make it look like the high end. Now I'm not sure about the shape either! Your ideas and input would be much appreciated before I get started on it, as the shop said it would take them back. Thanks in advance.



Comments (46)

  • 10 years ago

    No, not too small. But the nightstands are two different heights so you shouldn't try to use the same mirror on both. That will look "off".

  • 10 years ago

    It would work if the nightstand was shorter and the mirror was taller. :)

  • 10 years ago

    I don't think the mirrors look too small and I like the shape - However the night stands do not appear to be the same height (is one missing the base?) If they do not match I would not use the mirrors as they would call attention to the mismatched tables. You need some handsome table lamps. If the tables do not match, try to get lamps that compliment each other and would finish at the same height. A multi color throw or monochromatic throw with texture would add more interest at the foot of the bed. Even with the mirrors I think you need a large piece of art over the bed (40" or larger), probably a square shape (or close to square) NOT a rectangle that echoes the mirrors. If you are wanting to stay monochromatic look for a tone on tone silhouette or add a splash of color with a more modern abstract.

  • 10 years ago

    Hi Leelee, Thanks for your reply. I thought if I hang both mirrors at the same height then I can disguise the difference in nightstand height with lamps and all that. What do you think of the shape?

  • 10 years ago

    You need two lamps but not the same lamp. Or try the short lamp on the taller chest and get a taller lamp for the shorter stand.

    I'm wondering why you chose two different heights for the bedside tables?

  • 10 years ago

    Your plan would work if you use several thick books to raise the visual height of the shorter table. Then use matching lamps with one set on the stack of books.

  • 10 years ago

    Well, i didn't actually choose them like that on purpose. I bought them from a second hand stuff website and painted them. I would prefer them the same, but for now.....

  • 10 years ago
    If the night stands are different heights don't try to subtle camouflage that. Go more exaggerated with different lamps and different mirrors and just let the final height on each side be the same. The pieces will need to compliment each other and think of balance as weight on each side. I do like the idea of lamps in front of mirrors. NOW my biggest concern is making each side taller with night stands, mirrors and lamps and you have a big huge negative space right smack in the middle of this elevation. You need to put more emphasis on that and less on the side pieces.
    helplesshouse thanked julieru
  • 10 years ago

    Hi julieru, well that has given me something else to think about!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    By the way, that lamp (Beatrix Potter; Mr. Mcgregor and Peter Rabbit) is borrowed from the spare room. I'm looking for lamps as well, but haven't found anything I really like yet. If you know of just the thing, or some ideas then please do let me know. Like the idea of balancing out the mismatch height with weighting, but I would like to keep the mirror the same on both sides. I suppose there is the option of a big sunburst mirror in the middle of the wall, but I don't think I would sleep soundly for worrying about it falling on top of me in the night! Also the mirrors are just leaning on the chest for now, I would probably hang them about 6 inches or so higher than they are now?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    As to how much shape/detail, I like how your bed is simpler - tufting, etc. and room would start looking too busy. I like the frame as it is, simpler, seen next to textured stands. I'd wish to see in person, but try as they are.

    helplesshouse thanked everdebz
  • 10 years ago

    I would probably do one mirror and something totally different over the second nightstand Maybe a tall lamp on the shorter nightstand and the mirror over the taller nightstand and low vase or bowl on the taller nightstand

  • 10 years ago

    I've got another couple of mirrors around the house, I could bring them in to the bedroom tomorrow and take a couple of photos for comparison with shape?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Glass lamp by the window to catch light - something like this ?

    And this might seem puny, but ?

    Art-Win Lighting T10015 Handmade Mosaic Table Lamp, Red · More Info


    Marrakech Design Cutout Metal and Fabric Cylinder Table Lamp · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    Wow everdebz, that's impressive, it looks massive. I could dig out my recycling bin find.

  • 10 years ago
    FWIW, I think the mirror is too close to the width and height of the nightstand. It needs to be shorter or maybe round. I agree with others on how to work with 2 different heights. If you want to keep the mirrors, maybe they would work together hanging above the bed?
  • 10 years ago

    Fangio Lighting's #7643 27" Resin Table Lamp, Moroccan Gold Finish · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Why do some of mine post large idk!

    But your find, is super - will that go here? Could it be fitted for low wattage lamp?

  • 10 years ago

    Yes, Bgal231 that is a good point about the mirrors being the same overall height and shape as the nightstands. Also, I'm not sure they go with the ceiling light, in terms of style. Maybe I should re-think before I get the paint out.

    I'll have to check out the recycled thing for possible light fittings as I've just parked it out of the way, somewhere.

  • 10 years ago

    I don't mean to offend, but I'll ask if you'd like another look for the hanging light: after removing glass, add a shade? spray it a medium tone for contrast? I see it has shine. If a bigger room, maybe a bronze look.

    Elle's House · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    Help us out - does mirror shown have a darker look/ does stand have a light informal look [rattan? idk]?

    I ask cause something is out of balance between shiny gold, white, and antiqued.. just me? Tomorrow your other mirror.....!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    If you hang the Moroccan fixture so that it is visually fills the space above the headboard then you certainly won't need anything else there. It might need to hang about 18" lower than the one you have now.

    Here's a nice mismatched look.

    helplesshouse thanked leelee
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks to everyone for the advice, it certainly helps to clarify what I am hoping for in the room. I do like the existing light fitting, although I think it is a bit high. I couldn't find any more of that shiny gold chain to lower it I'll keep looking. I think the recycle find would be a fantastic idea for a chandelier in the room if I didn't like the existing light so much. I'll keep it in reserve. I think I could easily make it into a lamp by just lowering / glueing it on top of a lamp base and bulb. I've decided to take the mirrors back to the shop. Thinking over all your advice and observations, I realise that if I am keeping the light fitting, which gives me a kind of 70's style idea, then that mirror, both style and colour is never going to work. Back to the drawing board. Now, I'm thinking either shiny gold metal frame circle/oval or geometric or white frame don't know what shape. Here is a close up of the ceiling light, again any advice welcome and thanks.

  • 10 years ago

    I think you should get different length mirrors and then hang them so the tops are even. I would then use matching lamps and place the one on the left on a few books.

    helplesshouse thanked emmarene9
  • 10 years ago

    The mirrors are a bit heavy to move, so I'm waiting for hubby to get back so I can try them out. But I managed the small white one and I'm posting pictures of the others. The silver leaf one is too big to put there, but what do you think of the shape? How about the colour of the white one?

    For any mirrors, I would plan to hang them at the same height and aim for symmetry in the overall look.




  • 10 years ago

    Wow, love chinoiserie stuff. never thought about anything like that.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    So I took back the first two mirrors but didn't buy anything else yet. Although I saw these today - and many more. Does anyone like any of these?

  • 10 years ago

    And possible lamps? I like the shape of the first one, but would use plain shades and paint the base gold. Should I go for a colour, perhaps?

  • 10 years ago

    I haven't had time to continue following this thread but I still think the ideal situation would be two nightstands of the same, correct height with the same mirror on each side and mirrors that are significantly taller than they are wide. For this reason I don't think round mirrors work as well. I think the concept of mirrors above nightstands works best when the look is symmetrical and when the mirrors are tall enough to visually draw the eye up. You could then add artwork above the bed between the two mirrors. :)

    helplesshouse thanked Elle
  • 10 years ago

    I think I remember somebody posted to do just one mirror on one side and art on the other. You could use two different lamps in that case. You've tried so many options, try this one too.

    If you're going to have art and/or mirrors on each side of the bed maybe the headboard would look better without anything over it.

    helplesshouse thanked leelee
  • 10 years ago

    Lamps will need to work with the mirror you choose. Again, it's okay to use two different lamps but it might be easier to get a pair.

  • 10 years ago

    Looking back at the two nightstands, you're going to need a shorter lamp for the taller table. It's quite tall for the height of the bed. Usually you would go for a bedside table that was just about as tall as the bed. That way the lamp would be the right height for reading in bed. A shorter lamp will work best for the bigger stand. Here's one for each.

  • 10 years ago

    helplesshouse thanked leelee
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I'm so sorry I haven't had time to read through all of the suggestions (some very good ones). I believe you can still use the mirrors you purchased if you hang them higher on the wall (equal height with each other). That will help to camouflage the fact that your tables are different heights. You could also put a large decorative box on the smaller night stand to give it some height. Would be a good collector of odds and ends. Hang pendant lights over each night stand. This tread is so long that you have probably worked out much of your issue. If not, this would be a quick fix and would look nice. I'd love to see what you finally do.

    helplesshouse thanked nramsey1
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks to everyone for their great advice and comments. I've have found a nice mirror that I think will work but it's out of stock at the moment (the gold version of the first picture below). The second mirror I love, but have no idea where to buy it, I found the picture on google, with no reference. If anyone knows, I'd like to hear where I could find it.

    Great lamp choices and advice on sizes, so thank you very much for that. I'll get the mirrors first, then try out a few lamps to see which ones will work best. It might take me some weeks, as the mirrors are due to be restocked in the middle of June, but I'll post when I've completed it.

    I'll definitely go with the white box idea on top of the lower chest, so as to even up the appearance of the nightstands.

  • 10 years ago

    Love those mirrors. Stylish without being gaudy or over-done. Will look great with your wallpaper.

  • 10 years ago

    When you get the mirrors consider adding a rug partially under the bed to soften the look of the tile. Even a jute or sisal would be a nice touch.

    helplesshouse thanked leelee
  • 10 years ago

    This is sort of how rug should be placed with bed partially over.

  • 10 years ago

    Yes, I like the idea of the lower night stand with a white storage item, the 2 gold mirrors you found for the night stands and 2 lamps that match. Later, a rug would be nice. Nothing over the bed.

    helplesshouse thanked daliartfan
  • 10 years ago

    No luck on the mirrors yet, when I ordered them, the company came back to say that they only deliver to the US Mainland. Back to the mirror hunt, we go...

    I've contacted the company who made the bed to see if they can cut off the top drawer from the bedside cupboard, thereby making them both the same size. (No reply yet, I'll keep you posted).

    I love both the rugs, and would tend towards wool over jute, I think, in a contemporary pattern. The problem here is that it is very hot, and rugs make things hotter. But I don't see an alternative to a rug. Would small rugs either side of the bed work?

    Also thinking of these lamps or something similar? A bit left field, but I thought it might bring some balance. Just an idea at the moment.

  • 10 years ago

    It is cute but I can't tell the size in relation to your nightstands. Also overpriced, IMO.

  • 10 years ago

    Just a thought, hang them. Live with them for a few days and see. I like the different size nightstands and I like the light for the ceiling. In our house I have the lamp on my side of the bed, husband has pictures over his nightstand. He had a lamp, never once turned it on. When we moved, he requested it to be moved to another location. I do agree there is a huge negative over the headboard. Go with your gut, you are the ones that see this every day. Put stuff up and live with it, you will either learn you like it or love it, or OMG no that is horrible and has to come down.

  • 10 years ago

    Measure the height difference between the two nightstands. Then measure the length of the legs on the taller cabinet....are they the same? If they are then just remove the legs on the taller cabinet.


  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Sorry but the lamp is not good--looks like an office desk lamp. Not right with your wallpaper. Need something softer. Also not complimentary to the style of mirror you posted earlier. You could add a color.


  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    One larger rug would look much better than two smaller ones.