Software
Houzz Logo Print
skowski

Exterior design-help please

10 years ago
Framing is complete, but the details are not. the picture below is what our home looks like framed. However it's time to pick out vinyl, rock, and possible shutters. I'm leaning more toward the idea of a dark grey vinyl siding with wide white trim around the Windows. any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments (10)

  • 10 years ago
    And do not allow your builder to put plants that close to the house or your sidewalk in that way. It doesn't look right.
  • 10 years ago

    I second the opinion , use a fiber cement product.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    No to vinyl siding, please. House trailers, sure, but not a new home - your investment! Leave the shutters off as they scream faux (don't cover the window openings as real shutters were meant to). If budget is a consideration leave off the stone (most of the stuff seen on homes screams fake) and go all hardieboard siding. Hardie also has a shingle siding but there are other products to consider. PS: the unnecessary brackets under the faux post and beam detail should be left out. Best of luck.

  • 10 years ago

    PPS: I'll post this shot of our workshop done in board and batten style with Hardieboard panel product as an example. The cedar shingle would be Hardi shingle instead for easy maintenance.


    Church conversion · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    Thank you for the info! Love the workshop!
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I do agree with Rusty Empire ! Have you thought of using Maibec siding ? They have the board and batten siding,cedar shingles and vertical boards. Please do not install vinyl siding...

  • 10 years ago

    Yes, fiber cement siding is great: doesn't look plastic, has some fire protection & insect resistance. Most people think it's called hardieboard, but that's a brand name. There are others. We used CertainTeed, but they sold it to Allura.

    We've been very happy with our now 8-year-old fiber cement shingle siding. Still looks like new.

  • 10 years ago

    Shop around there are several brands, the premium product (and therefore more expensive) IMO is NICHIHA. Think realistically how long your going to live in your new place, any stay over 6 years the fiber cement product pays a dividend. The place will still look great and you forego the cost of painting the majority of the exterior.


  • 10 years ago
    I was the original poster who recommended cement board or similar product and I recommended it because I had cedar siding which was a PAIN to maintain. My brother had vinyl and spent every single summer power washing the mildew and green slime off the north and east side of the house. The first major hail storm & it destroyed his vinyl siding. Yes the insurance replaced it but his premiums went up (like double). I put on Hardie Board and a decade later, no issues. And let's be blunt, vinyl is fugly. It only looks worse the longer it is up. I agree, put up a better siding and skip some of the decorate trim. Why Americans put up cheap roofs and siding is beyond my comprehension - you literally skimp on the roof over your head.