Software
Houzz Logo Print
dfurstenberg19

Hardwood floor staining

10 years ago

Would love advice from you pros out there. New construction. Our builder lays oak floor (red oak) sands and stains on site, the "old fashioned way". His floor guy uses Minwax. We looked at samples in brochure and like the blend they show which is Ebony and Classic Gray. Friends who built in sub were told by the floor guy he could not add gray because it is a pastel and it would be much more expensive and a different process. Is there really a reason why it would be more expensive or a different process to mix those two colors rather than using one color of Minwax? Aren't the two stains just mixed at Home Depot or wherever he buys it and then the floor stained the same way as if you just bought one color? Appreciate any insight on this!

Comments (3)

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    As a woodworker, I avoided Minwax varnishes. I was told the content of soy was higher than premium products and it would yellow with age as compared to other brands. By association, I include the stains in the same barrel. It might be okay with floors, but for the amount I'm assuming you're paying for solid oak floors, I'd want a premium brand.

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks solar. The oak floors were standard. We won't have a choice on brand of stain. Having worked for a national homebuilder for almost 20 years, I recognize that you can't dictate to builder what to use. As it is, this is a small builder giving us more more flexibility that the large builders do. I'm more curious as to whether there really is a difference in cost to stain the floor using one color as opposed to having two colors mixed.